Page 118 of 260

Re: OFFICIAL Google Nexus 4/Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread/Accessories/ETC

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 11:42 am
by Sushi Roll
av3n wrote: Hey Sushi Roll where did you buy the Rearth from? Been considering this case but the one on Amazon doesn't ship here and eBay's shipping fee is $9 :facepalm:
I bought it from ebay from the user rearthusa. It was $9.99 plus $4.99 shipping. Seems most who ordered got it in about two weeks but mine took almosy three weeks to ship.

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 12:28 pm
by longitude
ok, so I downloaded the latest nightly CyanoGen files.
It's under the Goomanager folder.

From Cyano's thread:
1. Make sure you're on the latest CWM
2. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. CHECK.
3. Wipe data/factory reset
4. Flash ROM
5. Flash GAPPS
6. Reboot, let it sit for a few minutes to settle in
7. Reboot, and have fun.
If I wipe data/factory under the TWRP recovery program, how will I flash the ROM?????
the cyano image file will be gone!

Also, what options under TWRP should I choose to wipe?

I see Factory Reset and Format Data. Is it those two options only before flashing Cyano?

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 12:50 pm
by litebrite
av3n wrote: Hey Sushi Roll where did you buy the Rearth from? Been considering this case but the one on Amazon doesn't ship here and eBay's shipping fee is $9 :facepalm:
I purchased directly from Rearth by calling their customer service and they were able to send me a paypal invoice. Was only charged $5 for shipping as well.

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 1:01 pm
by Amourek
longitude wrote: If I wipe data/factory under the TWRP recovery program, how will I flash the ROM?????
Mount USB/SD storage and copy the ROM over after the wipe. TWRP should have that option (I use CWM).

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 1:24 pm
by longitude
Amourek wrote: Mount USB/SD storage and copy the ROM over after the wipe. TWRP should have that option (I use CWM).
would the USB storage be the PC itself through the USB cable?

Also, I am assuming that all by Nandroid backups will be gone, right?

Should I save those too to the PC?

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 1:33 pm
by longitude
Another question regarding custom ROMs, they mention GAPPS.

Google Apps?
What exactly is that?
Is it that folder with many Google apps such as gmail, google+, maps, play store, youtube, etc?

I thought that would be a standard feature in any google android ROM................. :|

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 1:53 pm
by Sushi Roll
longitude wrote: Another question regarding custom ROMs, they mention GAPPS.

Google Apps?
What exactly is that?
Is it that folder with many Google apps such as gmail, google+, maps, play store, youtube, etc?

I thought that would be a standard feature in any google android ROM................. :|
Custom roms aren't allowed by Google to include the Google apps. So you need to side load the gapps package to get stuff like the play store and gmail "legitimately."

Of course some roms don't care to be fully legit and just include gapps by default.

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 1:58 pm
by djemzine
longitude wrote: The GTA Vice City app is listed under Titatium, but when I run a backup it appears not to backup its data.

Let me add that this game wasn't installed through the Play Store app, I obtained the APK file and installed it manually. The game works fine.

The game is listed under Android Settings -> Apps, and has 1.39Gb....

Note: the titatium interface isn't really intuitive....
Maybe that's why? Because its sideloaded since you pirated it lol. Jokes aside, ya I am not sure about it backing up sideloaded apps. There might be a way. I would have to go home and tinker with it more.

TB's UI is straightforward IMHO, but ya, you get used to it... Explore/play around with it more and you should be fine. Or just go online for tutorials. Its that easy...
longitude wrote: ok, so I downloaded the latest nightly CyanoGen files.
It's under the Goomanager folder.

From Cyano's thread:

If I wipe data/factory under the TWRP recovery program, how will I flash the ROM?????

Also, what options under TWRP should I choose to wipe?

I see Factory Reset and Format Data. Is it those two options only before flashing Cyano?
I EXPLAINED THIS TO YOU YESTERDAY ALREADY!!! JEEZ A LOO LOL :razz: Sorry am really stressed out at work but seriously, I did explain this to you yesterday...

See quoted post highlighted in bold:
djemzine wrote: I will help you to my best whilst preparing stuff for month end - gotta love being a CA student...

Okay here I go:

1) Good

2) Good

3) In TWRP, go to Wipe, then select wipe Cache, wipe Dalvik Cache, and Factory Reset (this is important when you are going from stock to Custom ROM and back from custom ROM to stock). Also perform a format data just to make sure

4) It could, but better if you flash it via the recovery. The zip file. So click on Install and then click on the CM zip file. Don't forget to install GAPPS after installing the ZIP using TWRP

5) Nandroid backup restoration - only restores your phone to the previous state. So for example, if you backed up all your apps, data and stock OS and restore the Nandroid, it restores back to stock OS. So the only way to actually restore your user apps + data (excluding contacts, pics, media) is to restore a backup done from Titanium Backup Pro. I hope you did that... If not... good luck starting from scratch :)

Example - I am on beta 12 version 2.99 Paranoid Android custom ROM and they had a new update. So I did a Nandroid backup just to make sure. However I did a factory reset prior to installing the updated zip for the custom ROM and I was like "crap". So I restored the Nandroid backup and it took me to the previous build of the ROM and restored my apps and such.

Kernels are usually there to save battery and other tweaks. Not increase game performance UNLESS you overclock your CPU/GPU to which it might... again caution when overclocking.
That being said, you can ONLY install ZIP files using custom recoveries such as TWRP. You can follow what Amourek suggested...

Answers to these questions can be found online on XDA btw. Not everyone does the same method, or uses the same recovery or same custom ROM. It variates amongst each other. I think Wug's Toolkit might install custom ROMs so if you are struggling, you can resort to Wugs or another toolkit that does so to simplify the process. Just saying... Please don't take any offense...

longitude wrote: would the USB storage be the PC itself through the USB cable?

Also, I am assuming that all by Nandroid backups will be gone, right?

Should I save those too to the PC?
Yes, always save Nandroid backups to your computer always in case anything mucks up. That's a pure given...
longitude wrote: Another question regarding custom ROMs, they mention GAPPS.

Google Apps?
What exactly is that?

Yes Google Apps. They can be found on Goo.im website. Look it up there and get the latest one (based on day/month/year configuration I think)

Its not only that but other google services as well that's core/key for the overall operating system of Android. When always installing custom ROMs you must install GAPPS

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 1:58 pm
by djemzine
Sushi Roll wrote: Custom roms aren't allowed by Google to include the Google apps. So you need to side load the gapps package to get stuff like the play store and gmail "legitimately."

Of course some roms don't care to be fully legit and just include gapps by default.
Thanks for clarifying this and for other users who don't know...

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 2:08 pm
by Duuuuude
A great simplified alternative to Titanium Backup, from the creator of Clockworkmod. And you don't have to be rooted to use it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... YWNrdXAiXQ..
[IMG]https://lh5.ggpht.com/CaFhi0CC_TrfGriZS ... vboWr=w124[/IMG]

Premium version available as well.

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 2:27 pm
by longitude
djemzine wrote:
3) In TWRP, go to Wipe, then select wipe Cache, wipe Dalvik Cache, and Factory Reset (this is important when you are going from stock to Custom ROM and back from custom ROM to stock). Also perform a format data just to make sure
Sorry, got it now, it's too many details in this Android world and Linux isn't as straight forward as Windows... :D

I still have questions.

If I do Wipe Cache, Wipe Dalvik Cache and Factory Reset only, then I won't lose the Cyano zip file, right?

Now if I do a Format Data, then I will be wiping the entire Nexus disk.
In that case I have to use the TWRP mount option to grabn the Cyano zip file from my PC, right?

The problem is that the TWRP mount option isn't clear.
I see the following options:

[ ] Mount System
[x] Unmount Data
[x] Unmount Cache
[ ] Mount SD Card

[ ] Use External SD [x] Use internal storage

I can't select Use External SD so I can grab the Cyano zip file?

Note: the nightly cyano file I download is only 160kb, is that right? :|

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 2:48 pm
by djemzine
Duuuuude wrote: A great simplified alternative to Titanium Backup, from the creator of Clockworkmod. And you don't have to be rooted to use it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... YWNrdXAiXQ..
[IMG]https://lh5.ggpht.com/CaFhi0CC_TrfGriZS ... vboWr=w124[/IMG]

Premium version available as well.
Ya I saw that. Carbon. Its in Beta stages no?

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 4:21 pm
by Duuuuude
Today is the first, official day out-of-beta. :) I have the paid version of Titanium but prefer the simplicity of Carbon.

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 4:36 pm
by Canuckerr
KJT022 wrote: alright thanks a lot! I'll try it out! :)

UPDATE: Yeah so I had the blue poetic bumper on for like one day and it already fell apart... I guess they didn't really correct this issue
They are a bunch of lying @%^@^@^%@#%!!! They definitely didn't fix the issue.
I had my yellow poetic bumper for three days and the top right corner is coming apart....

I just emailed them. This is so annoying. It's such a nice case too, that's the worst part.
Even with the replacement, i'm sure the replacement will still fall apart. I asked for a refund instead.

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 5:13 pm
by Sushi Roll
Canuckerr wrote: They are a bunch of lying @%^@^@^%@#%!!! They definitely didn't fix the issue.
I had my yellow poetic bumper for three days and the top right corner is coming apart....
They are going to lose a hella lot of money shipping warranty replacements to people for three years. Sucks because the bumper does really look nice in reviews.

The official nexus bumper was in stock yesterday. It's sold out again in Canada today. I picked one up as impulse buy with my second Nexus. Gonna flip mine when it arrives but I hear it's still in stock from USA play store if you wanted to avoid headaches with poetic bumper.

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 5:49 pm
by icemasta
Has anyone had this minor issue happen to them?

Press Power Button but screen remains black yet touchscreen still works. If you press the Power Button again screen turns back on no problem.

It happens very very rarely (3 times within a month a half) so not a big issue but I'm curious on if it happened to others.

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 5:49 pm
by djemzine
Duuuuude wrote: Today is the first, official day out-of-beta. :) I have the paid version of Titanium but prefer the simplicity of Carbon.
Oooh nice!

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 5:52 pm
by Canuckerr
Sushi Roll wrote: They are going to lose a hella lot of money shipping warranty replacements to people for three years. Sucks because the bumper does really look nice in reviews.

The official nexus bumper was in stock yesterday. It's sold out again in Canada today. I picked one up as impulse buy with my second Nexus. Gonna flip mine when it arrives but I hear it's still in stock from USA play store if you wanted to avoid headaches with poetic bumper.
When I checked yesterday the bumper was sold out =/ I guess I checked at the wrong time.

There is a member on XDA who is selling replica's for $25 shipped and it looks exactly the same. So I might just order from him?
I'm not sure yet. I was kind of hoping for Google to restock it.. But, I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 6:50 pm
by Scribblez
Canuckerr wrote: When I checked yesterday the bumper was sold out =/ I guess I checked at the wrong time.
I was able to buy a bumper yesterday from Google and when I checked again 45 mins after I purchased mine, they were listed as sold out again. Now I just have to wait for it and I hope it gets here soon.

Last week I ordered the Rearth Ringke slim case (white) from Amazon as I didn't actually expect the Google bumper to go back in stock anytime soon. It arrived today and I really like it. Nice slim profile and it looks really good. It's still really slippery on the back though and doesn't provide the greatest protection but it will do for now:

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2wh0d5d.jpg[/IMG]

Posted: Jan 30th, 2013 6:54 pm
by Sushi Roll
thiefa wrote: Any of you folks mind posting pics of the case?? :)
Finally had some time free and took some pics of my Nexus 4 with the Matte Navy Blue Rearth Ringke Slim Case. This thing makes my phone hella sexy, no lie. Took the pics with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2... lol... so this is also a test of picture quality from that phone (I still love my Nexus 4 more). More pics coming in another post. I'll get the white case out of the box sometime when I'm not so lazy too...

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/2irvzox.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2qbi0hx.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2h4xiqp.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/23s6gli.jpg[/IMG]