• Apr 17th, 2018 8:49 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 22, 2009
74 posts
Vancouver
consumerPI wrote:
Jun 8th, 2009 10:42 am
What do you guys think about the new Ecoped City45 that Walmart has for $998?
[IMG]http://www.electricbikee.com/wp-content ... ecoped.jpg[/IMG]
Ya, I saw these at walmart in Abbotsford. They "look" ok, but are a little small for me. The footwells cannot accomodate my size11s and if it did fit, my knees hit the handlebars (im 6'1"). Putting my feet on pedals allows me to turn.

But I haven't seen one of these in action.
Aug 20, 2009
1 posts
toronto
Like anything, you need to research what's good and what's not. I got a deal on my bike by Nicom-Switch 100. It's been great. Was talking to a dealer in Toronto, and he said there is a lot of Can. Tire and Walmart junk out there which has given people the idea they're all garbage...not the case.

Anybody I've crossed paths with who owns a Veloteq loves it, and the same with my bike. I talked to a guy who owns the new Walmart ecoped and didn't have anything bad to say about it. He was doubling his girlfriend and I couldn't catch up to him..he was maintaining 32 kms no problem. Hopefully the good dealers will sell the high quality manufactured bikes.

Cheers.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39199 posts
3501 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
The one thing that annoys me about e-bikes, are the riders that ride them as if they are gas powered scooters.

These things are good for about 32km/hr. Yet some riders insist on riding them right in the middle of the road despite not being able to keep up with traffic.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
7889 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto
Hoping to grab one of these in the fall if they drop in price before winter arrives.
consumerPI wrote:
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 21st, 2009 3:32 pm
The one thing that annoys me about e-bikes, are the riders that ride them as if they are gas powered scooters.

These things are good for about 32km/hr. Yet some riders insist on riding them right in the middle of the road despite not being able to keep up with traffic.
This may be irritating but cyclists and e-bikers are allowed to take up the rightmost lane when surface on the 1.5m closests to the curb is unrideable.
Jan 24, 2005
338 posts
Downtown Toronto
While I'm a dedicated cyclist downtown Toronto. I can appreciate people who ride e-bikes. Since they are about 100 times more efficient than an automobile, have zero-emissions, and do not create noise pollution they are an excellent form of transportation.

Hopefully the government shares my sentiment and gives them a good classification after the study is up on October 3rd.

http://www.greenr.ca/2009/08/ebikes-in-canada/

-Clinton
Greenr - We All Play A Part
http://www.greenr.ca/
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15888 posts
596 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
I should fix mine, but summer is almost over and im poor =/

anyone know how to fix e bikes for cheap/timhortons/free?
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16089 posts
12772 upvotes
Toronto
consumerPI wrote:
[IMG]http://www.electricbikee.com/wp-content ... ecoped.jpg[/IMG]
I was about to pull the trigger on one of these. Then a few things happened. I joined their fan page on Facebook where I read about many troubling stories regarding the electrical systems and overall fit/finish. Then I actually examined the bike in detail at the Dufferin Mall Walmart. Finally I met an ebike mechanic at the CNE. I learned that the Ecoped has experienced higher than normal failure rates on certain key components.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Veloteq. However Canadian Tire has all its Ebikes on sale currently.
Jun 28, 2007
300 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
^ lol, youre comparing apple to orange, one is an ebike and the other is a escooter

I wouldn't recommend any of them, too heavy

electric transportation can be reliable and fun but you gotta pay the price, dont cheap out unless you can wait 5 years for the price to come down
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16089 posts
12772 upvotes
Toronto
UPDATE - ended up buying a Veloteq Challenger. Really nice guy bought 2 ebikes to ride with his wife but they ended up not using them. Got mine from him for 1/2 price with less than 24K on the odometer! Rode it a lot last night and brought it to work today.

BTW - he still has the Cougar left. It too has less than 30K on the odo and he is asking just $850 for it. Great value. Link to his ad here.
Jan 22, 2009
74 posts
Vancouver
So what is the recommendation for electric assist bicycles?

I don't want electric scooters or bicycles that run without peddling. Why? because of the distance factor, I don't want to get stranded hauling 25lbs extra pounds of batteries up a hill with awkward peddles with only one gear.
So an electric assist would be good, less power, less weight, use only for uphills assisted and ride normally, for small grades and flats.

I am not sure why bicycle conversions costs more than new bikes, even some electric bikes. O_O
Aug 25, 2007
4 posts
Oshawa
[quote="consumerPI" post_id="8872380" time="1244472178" user_id="1350"]What do you guys think about the new Ecoped City45 that Walmart has for $998?

:cheesygri I bought an eco-ped after losing my licence for medical reasons. I am VERY happy with it and have had no troubles so far. I have had it for 5 monthes and have enjoyed it. On hiway 2 between Port Hope and Coburg I ride along the bike lane (12 k each way) at the legal speed (32 k) and have had no trouble.

I am a happy 48 yr old with the bike and for a thousand bucks it has given me a lot of happy!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39199 posts
3501 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
'Sash[DSL wrote:;9299306']This may be irritating but cyclists and e-bikers are allowed to take up the rightmost lane when surface on the 1.5m closests to the curb is unrideable.
Thats cool.
But the people I'm talking about ride them like a MOTORIZED vehicle... taking up the middle and left lanes...

Although this is technically allowed they are just death traps/accidents waiting to happen.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2009 4:53 pm
Thats cool.
But the people I'm talking about ride them like a MOTORIZED vehicle... taking up the middle and left lanes...

Although this is technically allowed they are just death traps/accidents waiting to happen.
you mean riding continously, not just to move to left lane to make a left turn? That would be pretty stupid of them, definitely an accident waiting to happen :confused: