OFFICIAL Google Nexus 4/Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread/Accessories/ETC

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8104 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
^ For replacements, do they charge you the full amount for a new one then refund you once they receive your old phone?
Oct 19, 2012
923 posts
89 upvotes
Brampton
mcg wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 6:52 pm
^ For replacements, do they charge you the full amount for a new one then refund you once they receive your old phone?
They put a temp charge of 359 and only charge you if you don't send your original on time or if the damage to the phone is not covered by their return policy.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
rcheung13 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 6:49 pm
Probably not the best place to ask, but should I wait for the BlackBerry Z10?
how dare you infidel!!!

;)
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2003
9997 posts
338 upvotes
Vancouver
longitude wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 6:18 pm
how strong is the flashlight compared to the galaxy s3?
Dunno, but the N4's is the brightest I've ever seen.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37687 posts
5428 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Kaitlyn wrote:
Dec 28th, 2012 10:17 pm
Too bright!
That a good thing or bad?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Oct 19, 2012
923 posts
89 upvotes
Brampton
The nexus 4's flashlight is amazingly bright. It lit up my whole basement when it was pitch black.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8051 posts
1890 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Gizmodo on why you won't see Google Nexus 4 With LTE Connectivity
The Speculation: When Google released its Nexus 4 phone, users were shocked to learn that the device did not support 4G LTE, the fastest type of mobile network. To avoid dealing with carriers and building carrier-specific versions of its handset, the company decided to go with simple HSPA support, a decision Android head Andy Rubin called a "tactical issue.". Despite Rubin's comments, some believe that Google will eventually offer an LTE version of the Nexus 4, because it provided carrier-specific LTE versions of its prior-gen phone, the Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus 4 even has a disabled LTE radio inside of it, though this radio can only support a handful of bands that most areas of the U.S. don't use.

Why It Won't Happen: With the Nexus 4, Google is trying to make a point about its independence from carriers. Users who want a nearly-identical phone with LTE can already buy the LG Optimus G. However, not including LTE on phones is a poor long-term strategy. I wouldn't be surprised if Google's next handset, rumored to be the Motorola X, had LTE that worked with at least a couple of the major U.S. carriers' networks.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
bylo wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 4:22 pm
Gizmodo on why you won't see Google Nexus 4 With LTE Connectivity
But if in order to enable LTE on the Nexus 4 users can simply change a few parameters as shown in the first page of this topic, what's the deal?
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
This has been asked before, but allow me to ask again.

How many of you Nexus 4 proud users have had to to cut a regular SIM card to fit in?

How many have a Rogers voice/data plan on a Blackberry Bold that were able to use the cut SIM card seamlessly on the newly acquired Nexus 4 without having to call Rogers?
11b guide
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37687 posts
5428 upvotes
Richmond Hill
longitude wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 6:27 pm
But if in order to enable LTE on the Nexus 4 users can simply change a few parameters as shown in the first page of this topic, what's the deal?
Article is probably stating future versions of the Nexus 4 if sold by carriers or via Google. You can still enable the option using the methods mentioned in the first page. Not by changing it via hardware wise.
longitude wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 6:28 pm
This has been asked before, but allow me to ask again.

How many of you Nexus 4 proud users have had to to cut a regular SIM card to fit in?

How many have a Rogers voice/data plan on a Blackberry Bold that were able to use the cut SIM card seamlessly on the newly acquired Nexus 4 without having to call Rogers?
None to both and for the second question, I'm a Bell customer. Already had a LTE micro sim from my S3.
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
djemzine wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 6:46 pm
You can still enable the option (LTE) using the methods mentioned in the first page. Not by changing it via hardware wise.
this is what is intriguing me:
In order to take advantage of LTE on commonly-used U.S. and European bands, your Nexus 4 would need a fresh bundle of antennae within the chassis (which FCC filings reveal the phone lacks).

It'd also need specially designed radio firmware (proprietary, closed-source stuff) and redesigned power management systems to manage the additional juice needed to run LTE.
http://www.androidcentral.com/no-your-n ... te-support
11b guide
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37687 posts
5428 upvotes
Richmond Hill
longitude wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 6:55 pm
this is what is intriguing me:

http://www.androidcentral.com/no-your-n ... te-support
Dude. We all have proven here that we can enable LTE on the Nexus 4 using the Canadian carriers that support LTE, provided you have a LTE sim card and/or LTE data. A video as well too, me proving it. So don't see what there is that you're intrigued lol.

You can test it out for yourself or ask others on here if its true or not. Or if its been a hoax from what we've observed lol. Just saying.

PLUS plisk3n has also found a way to permanently enable LTE even after you reboot your phone:

HOW TO PERMANENTLY HAVE LTE ENABLED WITHOUT REBOOTING THE PHONE *Special Thanks to plisk3n*

How to permanently enable LTE after rebooting. No need to go into your phone settings via *#*#4636#*#*:

1. Make sure your phone is rooted
2. Download your build.prop file (in CMD prompt type this "adb pull /system/build.prop")
3. Edit your build.prop file (use a *nix compatible text editor if you're in Windows, I recommend Notepad2) and add these lines to the end:

Code: Select all

telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1
ro.telephony.default_network=9
ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9
4. Push the file back to /system (adb push build.prop /system/build.prop)

After you've done that, perform a FACTORY reset. Don't forget to add the APN settings back if you're on Rogers or Bell or whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBIKgl_wc4
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
^^^^ That's one of my points.

I currently possess a Rogers Blackberry Bold 9900 with a voice/data plan and regular SIM card.

If I cut the SIM card and insert it into the Nexus 4, will it have LTE too?

Or do I have to call Rogers to get a new SIM card just for LTE, regardless of the hack procedure that you have so kindly and graciously provided?

:)
11b guide
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37687 posts
5428 upvotes
Richmond Hill
longitude wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 7:48 pm
^^^^ That's one of my points.

I currently possess a Rogers Blackberry Bold 9900 with a voice/data plan and regular SIM card.

If I cut the SIM card and insert it into the Nexus 4, will it have LTE too?

Or do I have to call Rogers to get a new SIM card just for LTE, regardless of the hack procedure that you have so kindly and graciously provided?

:)
1) You need LTE micro sim card
2) You need LTE data plan

As per the steps I have mentioned on the first page
Ensure you have a LTE data plan + an activated LTE micro sim before you continue.
That's it.