The OFFICIAL E-bike(electric)/green discussion thread

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2018 8:49 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 31, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
Hi, folks! I'm newb here so don't expect me to be perfect here :) But as an e-bike rider with almost 3 years of year round experience under my belt I can tell you right away that while this is nice cool looking and properly fairly bike is not going to be as practical to go to the same Walmart or any other store for a big shopping. There's no nice wide flat floor and no nice big trunk behind you and probably no much room under the seat either, so as a workhorse for doing your weekly shopping around it's not good at all, just for commuting. As an e-bike mechanic with two years experience in Toronto and GTA I can say from the picture alone that most likely this bike is employing smaller 12 or 14AH batteries which can't provide you with any decent range except your neighbourhood unless you are a skinny girl under a hundred pounds or a poor student :) The motor also does not look that big. Maybe just 350 watts relabeled for 500. Instead I would suggest to get some nice larger bike with at least 20AH easy removable battery, nice standard 1500W motor relabeled to 500W and nice powerful hydraulic brakes at least on the front wheel, big trunk behind to keep your accessories like the rain coat and the bike cover, lot's of room under the seat to keep your tools and pedals, with even more room on a flat and wide floor, where you can put eventually few more extra batteries and zip-zap across TO at least couple times a day :) That's what I believe the e-bike should be nowadays - just like mine old and trashy Mountaineer that happily runs for almost 3 years now making up to 80km in a day :razz:
Sep 14, 2008
75 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I would encourage anyone interested in electric bike conversions to check out the website endless-sphere.com. Very active and a great source of information.

I found a dealer in California (Iliia of ebikessf.com) who shipped me a complete kit that I installed on my bike myself. I use it to ride to work every day 18 kms each way (from Don Mills to downtown TO) through the Don Valley and Sunnybrook Park.

It is not cheap by any means. But it is a lot of fun, I get some exercise and it is more reliable than TTC and definitely a lot cheaper and less aggravating than driving.

The trick I think is to try to find some good bike paths to get you where you're going. If it was all along city streets, I would not ride my bike.
May 13, 2008
6 posts
Owen Sound - South o…
Anyone interested in an E-bike this spring check out GoLectric Ebikes in Owen Sound. They have VELOTEQ models which are by far the best (Battery, AH, Wattage, Hydraulics, many models & colours to choose from)....and for peace of mind an extended parts AND labour warranty is available above the usual warranty.... Give Bob Prowse a call 519-371-5362 with any questions you might have and to schedule a test ride :arrow: 519-371-5362 2350 8TH AVE WEST :arrowl:
:D ♥ my Veloteq Ebike ♥ :D
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
7889 posts
423 upvotes
Toronto
On sale this week for $888.

QUOTE=consumerPI;11156070]Get the Walmart one. Good value for the features and price. $998 plus taxes.[/QUOTE]
Dec 5, 2004
295 posts
22 upvotes
my friend just bought Wasaga model ebike from tevbikes. Pretty good price compare with other retailers. Was told it is their grand opening special.

check it out:
tevbikes.ca, on bloor near dufferin station.
Jul 26, 2010
734 posts
67 upvotes
Burlington
Any improvements? Better technology? Lower prices? :confused:
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1343 posts
151 upvotes
Bumping this thread since gas prices are so high now I figure there will be more interest this season for e-bikes. I live in Ottawa and was on the cusp of purchasing one of those electric scooter type bikes for around $1000 but the deal killer was that the city recently changed the law to forbid these type of bikes on NCC pathways :( I live in the suburbs and cannot put myself at risk by riding on the streets all the way downtown.

Am now looking at the modified electric-bikes from http://www.igoelectric.com anyone have any experience with this company? Seems to be the best bang for the buck for lithium-ion motors, much cheaper than the Bionx or other types.
Feb 26, 2008
207 posts
58 upvotes
snider wrote:
Mar 29th, 2012 10:07 am
Am now looking at the modified electric-bikes from http://www.igoelectric.com anyone have any experience with this company? Seems to be the best bang for the buck for lithium-ion motors, much cheaper than the Bionx or other types.

Check out this review for the same type of bike as the igo.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 28&t=32375
Apr 17, 2006
46 posts
24 upvotes
Hi All,

Sorry for bringing up this thread from the dead, but it's now May 2014 and I'm wondering where's a good place to buy an electric (pedal/pedal-assist) bike in the GTA? I've googled it up and seen a few shops online, but I'd like more feedback than just 3 reviews from google.

No, I'm not interested in building one from scratch, nor am I interested in buying a used one (I'd like to buy a bike with a new lithium battery that's under warranty.)

Please no flaming, as I have read through all 13 pages and yes I know that it's better for my health to go get a normal bike.

Thanks for your helpful replies!
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3296 posts
430 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
Bump. I figured this thread could use a bump given the record-breaking gas prices right now (over $1.40/litre, WTF) Anyone have anymore good suggestions for a decent, reasonably priced e-bike or e-bike kit? Also, +1 on the above post.
Apr 16, 2007
609 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Spring is coming and it’s time to resurrect this thread because e-bikes..specifically the pedal-assist kind (not the scooter kind) are starting to be sold in many regular bikes shops. Sadly the prices are astronomical so I’m hoping we can redflag some deals. I saw some at a local store for $3200+ this week.

Anything in the $1000-$1500 range? Just regular size frame pedal assist bike.
Jan 18, 2017
338 posts
103 upvotes
mark2000 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 2:47 pm
Spring is coming and it’s time to resurrect this thread because e-bikes..specifically the pedal-assist kind (not the scooter kind) are starting to be sold in many regular bikes shops. Sadly the prices are astronomical so I’m hoping we can redflag some deals. I saw some at a local store for $3200+ this week.

+1 am also interested.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3052 posts
395 upvotes
GTA
mark2000 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 2:47 pm

Starting point seems to be around 2k for an ebike, mid drive kits with batteries are around 1k so that's probably a better solution. The cheapest solution is using parts from rc planes, but there's a lot of parts you need to build yourself, i used a 3d printer to make all of my parts. Batteries can be sourced from "dead" laptop batteries packs, but testing, soldering and putting them together is pretty tedious.
The mid drive kit is probably the best solution.

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-mid-drive-kit/
https://lunacycle.com/48v-panasonic-ga-13-5ah-dolphin/
Jan 18, 2017
338 posts
103 upvotes
shabby wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 9:05 pm
Starting point seems to be around 2k for an ebike, mid drive kits with batteries are around 1k so that's probably a better solution. The cheapest solution is using parts from rc planes, but there's a lot of parts you need to build yourself, i used a 3d printer to make all of my parts. Batteries can be sourced from "dead" laptop batteries packs, but testing, soldering and putting them together is pretty tedious.
The mid drive kit is probably the best solution.

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-mid-drive-kit/
https://lunacycle.com/48v-panasonic-ga-13-5ah-dolphin/
Thanks for the input. I was looking at the BBSHD kit, but need to do some measurements to see it will fit my bike. Otherwise I was considering picking up something on Kijiji...

Would like to eventually get to tackling the 20km commute to work but for now I might just get back into riding evenings/weekends.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
1439 posts
65 upvotes
victoria, bc
KevCnew wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 2:27 pm
Thanks for the input. I was looking at the BBSHD kit, but need to do some measurements to see it will fit my bike. Otherwise I was considering picking up something on Kijiji...

Would like to eventually get to tackling the 20km commute to work but for now I might just get back into riding evenings/weekends.
how bad of an idea is it to put a mid drive or hub motor kit on a non-disc brake bike?