OFFICIAL Google Nexus 4/Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread/Accessories/ETC

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1592 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver
djemzine wrote: Ah. In that case I am not sure if that app will work, but who knows... Hmm...

Edit: Did you enable OBEX file transfer when configuring your notebook/PC to connect to your Nexus 4 via BT?
Looks like the app isn't what I was looking for exactly.

Yes, I did enable OBEX file transfer. I've been able to send files from PC->Phone and vice versa, Phone->PC via BT.
From PC->Phone, it was a selecting a file and then right clicking it to send to the Nexus 4.
From Phone->PC, same deal. I selected a file and then sent it to PC/notebook.

This is not the most efficient way to browse/view/manage files, but it works for now.

I'd like to take it a step further. Is it possible to view/browse the Nexus 4 via BT as if it were connected via USB? That's what I'm wondering...
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1611 posts
116 upvotes
sfrancis wrote: Thanks. found the apk following your suggestion and installed it. Did not have chance to try it yet as it asked for registration. setDNS seems give me error today "incorrect nameserver IP". Haven't seen that last time. Will try it tonight again.
I think something wrong with setdns. Followed the instruction manually and it works fine now

http://tunlr.net/get-started/get-started-with-android/
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
6762 posts
2096 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Your best bet would be to use a custom launcher. No rooting required for that.
icemasta wrote: Yup, WidgetLocker might be an option.
Canada_7 wrote: So I bought Widget Locker...it's nice and gives me that option, but can I not still keep the pattern lock from my original lock screen? Like the only unlock type I have now are variations of the slide kind, and then because I haven't taken off my stock pattern lock it's still there, but does Widget Locker not have pattern lock available by itself?
Bump. Anyone?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
Canada_7 wrote: Bump. Anyone?
Sorry I don't actually use WidgetLocker so I have no idea. Hopefully someone can answer your question.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
283 upvotes
Onterrible
I think a limitation with using a pattern lock is not being able to use a custom lock screen.

I've tried a few lock screens and none of them support the pattern lock.

some of my apps that generally can be added to lock screens like player pro, do not work either.

I think it's just a limitation if using a pattern. I'm not prepared to stop using my pattern to unlock, so I guess I lose out on the custom lock screen.

though, I'm sure there are custom roms that would allow it, but it's not worth the trouble to install one and test
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
1008 posts
403 upvotes
I know it seems pretty obvious, but have you tried contacting the developer? Since you did purchase the app, would the developer be more inclined to help?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1592 posts
393 upvotes
Vancouver
So it looks like I cannot browse my phone contents on a PC via bluetooth connection.

On to the next question that needs answering :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
6762 posts
2096 upvotes
rcheung13 wrote: I know it seems pretty obvious, but have you tried contacting the developer? Since you did purchase the app, would the developer be more inclined to help?
Canuckerr wrote: I think a limitation with using a pattern lock is not being able to use a custom lock screen.

I've tried a few lock screens and none of them support the pattern lock.

some of my apps that generally can be added to lock screens like player pro, do not work either.

I think it's just a limitation if using a pattern. I'm not prepared to stop using my pattern to unlock, so I guess I lose out on the custom lock screen.

though, I'm sure there are custom roms that would allow it, but it's not worth the trouble to install one and test
So yeah, I emailed the developer asking if it was possible, and this is the only answer I got:

"Sorry, WidgetLocker is not a security tool.

-Kevin"

Disappointing I guess, but more so with tone it seemed to come with the reply (or maybe I'm just taking the reply the wrong way; regardless, oh well).
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
283 upvotes
Onterrible
nah, that's a ***** reply from the developer.
what does that even mean? it's not a security tool?

but, yeah. oh well.not the end of the world.
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
Dec 25, 2008
119 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver
bigsky2 wrote: So it looks like I cannot browse my phone contents on a PC via bluetooth connection.
You probably have already heard of this but have you tried using AirDroid? I'm not sure if it works via Bluetooth, but it does over wifi. You can transfer files and substantially more. Maybe you could put in a feature request for them to look into bluetooth.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
403 upvotes
GT&A
I just noticed my gmail isn't downloading emails automatically anymore.

I didn't change any settings, but I've been applying these dam nightly cyanogen mod updates.....

I also download the latest gapps for cyanogen.

What went wrong?

I checked the cyanogen thread but no one reported this.......

:facepalm: :mad:
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11294 posts
1273 upvotes
Toronto
Canada_7 wrote: So yeah, I emailed the developer asking if it was possible, and this is the only answer I got:

"Sorry, WidgetLocker is not a security tool.

-Kevin"

Disappointing I guess, but more so with tone it seemed to come with the reply (or maybe I'm just taking the reply the wrong way; regardless, oh well).
lol it's a nice way to say STFU you noob.. now give me moar monies!\

seriously though... the whole point of the password lock is to prevent access to info so i'm not surprised you got that answer
[removed for signature violation]
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
longitude wrote: I just noticed my gmail isn't downloading emails automatically anymore.

I didn't change any settings, but I've been applying these dam nightly cyanogen mod updates.....

I also download the latest gapps for cyanogen.

What went wrong?

I checked the cyanogen thread but no one reported this.......

:facepalm: :mad:
Another reason why I don't use nightlies for custom ROMS particularly CyanogenMod :D . Stick with PA and you're good to go lol.
Blanka
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5934 upvotes
So I got my Google Nexus 4 Wireless Orb imported through a friend in the US. Just want to caution people away from this expensive but useless accessory, they went with this strange rubber material that is supposed to grip the phone but it just slides off gradually and ends up not charging. I figure this is due to the glass back but I'm not paying for a specific case just so the thing gets held properly. I dug around on the internet and found several threads at XDA with people saying the same thing. Some users reported it works fine but then responded later in a few weeks that theirs now don't grip properly either.

So yeah I strongly recommend people get something else, an Energizer Qi Charger, LG powermat or etc. Google support won't honor the RMA since I had it cross border shipped which is understandable but still sucks.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Redmask wrote: So I got my Google Nexus 4 Wireless Orb imported through a friend in the US. Just want to caution people away from this expensive but useless accessory, they went with this strange rubber material that is supposed to grip the phone but it just slides off gradually and ends up not charging. I figure this is due to the glass back but I'm not paying for a specific case just so the thing gets held properly. I dug around on the internet and found several threads at XDA with people saying the same thing. Some users reported it works fine but then responded later in a few weeks that theirs now don't grip properly either.

So yeah I strongly recommend people get something else, an Energizer Qi Charger, LG powermat or etc. Google support won't honor the RMA since I had it cross border shipped which is understandable but still sucks.
Thanks for the heads up!

Also stay tuned folks for a video on how to root the Nexus 4 or other Nexus devices using a Mac.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
Redmask wrote: So I got my Google Nexus 4 Wireless Orb imported through a friend in the US. Just want to caution people away from this expensive but useless accessory, they went with this strange rubber material that is supposed to grip the phone but it just slides off gradually and ends up not charging. I figure this is due to the glass back but I'm not paying for a specific case just so the thing gets held properly. I dug around on the internet and found several threads at XDA with people saying the same thing. Some users reported it works fine but then responded later in a few weeks that theirs now don't grip properly either.

is it because of the build-up of finger and hand grease on the back of the phone?
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary

I thought there is a magnet on the official wireless charger?
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5934 upvotes
jimmy-j wrote: is it because of the build-up of finger and hand grease on the back of the phone?
No, the phone is brand new and I cleaned both the phone and charger when I discovered the problem to rule that out.

There is no magnet, that's a misconception unfortunately. People assumed the slight sensation they felt during charging was from a magnet but it's just the field created by the induction coil. The only thing they have to grip the phone is the inner rubber suction rings which don't function well with a glass back. The ones on the outer layer are actually recessed and never make contact. It's a baffling design. If LG had actually provided a magnet on the inner back it might hold up better to the charger but I assume they didn't for cost or design purposes.

I strongly recommend people get a Qi charger with a flat bed (Ebay has some $25 chinese ones, Energizer makes some that are more expensive) but it's your money, just wanted to warn others since I now have a $60 useless accessory that I can't in good conscience sell to someone else.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks for the warning. Yes, you did save me $$$$. I'm in no hurry to get one, but Qi charger is one of contenders.
Redmask wrote: I strongly recommend people get a Qi charger with a flat bed (Ebay has some $25 chinese ones, Energizer makes some that are more expensive) but it's your money, just wanted to warn others since I now have a $60 useless accessory that I can't in good conscience sell to someone else.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)