Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 4/Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread/Accessories/ETC

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
Just got my Nexus 4 activated on Rogers. Is there any reason not to do the OTA 4.2.2 update? I know about LTE being disabled in 4.2.2 - anything else that I need to be aware of?

thanks
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
blexann wrote: Just got my Nexus 4 activated on Rogers. Is there any reason not to do the OTA 4.2.2 update? I know about LTE being disabled in 4.2.2 - anything else that I need to be aware of?

thanks
No other reason not to. It a) improves battery life significantly, b) improves/fixes the bluetooth issue and c) other minor changes.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1019 posts
401 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
Did you check out this thread? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2145848

Sounds like you are:

Scenario #3
You are stock, with custom kernel, any modifications or removed system apk(s)
Continue to Section C

Section C: Let’s get back to stock

OR

Option #3) Forgo the OTA entirely and flash the JDQ39 Factory Image in fastboot. https://developers.google.com/android/n ... ages#occam
If you need help with this follow efrant's guide

KJT022 wrote: ah damn :| I'll try again if not that means I'll have no choice...

I did... :/ ... does this mean I'd have to factory reset like what djemzine said?
You will need to flash factory image. Refer to the XDA thread it has all your answers
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
martinwales28 wrote: Did you check out this thread? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2145848

Sounds like you are:

Scenario #3
Continue to Section C

Section C: Let’s get back to stock

OR

Option #3) Forgo the OTA entirely and flash the JDQ39 Factory Image in fastboot. https://developers.google.com/android/n ... ages#occam
If you need help with this follow efrant's guide
He has busy box installed and no custom kernel. See his previous posts...
wilsonlam97 wrote: I have a feeling you installed busy box because some root app asked you to do it.
KJT022 wrote:

I did... :/ ... does this mean I'd have to factory reset like what djemzine said?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1019 posts
401 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
djemzine wrote: He has busy box installed and no custom kernel. See his previous posts...
I know but of the scenarios in the thread this matched his situation best because of the modifications.

Scenario #1
You are completely stock. Unlocked/locked bootloader. No root
Continue to Section A

Scenario #2
You are stock, with root. Custom Recovery without any modifications or deletions.
Continue to Section B

Scenario #3
Continue to Section C

Scenario #4
You are running a Custom ROM
Continue to Section C
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2012
1275 posts
595 upvotes
Cambridge
Can anyone explain how would warranty work if bought from Kijiji? Google search suggests it can only be done thru the linked google mail account.
What are my options if bought from Kijiji?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
jansh84 wrote: Can anyone explain how would warranty work if bought from Kijiji? Google search suggests it can only be done thru the linked google mail account.
Well you got it correct there. Google requires it be linked to your Gmail account/Google Wallet account. Reason being for proof of purchase that it was purchased from them. Sorry, it depends. So if bought from the Play Store, yes you need to have proof of purchase aka your Gmail/Google Wallet account linked to the purchase.

If the phone was bought from a carrier/retailer - Fido, Virgin, The Source, Wind then a receipt should suffice.

I would check with the seller from Kijiji to double check. PS might be beneficial to buy one off a RFD user with BST Feedback. That way you know its legit and will be a smooth transaction! All the best!
Blanka
Mar 6, 2011
199 posts
29 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Video is being uploaded for this. I enabled my data connection on my Galaxy Nexus. Then connected my Nexus 4 to my GN via BT and vice versa.

Then I went into the settings via the BT connected devices and viola. The video will explain the rest.

Edit: Can't you take out your sim card from your Nokia phone or whichever device has the sim card + data plan and just move it to your Nexus 4? Also, BT tether setup on the Nokia phone and N4 might be different since its not the same eco system as per my video...

Yes
Thank you, in the past to tether other device to my nokia phone. I have to do nothing but provide a password for the other device.
then enter that password on the device that's trying to connect and voila.

I like the nokia phone so much lol, everything beside the browser is much easier to use. And the battery last me 3 days with 24/7 3G connection.
Bought the n4 thinking i might switch over to it, now it just ends up being another portable browser =(
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1019 posts
401 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
jansh84 wrote: Can anyone explain how would warranty work if bought from Kijiji? Google search suggests it can only be done thru the linked google mail account.
djemzine wrote: Well you got it correct there. Google requires it be linked to your Gmail account/Google Wallet account. Reason being for proof of purchase that it was purchased from them. Sorry, it depends. So if bought from the Play Store, yes you need to have proof of purchase aka your Gmail/Google Wallet account linked to the purchase.

If the phone was bought from a carrier/retailer - Fido, Virgin, The Source, Wind then a receipt should suffice.

I would check with the seller from Kijiji to double check. PS might be beneficial to buy one off a RFD user with BST Feedback. That way you know its legit and will be a smooth transaction! All the best!
Just want to add that the seller can call google and get the warranty be transferred to you. I bought mine from kijiji and had to do that.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
martinwales28 wrote: Just want to add that the seller can call google and get the warranty be transferred to you. I bought mine from kijiji and had to do that.
No other paper work for that? Will Google send the new owner a proof that the warranty has been transferred or?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1019 posts
401 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
djemzine wrote: No other paper work for that? Will Google send the new owner a proof that the warranty has been transferred or?
Seller called and he told me "filed a case to have it transferred to your name. The agent couldn't do it at the time, so she told me that she will escalate it to a higher support to assist the ownership transfer"
Took about half a day and then I had to call to verify information and that it was indeed transferred and then initiated an RMA.
Google support is great every agent i've dealt with takes ownership of the problem and makes sure it gets resolved.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
martinwales28 wrote: Seller called and he told me "filed a case to have it transferred to your name. The agent couldn't do it at the time, so she told me that she will escalate it to a higher support to assist the ownership transfer"
Took about half a day and then I had to call to verify information and that it was indeed transferred and then initiated an RMA.
Google support is great every agent i've dealt with takes ownership of the problem and makes sure it gets resolved.
Thanks for the heads up. Will pass this along to a friend of mine.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Going to have to bow out sadly. After a week i found that i just cannot like AOSP and they still did the same ***** thing to the camera as in galaxy nexus.

Thinking about Z10 now...
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Apr 3, 2006
808 posts
468 upvotes
An update just came out for Google Chrome and I recommend people avoid it. I hit the update button on the play store and regret it. Last version was rock solid stable, very smooth, and with just a tiny bit of lag. New version is unstable (already froze once for me), stutters like crazy during scrolling, has "fuzzy" looking text when a web site has small fonts, and is buggy at rendering web sites that used to be fine before (mobile version of The Verge only renders a quarter of the more button). This should have stayed in beta. Not ready yet for prime time :(
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Sushi Roll wrote: An update just came out for Google Chrome and I recommend people avoid it. I hit the update button on the play store and regret it. Last version was rock solid stable, very smooth, and with just a tiny bit of lag. New version is unstable (already froze once for me), stutters like crazy during scrolling, has "fuzzy" looking text when a web site has small fonts, and is buggy at rendering web sites that used to be fine before (mobile version of The Verge only renders a quarter of the more button). This should have stayed in beta. Not ready yet for prime time :(
I thought this updated version takes it from beta and makes it better? Or at least what I read online. Shall keep note of this. Thanks
Blanka
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
Sushi Roll wrote: An update just came out for Google Chrome and I recommend people avoid it. I hit the update button on the play store and regret it. Last version was rock solid stable, very smooth, and with just a tiny bit of lag. New version is unstable (already froze once for me), stutters like crazy during scrolling, has "fuzzy" looking text when a web site has small fonts, and is buggy at rendering web sites that used to be fine before (mobile version of The Verge only renders a quarter of the more button). This should have stayed in beta. Not ready yet for prime time :(
+1 for me. It's been stable and blazing fast but the font seems fuzzy, everything else in the update is great for me though. Hope they fix the fuzzy looking issue.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
3333 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
before I root, I just wanted to be sure of a few things:

(btw, I'm on 4.2.2 stock)

1) I basically just want to install one app that requires root, so is wug's toolkit the go to method?
2) After wug does it's job, will my phone be exactly the way it was before (data and apps, sms, accounts, everything left intact with the only difference is that now the phone is rooted)? And wug creates backups of the apps/data right, in case anything goes wrong?
3) If I have to revert back to stock unrooted pureness, will I be able to install backups (sms, apps, data) that were made while the phone was rooted?

Answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Apr 3, 2006
808 posts
468 upvotes
gilboman wrote: +1 for me. It's been stable and blazing fast but the font seems fuzzy, everything else in the update is great for me though. Hope they fix the fuzzy looking issue.
Your reply prompted me to do research on this since mine was nowhere near blazing fast. Turns out the update somehow got messed up with my previous version of Google Chrome due to it's stored cache files. To fix it, I went to settings / privacy and clicked on the "clear browser data" button near the bottom. I then checkmarked all the fields in the next screen and it wiped my Google Chrome cache.

Now it is smoking, BLAZING, super fast. Wow the scrolling is so fast now it's crazy. No more lag or stutter at all. It's up to iPhone 5 scroll speed, really. Very nice.

But rest of browser is still a bit buggy. The Verge is still being rendered incorrectly on the mobile site even after clearing cache.

If anybody updates Google Chrome and has same sluggish performance problems that I did try the fix I described.
Oct 19, 2012
942 posts
96 upvotes
Brampton
Does anyone else have problems with applying screen protectors? This is the second brand of screen protector im using and the right and left sides don't stick properly -_-

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)