• Jun 18th, 2014 1:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2096 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
Are there any e-bike retailers in Mississauga? The ones I know of are mostly in Toronto.
Jun 18, 2007
126 posts
2 upvotes
hi, just wondering what everyone would suggest for a gel seat? should i get a replacement saddle or just a cover? and i have noticed that there are different styles of seats?
Sep 18, 2006
238 posts
8 upvotes
hibachi13 wrote:
May 4th, 2008 3:01 pm
hi, just wondering what everyone would suggest for a gel seat? should i get a replacement saddle or just a cover? and i have noticed that there are different styles of seats?
I got a gel cover which works better and cheaper to replace.
Jun 28, 2007
300 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
I was planing to get the I-Zip electric bike from Canadian Tire but after doing some long research with my friend google, I find out that for a little more you can get so much more :cheesygri

I am currently emailing this company http://www.ezridebikes.com about their products and should soon order their EZ005 model, a small folding bike just like the canadian tire I-ZIP folding bike but with

Li-Ion Baterry
brushless motor (noise free motor therefore near zero maintenance)
In-Wheel battery (you can use a full size cargo and less weight distribution improve making the ride more stable)
Full suspension
26 kg with battery
20" wheels
Disk brakes
40km range with top speed of 32 km/h

So it seems that it will do everything better, the price is a bit higher of course but a lot less than what other store charge for a full feature bike like this

I will post a review on here with video and photos if i get one :-)

More info on their website: http://www.ezridebikes.com/ (their website is not the greatest, but i care about the bike not the website, lol)

Here is a picture of the EZ005 (currently priced at about $1200 - no extra tax)
THey also have a full size bike, EZ008 (currently priced at about $1450 - no extra tax)

If anybody have seen or tried this bike, please post your opinion / review

Official Topic: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=601762
Jun 28, 2007
300 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
LuckyOne wrote:
May 2nd, 2008 12:37 am
Ya, the Bionx Montague Paratrooper is bad azzz. That's just an awesome looking bike. I want one, but $2375 !?! Thats crazy. It would take a lot of rides to work to realize some savings...
Agree, Bionx is really overpriced i think.

See my post above, an affordable alternative :)
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2812 posts
21 upvotes
I couldn't see myself riding a bike with 20" wheels ...

for $1200 you could build a nice conversion using a WE kit
Feb 3, 2008
37 posts
Paris
kilimats,
I ride an electric bike to and from work, and in my case it was just a conversion kit that I bought piece by piece. From my experience, the key to having a good ebike is in the sizing of the battery. All the other features (motor capacity, folding, tire size, ...) is secondary.
My ride to work is 30 km, and I had originally figured that I'd set my bike up with a 36V 8Ah battery pack (NiCd) which would give me roughly 2/3rds the assistance needed to ride the whole way. So my choice was to either bike slower (25km/h) the whole way with easy peddling, or crank the throttle open ride 32 to 36 km/h and expect to peddle the last 5 to 10 km.
Well that got old really fast because I spent so much on this bike, and couldn't really use it to it's full potential.
I've since bought a second 36V 8Ah pack, and love the bike.
Assume that with a 36 V 10 Ah LIon pack will take you a little more than 15 km at full speed with average hilly terrain (with easy peddling). Just something to keep in mind so you know what to expect.
Jun 28, 2007
300 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
smithinparis wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 8:02 am
kilimats,
I ride an electric bike to and from work, and in my case it was just a conversion kit that I bought piece by piece. From my experience, the key to having a good ebike is in the sizing of the battery. All the other features (motor capacity, folding, tire size, ...) is secondary.
My ride to work is 30 km, and I had originally figured that I'd set my bike up with a 36V 8Ah battery pack (NiCd) which would give me roughly 2/3rds the assistance needed to ride the whole way. So my choice was to either bike slower (25km/h) the whole way with easy peddling, or crank the throttle open ride 32 to 36 km/h and expect to peddle the last 5 to 10 km.
Well that got old really fast because I spent so much on this bike, and couldn't really use it to it's full potential.
I've since bought a second 36V 8Ah pack, and love the bike.
Assume that with a 36 V 10 Ah LIon pack will take you a little more than 15 km at full speed with average hilly terrain (with easy peddling). Just something to keep in mind so you know what to expect.
thanks for the warning, but this bike comes with a LI-ION battery, less wight and more powerfull, The bike description says that the battery will last 40km on electric only and 80km with pedaling (assist mode)

:)
Jun 28, 2007
300 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
almostfreeman wrote:
Jun 20th, 2008 6:59 am
I couldn't see myself riding a bike with 20" wheels ...

for $1200 you could build a nice conversion using a WE kit
did the research, couldn't approch this pricing with same features/quality

please tell me what better deal you have in mind for $1200

But I agree, 20 wheel is not for everyone, I want 20" because $200 cheaper than the 26" model, a bit lighter, better torque, fit easily in my car trunk, can be carried in my office at work next to me, so I don't have to worry :-)

on the downside.....will go a little slower than the 26" version and the ride style a bit different, but i think we just have to get use to it, a learning curve :)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
IMO 1200-1450 is overpriced for this. Take a look at JV bike. It is local to you: http://www.jvbike.com/bikes/VFR_BionX.htm They have lots of builds with BIONX and according to my communication with them, they can take any regularily stocked bike and put a Bionx kit on it.

According to my research, although BionX is expensive to boot, you really do get what you pay for. For one thing, their Li-ion kits are LIGHT. The lightest there is right now. PL-250 with a 36v Li-ion battery is only 14 pounds. Add a ~25 pound bike(not very expensive to hook that up) and you've got a set that's under 40 lbs total.
In this case we are looking at a 55lb folding bike. IMO that kind of weight defies the point of having a folding bike altogether. Its functionality as a folder is essentially limited to keeping it in a car trunk and storing it inside the house easily.
Furthermore, BionX 36v li-ion battery is rated for 45-100km range http://www.bionx.ca/en/main/default/31.shtml& and according to user reviews these are actually very conservative estimates. You can get 20-30% more distance with these. Even more if you reverse feed energy into the battery on downhills. In order to acheive similar results with cheaper kits, i.e. Crystallite or Wilderness Energy you'd need two batteries. Of course, batteries are the most expensive part so at this point a BionX kit will actually end up cheaper.
Lastly, I've read many reports that BionX batteries last over two years with minimal losses in capacity. Meanwhile, many owners of cheaper kits complain that their batteries start loosing capacity after 6 months and die in just over a year.
Bottom line is that if you cheap out you may end up paying twice. If you need a budget solution, best way to go IMO is a moped. http://westernmass.craigslist.org/bik/716177327.html

+almost forgot the warranty. Bionx stands by the stuff they sell. If you buy a cheap MIC kit you are pretty much on your own.
Jun 28, 2007
300 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
'Sash[DSL wrote:;6995896']IMO 1200-1450 is overpriced for this. Take a look at JV bike. It is local to you: http://www.jvbike.com/bikes/VFR_BionX.htm They have lots of builds with BIONX and according to my communication with them, they can take any regularily stocked bike and put a Bionx kit on it.

According to my research, although BionX is expensive to boot, you really do get what you pay for. For one thing, their Li-ion kits are LIGHT. The lightest there is right now. PL-250 with a 36v Li-ion battery is only 14 pounds. Add a ~25 pound bike(not very expensive to hook that up) and you've got a set that's under 40 lbs total.
In this case we are looking at a 55lb folding bike. IMO that kind of weight defies the point of having a folding bike altogether. Its functionality as a folder is essentially limited to keeping it in a car trunk and storing it inside the house easily.
Furthermore, BionX 36v li-ion battery is rated for 45-100km range http://www.bionx.ca/en/main/default/31.shtml& and according to user reviews these are actually very conservative estimates. You can get 20-30% more distance with these. Even more if you reverse feed energy into the battery on downhills. In order to acheive similar results with cheaper kits, i.e. Crystallite or Wilderness Energy you'd need two batteries. Of course, batteries are the most expensive part so at this point a BionX kit will actually end up cheaper.
Lastly, I've read many reports that BionX batteries last over two years with minimal losses in capacity. Meanwhile, many owners of cheaper kits complain that their batteries start loosing capacity after 6 months and die in just over a year.
Bottom line is that if you cheap out you may end up paying twice. If you need a budget solution, best way to go IMO is a moped. http://westernmass.craigslist.org/bik/716177327.html

+almost forgot the warranty. Bionx stands by the stuff they sell. If you buy a cheap MIC kit you are pretty much on your own.
Guess what, I've been to JVBike store twice last week in Downtown Vancouver, tried the BIONX PL350 and the Crystaline series 4. Here was my thoughts on both kit

BIONX PL350

Pros:
-It is very light Light
-Smart pedaling assistance
-battery quick release

Cons:
-The regenerating brake shakes the bike and makes a noticeable / annoying noise. I guess you can disable it but would reduce the battery range by at least 10%
-The BIONX throttle feels awkward, maybe not mounted properly
- The cheapest LI-ON model cost $1200 (thats already the cost of the Bike EZ005 I posted above)
- It is very rare to find a folding bike that can have the battery mounted on the frame and not the rear rack (JVBike had one but price at $1500 alone, so with battery it was above $2500)

Crystaline Series 4

Pros:
-Quicker than BIONX PL-350 (the bike was similar)
-Less noise (no regenerating brake)
-Smoother acceleration compared to BIONX PL-350
-Throttle feels a lot better
- Almost twice cheaper than PL-350

Cons:
- Twice cheaper and more powerful than PL-350 because Battery used for the bike I had was heavy like hell (I was some NiMh batteries in series)
- No Pedaling assistance
- Battery must be installed on the bike rack

OK, so that was my thought when I did a test ride at JVbike.

Now let me explain why I do not agree with your arguments

you said that 1200 and 1400 is overpriced for this bike and you recommend BIONX

Like I said above, cheapest BIONX kit on LI-ON is $1250 (PL-250), so thats already the price of the EZ005, after you can add the Bike price , install fee and tax. so getting the same feature as EZ005 (full suspension and disk brake) with BIONX PL-250 end up being over $2500, I haven't seen any normal folding bike with such features under a $1000

You said that BIONX is expensive but you get what you pay for:
I do agree that there system is well built, but the only thing that I like compared to the EZ005 is the Smart Pedaling assistance.
Don't be fooled by the range you get from the BIONX, the level 1 range puts very little power, PL-350 on level 1 felt really nothing while pedaling, thats how they get the 80km range. On the other hand, the EZ005 gives you 40KM range without pedaling. But I will make sure to confirm it for the review once I place my order

You said that BIONX is light combined with a 25lb bike
The dahon Speed D7 from JVbike is a 25lb bike , it is sold at $475, now add the the PL-250 + tax = you got yourself a $1900 bike with no suspension and disk brakes. not for me !!!

you said that BIONX bike can weight 40Lbs when combined with a good bike
Weight with an alectric bike is not as important as a normal bike because on flat or going down the hill the weight isn't noticeable, only going up hill and thats usually where the electric motor is used.
In fact when i ride the Crystaline bike at JVBike store with the heavy as hell batteries (it was like having 2 computer UPS in the rear rack, really !), I did not feels that pedaling on flat was harder, just going on moderate slop was somewhat harder
SO the difference between a 40LB and 55LB ebike is really really REALLY nothing ! (except maybe when putting in the folding bike in the trunk, but still, thats nothing)

you said that BIONX battery last over two years

that cannot be a valid estimate because it all depend on how many charge you do, a Li-On battery does above 600 charge usually. I frankly don't think that BIONX has a magic trick to exceed the normal Li-on battery range :o

So overall, I beleieve that the EZ005 comes way ahead of BIONX bikes

- you get a full option Li-on ebike for $1200
- Battery In-wheel, so more space on a bike and better weight distribution

And yes, you said that I might end up paying twice in the end if the bike quality isn't good
From the photos and the few user review found on google, I am confident that this bike is well built, Again, I'll make sure to put that in my review :-)

Feel free to continue arguing, I'm just looking for the best deal out there :)
Jun 28, 2007
300 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
mannyb wrote:
Jun 21st, 2008 12:03 pm
I got a folding e-Bike from here: http://www.electro-wheels.com/Electric-Bikes.html for $550.

The "Dalan" model is no longer on their website. The bike works well other then the lead acid battery weighing a ton.
lead acid batteries are outdated, think Li-Ion for ebike, thats the way to go for weight and longevity
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2096 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
kilimats wrote:
Jun 21st, 2008 2:30 pm
lead acid batteries are outdated, think Li-Ion for ebike, thats the way to go for weight and longevity
The additional cost of li-ion equipped e-bike was beyond my budget. There's a value cost ratio that is different for everyone and with one 2 year old and a 2nd baby coming in Aug I had to make a choice that was within my means.
Jun 28, 2007
300 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
mannyb wrote:
Jun 21st, 2008 4:36 pm
The additional cost of li-ion equipped e-bike was beyond my budget. There's a value cost ratio that is different for everyone and with one 2 year old and a 2nd baby coming in Aug I had to make a choice that was within my means.
yes, budget is the other argument of course :)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel