Page 106 of 260

Re: OFFICIAL Google Nexus 4/Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread/Accessories/ETC

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 11:54 am
by mcg
It's an OS behaviour, if you don't drag it near the centre of the folder it'll assume you are trying to place the icon on the folder's spot, hence nudging it. Placing the icon directly over the folder will place it inside, lol

This is something smart that Google has done that Apple hasn't

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 12:41 pm
by SuspectOnTheRun
Bazinga11 wrote: I barely get 2 hours with light use lol and the battery meter is crazy goes down like 5% in 5 seconds sometimes while doing nothing. Still waiting for my replacement -_-
Same here. My battery is horrible. Also the edge of the touchscreen is usually unresponsive and my phone randomly shuts off while charging. Totally unacceptable.

I sent in the RMA order yesterday and I'm hoping it comes in soon.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 12:52 pm
by Bazinga11
djemzine wrote: Its weird my coworker was instructed to send his phone out first and then get a replacement after. Otherwise if 21 days passes, he'll be charged for the full cost of a brand new phone :S Never gave an option for him to keep his phone when waiting for new one.
They told me I can keep this phone until I receive the new one. And if I don't send this one out within 14 days(I think) after I receive the new one, then I would get charged.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 1:01 pm
by longitude
mcg wrote: It's an OS behaviour, if you don't drag it near the centre of the folder it'll assume you are trying to place the icon on the folder's spot, hence nudging it. Placing the icon directly over the folder will place it inside, lol
I noticed that, but I have to be quick, otherwise as soon as the icon I'm dragging reaches to border of the folder icon, they repel each other..........

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 1:02 pm
by longitude
This morning battery was charged, 100%.

I played almost 30 minutes of Angry Birds, with volume very low.

Battery went down to 71%.

Is that ok?

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 1:08 pm
by Bazinga11
Called and confirmed because I got kind of worried lol. You have 14 days from the day you receive the replacement to send out the broken one. No matter how long it takes them to get it to you.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 1:41 pm
by longitude
I'm trying to understand the above screen in the Android battery settings.

In my case it is showing apps that aren't running, they've been closed.

For example: Angry Birds @ 24%

It's there even if I shutdown the Nexus 4 and power it back up.

I'm confused......

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 1:45 pm
by longitude
Shoot, the Franco Kernel updater app flashed the r30 kernel, but I don't remember asking the app to do it....

*sigh*.

Anyway, I remember I made a backup copy of the stock kernel using the same Franco updater.

I assume I can easily reflash kernels with ease without losing any settings and/or apps, right?

How do I know if I really have the Franco kernel installed?

Under Settings -> About Phone -> Kernel Version there is the following:

3.4.0-perf-ge039dcb / android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com #1

I had the Franco updater download and flash kernel r31....

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 5:03 pm
by djemzine
wilsonlam97 wrote: Same here. My battery is horrible. Also the edge of the touchscreen is usually unresponsive and my phone randomly shuts off while charging. Totally unacceptable.

I sent in the RMA order yesterday and I'm hoping it comes in soon.
That sucks man. Especially you had to wait this long for the phone lol. I guess you are part of the unlucky ones as well...
Bazinga11 wrote: They told me I can keep this phone until I receive the new one. And if I don't send this one out within 14 days(I think) after I receive the new one, then I would get charged.
Hmmm I guess they changed the policy? When did you call in initially to request the RMA? Like I said my coworker was requested to mail out his phone first. He has x # of days to do so. If not he will be charged for the full price.
longitude wrote: Shoot, the Franco Kernel updater app flashed the r30 kernel, but I don't remember asking the app to do it....

*sigh*.

Anyway, I remember I made a backup copy of the stock kernel using the same Franco updater.

I assume I can easily reflash kernels with ease without losing any settings and/or apps, right?

How do I know if I really have the Franco kernel installed?

Under Settings -> About Phone -> Kernel Version there is the following:

3.4.0-perf-ge039dcb / android-build@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com #1

I had the Franco updater download and flash kernel r31....
If you made a backup of stock kernel aka the boot image using the app. You can restore it. Go to backup/restore and then select the one and hit restore. If not follow method 1.

3.40 perf is most likely you're stock kernel. If its Franco's it should say this. Please see image:

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A-ou ... -01-44.png[/IMG]

Hope that answers your question. As always a thanks is appreciated :razz:

Also for users on Franco - when the phone gets updated to 4.2.2, I asked Franco on XDA whether or not he will update his kernel for it. He replied. Here is the conversation (not PMing)
evaradar wrote: Just a quick question to Franco - when and if there's an update to 4.2.2 for the Nexus 4 or rather Nexus devices, will you update your kernel to support that? I ask, because in order to download the update, we need to revert back to the stock kernel which is not a problem, but one would wait for an update for your kernel in order for it to work on 4.2.2 correct?
franciscofranco wrote: 4.2.2 should be out somewhere in the next 3 weeks I believe. When its release I promptly update my kernels.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda premium

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 5:21 pm
by Sushi Roll
thiefa wrote: Honestly I didn't like the TPU as I had difficulty hitting the buttons (I'm a weak girl?)
So I used an xacto knife hence the ugly mark for the volume side lol

But the Nillkin has such an awesome feel to it <3

I use Nillkin at work, but when I'm outside chilling with friends I'll use the TPU case as I have my red wii strap in case people try to steal my phone on the TTC subway.
I've witnessed a woman get her phone stolen.... so I don't care if you laugh at me for having a wii strap :razz:
I laughed hard at the ghetto exacto knife mutilation of the TPU case... haha. Nearly spit my water out at the wii strap part too.

I'd suggest solving your need to use two different cases by just getting the Rearth Ringke slim case (version 2 - don't get the original version). Mine is already shipped so I can answer questions/post pics about it once it arrives hopefully early next week.

Basically though it's the original case from which all the other cases produced knockoffs, etc. The Nillkin one you have is a knock off of the Rearth case. From all the reviews I've read the Rearth is just all around better (less slippery, better grip, higher quality, easier to push and find buttons compared to knock offs). It also has two small holes and a small bar on the lower corner of the case where you can attach key rings, hooks... even the wii strap you use, etc.

Look at the bottom right hand corner of the picture below and you'll see the wii hook area I'm talking about. I'm getting the white version of this case, but they also have other colours.

[IMG]http://www.rearthusa.com/assets/images/ ... hum_01.JPG[/IMG]

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 5:26 pm
by djemzine
Sushi Roll wrote: I laughed hard at the ghetto exacto knife mutilation of the TPU case... haha. Nearly spit my water out at the wii strap part too.

I'd suggest solving your need to use two different cases by just getting the Rearth Ringke slim case (version 2 - don't get the original version). Mine is already shipped so I can answer questions/post pics about it once it arrives hopefully early next week.

Basically though it's the original case from which all the other cases produced knockoffs, etc. The Nillkin one you have is a knock off of the Rearth case. From all the reviews I've read the Rearth is just all around better (less slippery, better grip, higher quality, easier to push and find buttons compared to knock offs). It also has two small holes and a small bar on the lower corner of the case where you can attach key rings, hooks... even the wii strap you use, etc.

Look at the bottom right hand corner of the picture below and you'll see the wii hook area I'm talking about. I'm getting the white version of this case, but they also have other colours.

[IMG]http://www.rearthusa.com/assets/images/ ... hum_01.JPG[/IMG]
Looks nice. eBay/their own website/amazon?

Edit: NVM - http://www.rearthusa.com/google-nexus-4 ... -slim-case Is that version 1 or 2? Either way its OOS :( Good price too.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 5:33 pm
by Sushi Roll
djemzine wrote: Edit: NVM - http://www.rearthusa.com/google-nexus-4 ... -slim-case Is that version 1 or 2? Either way its OOS :( Good price too.
It's sold out on their main web site for some reason. I've been checking since about the start of the year. HOWEVER, I found out that the company sells it through ebay as well. Search for "rearth ringke nexus 4 case" and it's the first result on ebay.ca. The cost works out to exactly the same since the company charges $5 shipping from their own web site to Canada exactly like the ebay shipping cost to Canada. The "free shipping" code on their web site only works if you ship to USA.

I'll post pics and a review soon as mine comes in. I bought it through ebay and the seller name was "rearthusa". Also the company only ships version 2 of the case now, so you'll get the newer one.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 5:36 pm
by djemzine
Sushi Roll wrote: It's sold out on their main web site for some reason. I've been checking since about the start of the year. HOWEVER, I found out that the company sells it through ebay as well. Search for "rearth ringke nexus 4 case" and it's the first result on ebay.ca. The cost works out to exactly the same since the company charges $5 shipping from their own web site to Canada exactly like the ebay shipping cost to Canada. The "free shipping" code on their web site only works if you ship to USA.

I'll post pics and a review soon as mine comes in. I bought it through ebay and the seller name was "rearthusa". Also the company only ships version 2 of the case now, so you'll get the newer one.
Hmm.. What's the difference between version 1 and 2?

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 5:41 pm
by Sushi Roll
djemzine wrote: Hmm.. What's the difference between version 1 and 2?
Version 1 was rushed so they could get out the case before anybody else so it was loose around the volume buttons. Version 2 fixed the problem by redesigning that area and making that corner stronger. It now (supposedly) fits like a glove all around and is one of the tightest fitting cases for the nexus 4. This is usually a good thing (tighter fit means less chance dust and dirt will get into the case) but could be bad if you want to swap between different cases easily.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 5:43 pm
by djemzine
Sushi Roll wrote: Version 1 was rushed so they could get out the case before anybody else so it was loose around the volume buttons. Version 2 fixed the problem by redesigning that area and making that corner stronger. It now (supposedly) fits like a glove all around and is one of the tightest fitting cases for the nexus 4. This is usually a good thing (tighter fit means less chance dust and dirt will get into the case) but could be bad if you want to swap between different cases easily.
I see. Does it come with a screen protector like the Nillikin?

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 5:46 pm
by Sushi Roll
djemzine wrote: I see. Does it come with a screen protector like the Nillikin?
I don't think it does, but I can't be sure until I see mine next week. I don't remember reading anything about a free screen protector with the case when I bought it, so most likely it's just the case in an eco friendly box.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 6:28 pm
by Bazinga11
[QUOTE]Hmmm I guess they changed the policy? When did you call in initially to request the RMA? Like I said my coworker was requested to mail out his phone first. He has x # of days to do so. If not he will be charged for the full price. [/QUOTE]

I called in around 2 weeks ago and I called in again today to make sure. You have 14 days to return the defective on from the day you receive the replacement.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 6:35 pm
by djemzine
Bazinga11 wrote: I called in around 2 weeks ago and I called in again today to make sure. You have 14 days to return the defective on from the day you receive the replacement.
Hmm. Maybe they changed it just for him. I told him to call again and they said that he still has to send out his one before he gets a new one. Weird I know :S Oh well.

Maybe new policy for new users? *Knock on wood* I have no issues.

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 6:52 pm
by Canuckerr
That case looks pretty nice. Though, I just want the official bumper =(

Posted: Jan 12th, 2013 7:50 pm
by Sushi Roll
Canuckerr wrote: That case looks pretty nice. Though, I just want the official bumper =(
I decided against the official bumper after reading reviews that it made the phone really thick. The complaints were that the already wide phone was made just too wide with the added girth from the bumper. On top of that it's going for like $60 - 100 on ebay which is ridiculously over priced, lol.