• Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8579 posts
2162 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
g.n.s. wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 4:05 am
Google Wallet hasn't worked since JB upgrade (maybe even before ... cant remember when exactly). But you needed a rooted phone to use "Market Enabler" to fake "T-Mobile" before you can open the application.

But now even when using the enabler you can not open the app. Also, google has removed the ability to add funds via Mastercard gift certificate method. You now need a fully qualified US credit card.
Works for me with a Google Galaxy Nexus running JB 4.2.1. I've bought apps from Play using the Wallet app on my phone and had it charged to my US$ credit card. It all works very smoothly and impressively.

You need:
1. Root access. There's a warning about the possible security exposure but you can ignore it. Access to Wallet isn't blocked.
2. NFC enabled. My non-OEM extra capacity battery lacks the NFC antenna. That doesn't stop the Wallet app from starting. (Of course without the antenna it might not work at an enabled cash register.)
3. US carrier. The Market Unlocker takes care of that nicely.
4. US$ credit card. I use a Canadian-based TD/CT US$ Borderless VISA card with a US snail mail address. TD/CT will add a US address as a secondary to your Canadian address. Just phone them and ask. They're familiar with the need, not just for Wallet but also because some US online sites won't accept non-US credit cards.

P.S. I signed up for Wallet many months ago after I bought my GN phone. At that time they put a free $10 gift card in my Wallet once I set up the account. For various reasons I never tapped into that balance. In October they discontinued gift cards in Wallet. They offered to replace the $10 Wallet balance with a physical $10 prepaid MC. It's currently in the mail on the way to my Canadian address. As usual Google is a class act. (I realize those who tried to buy N4s may disagree.)
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37990 posts
5468 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Babo wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 5:08 am
Hi guys,

I have a rooted Nexus 4, and I am having reception issues. I am with Rogers, and coming from a blackberry. I notice that in basements and condos the signal is low and jumps around all over the place when compared to other people's phones (Iphone/Blackberry). Is anyone else having reception issues with the Nexus 4? The signal is also constantly shifting between H/3G. I don't have any ROMs or Kernels installed either. Anyone able to share their experiences with signal levels on Rogers?

Thanks!
Can't really help you there. I'm with Bell but I do get the odd low or no reception at my house with Bell. Perhaps the area I live.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Mar 11, 2009
711 posts
29 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 2:30 pm
Works for me with a Google Galaxy Nexus running JB 4.2.1. I've bought apps from Play using the Wallet app on my phone and had it charged to my US$ credit card. It all works very smoothly and impressively.

You need:
1. Root access. There's a warning about the possible security exposure but you can ignore it. Access to Wallet isn't blocked.
2. NFC enabled. My non-OEM extra capacity battery lacks the NFC antenna. That doesn't stop the Wallet app from starting. (Of course without the antenna it might not work at an enabled cash register.)
3. US carrier. The Market Unlocker takes care of that nicely.
4. US$ credit card. I use a Canadian-based TD/CT US$ Borderless VISA card with a US snail mail address. TD/CT will add a US address as a secondary to your Canadian address. Just phone them and ask. They're familiar with the need, not just for Wallet but also because some US online sites won't accept non-US credit cards.

P.S. I signed up for Wallet many months ago after I bought my GN phone. At that time they put a free $10 gift card in my Wallet once I set up the account. For various reasons I never tapped into that balance. In October they discontinued gift cards in Wallet. They offered to replace the $10 Wallet balance with a physical $10 prepaid MC. It's currently in the mail on the way to my Canadian address. As usual Google is a class act. (I realize those who tried to buy N4s may disagree.)
Ahh nice, so use "market unlocker" instead of market enabler. I too got in on the 10$ freebee as well :D
PSN: gns168 | Gamertag: gns168
---
Currently playing: FFVX, DaSIII DLC, Destiny-ROI (PS4)
Aug 7, 2007
390 posts
99 upvotes
enhanced wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 11:17 pm
Awesome. Thanks so much.

Was the replacement phone a new phone or a refurbish?
They sent me a new phone, and the replacement's screen is perfect!
Aug 7, 2007
390 posts
99 upvotes
Loving the phone so far but carrying it around is becoming a PIA. My previous phone was half the size and while it's small screen had it's own set of annoyances I could at least carry it around in my front jeans pocket and leave it there until I had to use it. The Nexus 4's big form factor makes it's impractical to carry anywhere other than my back pocket, which means sooner or later I'm either going to sit on it, or take it out and forget it somewhere.

First world problems, right? Be that as it may, I'm thinking about going retro and getting a pouch ... any suggestions that won't make me look like a horse with a (phone) saddle?
Dec 25, 2008
103 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
A small issue I have noticed: I have noticed my N4 isn't loading Google Talk upon boot like it should. I'm rooted, but running stock kernel/ROM. I don't plan on rebooting my phone that often, but I've noticed this behaviour is reliable.

Also, I brought my phone to Vaughan Mills today and had Ghost Armour applied to the screen. They were a little overrun (it is only a few days before Christmas), but they had the screen protector for the Nexus 4 in stock.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37990 posts
5468 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Twitch_City wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 10:07 pm
A small issue I have noticed: I have noticed my N4 isn't loading Google Talk upon boot like it should. I'm rooted, but running stock kernel/ROM. I don't plan on rebooting my phone that often, but I've noticed this behaviour is reliable.

Also, I brought my phone to Vaughan Mills today and had Ghost Armour applied to the screen. They were a little overrun (it is only a few days before Christmas), but they had the screen protector for the Nexus 4 in stock.
Loading up Google Talk in the sense?
1724 posts
221 upvotes
RMB
I got the phone yesterday, last around 13 hrs on 1 full charge. Just wondering if there are any good task management app out there that would help preserve battery life? I saw some thread about upgrading to 4.2.1 make the battery life even worse, is that true?
Sep 25, 2007
508 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
Just got one from the excellent phillharmonic.

Stupid question but how do you actually buy a nillkin case? I'm trying to find an add to card button here: http://www.nillkin.com/english/proshow. ... 961&page=1

I take it they don't ship from Canada? Free shipping? How long does it take? I'm scared to use my phone until I get a case on it... :p

Or should I just get this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
they've got it ins tock and it's $2 to ship to canada apparently...or maybe free

NFC tags, good/cheap source for nexus 4 compatibles?

Also, good portable battery charger with USB ports that's at least 2100mah? I've got enough usb devices that it makes sense now... Anyone have experience with any of these? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_ ... 2491147011

Should buy a replacement battery for my nexus 1, too...
Apr 11, 2009
23 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
RT Wolf wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 10:48 pm
Just got one from the excellent phillharmonic.

Stupid question but how do you actually buy a nillkin case? I'm trying to find an add to card button here: http://www.nillkin.com/english/proshow. ... 961&page=1
Buy it off ebay. It should come to ~$9 shipped from China/Hong Kong. I've seen some links of a seller from the US. Just look on eBay.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1830 posts
152 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
Moerby wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 9:37 pm
Loving the phone so far but carrying it around is becoming a PIA. My previous phone was half the size and while it's small screen had it's own set of annoyances I could at least carry it around in my front jeans pocket and leave it there until I had to use it. The Nexus 4's big form factor makes it's impractical to carry anywhere other than my back pocket, which means sooner or later I'm either going to sit on it, or take it out and forget it somewhere.

First world problems, right? Be that as it may, I'm thinking about going retro and getting a pouch ... any suggestions that won't make me look like a horse with a (phone) saddle?
the phone fits fine in my front pocket. I'm not a big guy either. Not sure why you are having issues
Dec 25, 2008
103 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 10:26 pm
Loading up Google Talk in the sense?
I am not sure what you mean by "in the sense", but I'm pretty sure that Google Talk should log in to Google Chat what the phone boots, no? (e.g. if you are on a friend's computer, you should come online when the phone starts, if you aren't already logged in on another computer) Basically, all I'm thinking is that the Google Talk process should startup in the background when the phone does.
bargain man wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 12:39 am
the phone fits fine in my front pocket. I'm not a big guy either. Not sure why you are having issues
Yeah, me too. After my XT860 (the Milestone 3, with full pull-out keyboard), the N4 is *slim*!
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
3303 posts
724 upvotes
25.26$ for 50 tags on aliexpress
For NFC tags, would you recommend buying these?
It works with galaxy nexus, should it work with the N4?

SCRATCH THAT
Based on this ebay auction
It looks the same and it says it doesn't work with the nexus 4.

I'm new to NFC tags, so what should I look for?
How do I know if it works with the Nexus 4?
Aug 7, 2007
390 posts
99 upvotes
bargain man wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 12:39 am
It goes into the pocket but walking/sitting feels awkward. I'm tall but my jeans are skinny. Think I'll give this a go.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37990 posts
5468 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I know the Xperia Tags work. I posted up a video on this thread showing it does. Not sure of any other brand/make.