OFFICIAL Google Nexus 4/Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread/Accessories/ETC

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
^^^ I'm not concerned with warranty, so performance won't be affected by leaving the bootloader unlocked forever, right?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5147 posts
1069 upvotes
longitude wrote: ^^^ I'm not concerned with warranty, so performance won't be affected by leaving the bootloader unlocked forever, right?
unlocking/locking, rooting/unrooting, all can be easily undone so you dont have to worry about anything.

anyone on AOKP beta + faux kernel? What settings are you using to achieve optimal battery life?
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46969 posts
9263 upvotes
longitude wrote: ^^^ I'm not concerned with warranty, so performance won't be affected by leaving the bootloader unlocked forever, right?
akz wrote: unlocking/locking, rooting/unrooting, all can be easily undone so you dont have to worry about anything.

anyone on AOKP beta + faux kernel? What settings are you using to achieve optimal battery life?
Pretty much what he said. No performance is not affected by having an unlocked bootloader permanently.

akz, can't comment on AOKP beta + faux kernel. Currently running stock with Franco's Kernel R#23 though.

Speaking of kernels, it seems Franco has updated the kernel yet again to R27 this time. Update away people!
Originally Posted by franciscofranco
Ok r27 is out:

r27:
This should be the latest version before the first Milestone labeled release is out
* This release is based on test releases r24-test, r25-test and r26-test which include:
- Interactive governor fixes from Google
- Improvements to the Hotplug driver for bettery battery without sacrificing performance
- Make the thermal control a little more aggressive to prevent heat
- Qualcomm patches which include improvements to the msm_hsic_wakelock etc

Everyone should update to this one, has the change from CM's kernel to fix the instability on the connectivities.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5147 posts
1069 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Pretty much what he said. No performance is not affected by having an unlocked bootloader permanently.

akz, can't comment on AOKP beta + faux kernel. Currently running stock with Franco's Kernel R#23 though.

Speaking of kernels, it seems Franco has updated the kernel yet again to R27 this time. Update away people!
dang yeah alot of people using Franco but i follow AOKP as it has all the options I want and with Faux kernel + aokp i was able to get almost a day of battery life out of my galaxy nexus. I went with stock android for the first week on my nexus 4 and I hated it lol
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46969 posts
9263 upvotes
akz wrote: dang yeah alot of people using Franco but i follow AOKP as it has all the options I want and with Faux kernel + aokp i was able to get almost a day of battery life out of my galaxy nexus. I went with stock android for the first week on my nexus 4 and I hated it lol
This the new build #1 you're using that was announced few days ago? How's it so far? Especially NFC polling? Ya I'm using Paranoid Android on my Galaxy Nexus. Its AOSP based now vs CM based. Loving it so far. Final version 3 will be out sometime this month. Hopefully they get NFC polling too.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5147 posts
1069 upvotes
djemzine wrote: This the new build #1 you're using that was announced few days ago? How's it so far? Especially NFC polling? Ya I'm using Paranoid Android on my Galaxy Nexus. Its AOSP based now vs CM based. Loving it so far. Final version 3 will be out sometime this month. Hopefully they get NFC polling too.
havent tried NFC polling yet just got around to setting the phone back up yesterday and setup faux kernel with intellidemand so far so good. Im not on the build#1 im on the Dec31st build running super smooth. Will check out NFC polling and report back this weekend.

edit: looks like it dec 31 doesnt come with full features like fast charge and nfc polling, maybe the build 1 has it but it looks like build 1 is super buggy might just skip over that build for now.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2217 posts
438 upvotes
What is the deal with this damn official bumper?

I don't understand how this simple piece of plastic hasn't come back into stock yet while even the phone itself, with it's severe production issues, had at least 2 dates to place an order for each market. Worse thing is, this points to the wireless charging orb being a complete myth as well if Google can't get LG to produce a simple piece of plastic.

Google should just start manufacturing hardware themselves like Microsoft has starting with the Surface. They have more money than they know what to do with so just start erecting production facilities in 3rd world countries and go nuts. Google needs to take over the damn world already. ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
enhanced wrote: Google should just start manufacturing hardware themselves
They are soon will be. They now own Motorola. Expect the next generation of Nexus phones to be made by Moto.
They have more money than they know what to do with so just start erecting production facilities in 3rd world countries and go nuts.

"A fool and his money are soon parted." Just because they have the money doesn't mean they know how to put together a hardware division from scratch. They've already demonstrated with the N4 that despite all that money they don't know how to put together something much simpler like an online retail store.
Google needs to take over the damn world already. ;)
"Be careful what you wish for, lest it come true." ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46969 posts
9263 upvotes
I wouldn't mind Google taking over the entire world ;) .
Blanka
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11259 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: I wouldn't mind Google taking over the entire world ;) .
Yeah I monopoly of everything owned and operated would be great.....

Lol perhaps one of the most ridiculous cases of fanboyism ever

Back from a month vacation with the nexus as my primary device...didn't even have a laptop with me...I've been able to replace my i5 with it and quite happy overall... Sadly the camera is weak overall....my wife's i5 saved the day in most cases...

Besides work email and a better a camera the nexus line has me converted
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46969 posts
9263 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote: Yeah I monopoly of everything owned and operated would be great.....

Lol perhaps one of the most ridiculous cases of fanboyism ever

Back from a month vacation with the nexus as my primary device...didn't even have a laptop with me...I've been able to replace my i5 with it and quite happy overall... Sadly the camera is weak overall....my wife's i5 saved the day in most cases...

Besides work email and a better a camera the nexus line has me converted
Heh. I never use my N4 for taking pictures when I go on trips or whatever. Its either a P&S or my DSLR.
Blanka
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11259 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
I have a DSLR but traveling a lighter in gear these day with other things to carry...honestly the 4s/5 have done amazing jobs in past...nexus 4 camera not quite there...
Out of the 1000 shots in the i5 80% usable out of the 1000 shots in my nexus 60% usable.... They look great on the phone but Meh on the computer

Hoping sony makes a nexus soon...their cameras are solid
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46969 posts
9263 upvotes
shaolinmonk wrote: I have a DSLR but traveling a lighter in gear these day with other things to carry...honestly the 4s/5 have done amazing jobs in past...nexus 4 camera not quite there...
Out of the 1000 shots in the i5 80% usable out of the 1000 shots in my nexus 60% usable.... They look great on the phone but Meh on the computer

Hoping sony makes a nexus soon...their cameras are solid
I highly doubt Sony would make a Nexus soon. Seems like Google wants to make their own with the help of Motorola after acquiring their Mobility division. Who knows, Google might be the invisible hand in controlling all things Nexus and disallowing other manufacturers like Samsung from making future Nexi devices.

Its time that HTC gets to make one again before Google goes ahead. I am not a hater against Sony but looking at their previous devices, they seem to lack the hardware minus the camera of course. That's just my opinion and observation... Any how on back to topic with the Nexus 4 :razz:

Just a friendly reminder to those Franco kernel users - r27 is out. Last nightly build before full official build/version is out.
Blanka
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11259 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure if this has been mentioned before.

I just called regarding warranty
Google will RMA a device without a receipt cause the phone shows up as under the registered gmail...but if a warranty swap is required the device can only be shipped to the original purchasers gmail/wallet account

Anybody here if this before? So if you buy used or from someone else you RMA package would ship to them... Seems messed up
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4945 posts
81 upvotes
York Region
Does anyone know if Pacific mall sells cases for the Google Nexus 4? I dont want to head out there from sauga for nothing
Network Architect/Engineer - I.T. Professional
CCNP ENARSI
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46969 posts
9263 upvotes
Franco's Kernel R28 update is out. This is to fix data connectivity issues.
Blanka
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
n4 rooted and boot loader unlocked.

should I uncheck the USB debugging option?
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
46969 posts
9263 upvotes
longitude wrote: n4 rooted and boot loader unlocked.

should I uncheck the USB debugging option?
Nice. All working properly so far? Don't forget to install some key apps - AdAway, Titanium Back Up/Pro, Voodo OTA rootkeeper (so you can restore root after OTA updates).

Up to you. I keep it checked. Lazy to enable it again lol.
Blanka
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
dear djemzine,

Could you please summarize the main features of the ROMs and kernels that you list on the first pages of this topic?

There are so many options. Thank you.
11b guide
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
283 upvotes
Onterrible
Ok, so the battery life on my nexus 4 is pretty crappy. I go to school around 9am and when I get home around 5pm it is pretty much dead. And this is with wifi intermittently on.

Do the custom roms fix this issue or provide better battery life? The only reason I don't want to put a custom rom on is stability issues, but is there a rom that is pretty stable?
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)