Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 4/Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread/Accessories/ETC

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
b166er1337 wrote: The Google Keyboard is just a standalone app for non-nexus / non-custom ROM phones. I used Swiftkey for most of last year; the new 4.2 keyboard is good enough that I went back to stock.
+1
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Google, just release your SMS, Dialer, Gallery apps on play store already so the perfect app portfolio is complete.

And then i won't care as much about the nexus as i do currently.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Sep 21, 2004
11412 posts
7182 upvotes
Calgary
desidealer49 wrote: Google, just release your SMS, Dialer, Gallery apps on play store already so the perfect app portfolio is complete.

And then i won't care as much about the nexus as i do currently.
dialer yes, SMS maybe, and Gallery NO. QuickPic is a way better app than the stock Gallery.
Mar 7, 2011
160 posts
30 upvotes
I'm thinking of rooting my phone just to get rid of Google apps I can't uninstall like Play Books/Magazine/Movie/Music. Other than that I don't want to change anything. Is there a better way to get rid of these apps without rooting?
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
teamomega369 wrote: I'm thinking of rooting my phone just to get rid of Google apps I can't uninstall like Play Books/Magazine/Movie/Music. Other than that I don't want to change anything. Is there a better way to get rid of these apps without rooting?
Not really.

I've had my shiny new Nexus for 3 days, and it seems like I'm getting 3.5-4h of screen on time, auto brightness, wifi, no data. Is that normal for stock? Any way to increase it? I don't want to install custom kernels because I need the stock kernel for this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... trol&hl=en
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
zijin_cheng wrote: Not really.

I've had my shiny new Nexus for 3 days, and it seems like I'm getting 3.5-4h of screen on time, auto brightness, wifi, no data. Is that normal for stock? Any way to increase it? I don't want to install custom kernels because I need the stock kernel for this:
Custom kernel is pretty much your best bet.

That program you posted states it DOES need a custom kernel for Android 4.2.2, so you are good to go. I would recommend franco (been using his since day 1, and and very happy with his results), but I am sure there are plenty of others.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: Custom kernel is pretty much your best bet.

That program you posted states it DOES need a custom kernel for Android 4.2.2, so you are good to go. I would recommend franco (been using his since day 1, and and very happy with his results), but I am sure there are plenty of others.
Oh oops my bad.
I read somewhere that if you run franco, disable 2 cores, max out the CPU at 1.2GHz you get over 8 hours of screen time. How much do you get?
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11163 upvotes
zijin_cheng wrote: Oh oops my bad.
I read somewhere that if you run franco, disable 2 cores, max out the CPU at 1.2GHz you get over 8 hours of screen time. How much do you get?
To be truthful, I don't pay that much attention. I just know it is much better than when it was stock.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
Just remember this one tidbit - installing a custom kernel like Franco's for example can muck up with future OTA updates from Google. Even if you use Franco's updater app to restore to the old kernel.
Blanka
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Just remember this one tidbit - installing a custom kernel like Franco's for example can muck up with future OTA updates from Google. Even if you use Franco's updater app to restore to the old kernel.
But as long as I'm on stock updates to 4.3 or 5.1 will work? Even if I added kernel modules?
Have you tried wugfresh's nexus toolkit? It might work.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
zijin_cheng wrote: But as long as I'm on stock updates to 4.3 or 5.1 will work? Even if I added kernel modules?
Have you tried wugfresh's nexus toolkit? It might work.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/
Thing is, modifying the stock kernel by removing it and installing a custom kernel can internally change some of the files. I say this because I experienced this first hand when I had 4.2.1 and wanted to update to 4.2.2. I tried every method to restore to stock kernel - Franco's updater up, Only way to get it to work was to reflash the boot.img via Fastboot/ADB and so I had to start from scratch again.

There is a way to fix it, but you have to tweak some files under the Root Explorer.
When flashing my kernel the stock powerhal is renamed to power.msm8960.bk.so so that you can return to stock hal without needing to flash rom again. Dir is: /system/lib/hw. Just remove power.msm8960.so and remove the .bk from the backed up file, give it r/w permissions and then reboot.
PS Wug's Toolkit is the same thing as using the commands via Fastboot. The toolkit is there for people who are not comfortable using the commands. Rather it makes it easier for them or new users. For advanced users, people use the Fastboot, ADB commands.

Read this post as to what I meant: official-google-nexus-4-android-4-2-thr ... st16896963
Blanka
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Thing is, modifying the stock kernel by removing it and installing a custom kernel can internally change some of the files. I say this because I experienced this first hand when I had 4.2.1 and wanted to update to 4.2.2. I tried every method to restore to stock kernel - Franco's updater up, Only way to get it to work was to reflash the boot.img via Fastboot/ADB and so I had to start from scratch again.

There is a way to fix it, but you have to tweak some files under the Root Explorer.

PS Wug's Toolkit is the same thing as using the commands via Fastboot. The toolkit is there for people who are not comfortable using the commands. Rather it makes it easier for them or new users. For advanced users, people use the Fastboot, ADB commands.

Read this post as to what I meant: official-google-nexus-4-android-4-2-thr ... st16896963
But the important thing is that it is doable. Cool thanks. I'll probably never go back to stock, as I need swipe2wake, long press volume to skip, trebuchet, notification drawer, full control over the LED, changing the 3 softkeys etc. CM10.1 does all this for me.

EDIT: I want the Halo feature in my smartphone, but hate Paranoid Android (personally, the changes to their interfaces turns me off). I'm guessing Halo only works if you rewrite an entire ROM for multi window overlays, so its not going to come as an apk that will work with any phone right.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
zijin_cheng wrote: But the important thing is that it is doable. Cool thanks. I'll probably never go back to stock, as I need swipe2wake, long press volume to skip, trebuchet, notification drawer and full control over the LED notification light.
You're welcome but just keep an eye out for things, that is all. PS for Swipe2Wake, if you keep the phone in your pocket, doesn't the screen turn on by mistake? Meaning its against the pocket's material, etc? Just like the "pocket dial" issue?
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2217 posts
438 upvotes
zijin_cheng wrote: Not really.

zijin_cheng wrote: Oh oops my bad.
Haha definitely not 8 hours of screen time. That's probably impossible unless you have the Note II. 3.5-4 hours is pretty good for just stock and you could probably sneak another hour or so if using Franco but I find his kernels make my phone act a little wonky. Last time I used it, there were noticeable lags and hiccups.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
zijin_cheng wrote: But the important thing is that it is doable. Cool thanks. I'll probably never go back to stock, as I need swipe2wake, long press volume to skip, trebuchet, notification drawer, full control over the LED, changing the 3 softkeys etc. CM10.1 does all this for me.

EDIT: I want the Halo feature in my smartphone, but hate Paranoid Android (personally, the changes to their interfaces turns me off). I'm guessing Halo only works if you rewrite an entire ROM for multi window overlays, so its not going to come as an apk that will work with any phone right.
Paranoid is one of the best IMO. The changes can all be undone in the hybrid properties and you can make it look like a phone again. The benefits if halo plus pie do it for me. Just an amazing combo of function and form. I flashed 3.6 on Friday and its been stable and fast.

All of the features you love can even probably be ported over since its all a mix of aosp, cm, aokp...etc
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
jimmy-j wrote: Paranoid is one of the best IMO. The changes can all be undone in the hybrid properties and you can make it look like a phone again. The benefits if halo plus pie do it for me. Just an amazing combo of function and form. I flashed 3.6 on Friday and its been stable and fast.

All of the features you love can even probably be ported over since its all a mix of aosp, cm, aokp...etc
Eg, I can't get back the normal settings and email, I don't know how to do it.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9309 upvotes
zijin_cheng wrote: Eg, I can't get back the normal settings and email, I don't know how to do it.
Reverting back to Stock JB? Or normal settings under Hybrid Properties in PA?
Blanka

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)