Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 4/Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread/Accessories/ETC

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Jan 8, 2012
4 posts
bylo wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 2:42 pm
Sorry to hear about the cracked screen. (I dropped my Google Galaxy Nexus on a stone sidewalk last summer and was certain that the same fate would, um, befall it. Fortunately it landed on a corner and only that part of the case sustained scratches.)

Here's Google's official position: Devices on Google Play Terms of Sale
What does the warranty card say?

P.S. re "I know that if I brought an iphone this wouldn't be the experience." OTOH 1x $i5 = 2x $N4 so even if your N4 is a complete write-off you can still buy a replacement without spending more than you would have on an iPhone ;)
Well I know since I dropped the phone, it`s not something that will be covered by any warranty, but I just need to get it fixed by getting in touch with a person. If you really want to know the manual is kind of funny. It points to an LG website that doesn`t exist. Another great LG move to evade customers? Try typing in the URL listed in the warranty booklet (see http://dl.dropbox.com/u/90889735/LG.jpg)

Yeah I can get 2 phones for the same price as a new iPhone, but what if I experience a problem with my second phone? Knowing what I know about the service I will get I am not sure it`s such a great idea. What happens if I end up with a defective unit? Then I have just paid the same price for 2 dead phones. I have been without my Nexus since Dec 26. Everyone who I managed to talk to pawns me off to someone else until I reach a third party service company that doesn`t answer any emails or calls (I also google them and found some really horrible reviews on these third party companies but I am staying positive because only people with bad experience post reviews right?). I have my old phone back up and running but I still don`t have an answer yet so I don`t know what my next step would be. Should I just call it a day and buy a replacement part myself? I will definitely void my warranty (for what it`s worth) if I do that. But maybe it will be cheaper to do that then pay what the third party charges...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8176 posts
1931 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I realize that a cracked screen won't be covered by warranty. I referred to warranty because if Google sends N4 customers to LG for warranty repairs then I can understand why they'd do the same for non-warranty work.

I doubt the dead LG link is intentional. It sounds more like incompetence. In any case, when I try the generic lgservice.com it takes me to LG's Canadian home page. A search there on Google or Nexus comes up with nothing. I would try to escalate within Google Canada and/or with the media, e.g. Ellen Roseman at Toronto Star. Your experience suggests that Google is at the bottom of a very long learning curve with respect to servicing their retail product customers.

As for buying a second N4, as people have reported upthread, Google seems to be willing to replace new units that arrive with defects or are DOA. Maybe one of those posters can chime in with who they called, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1118 posts
17 upvotes
anyone know where/how to turn the vibrate alert off when texting a message? (vibrates for each key/character typed)... driving me nuts.

I have checked the settings for the text messaging ap, and went to the sound settings and still could not find it.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
2122 posts
536 upvotes
xGambitx wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 9:47 am
anyone know where/how to turn the vibrate alert off when texting a message? (vibrates for each key/character typed)... driving me nuts.

I have checked the settings for the text messaging ap, and went to the sound settings and still could not find it.
Just go to settings-Language and Input and press the little settings button beside the Android Keyboard and uncheck the box for Vibrate on key press.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
1970 posts
47 upvotes
i understand the need of protection for your phones with cases..but for me personally i can't get a case and hide the beauty of this phoen..especially the back of the phone..

all i did was put a skinomi protector on the back of the phone to prevent scratches.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
2122 posts
536 upvotes
Ditto. :)

I did order a cheap case and a bumper, but only for when needed. Otherwise, just XtremeGuard on the front and back.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 16, 2003
9964 posts
363 upvotes
Toronto
Qwest905 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 11:04 am
i understand the need of protection for your phones with cases..but for me personally i can't get a case and hide the beauty of this phoen..especially the back of the phone..

all i did was put a skinomi protector on the back of the phone to prevent scratches.
yes baby.. keep the nexxie sexxie
Follow me on instagram to see Toronto https://instagram.com/kennyk3n/
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
282 upvotes
Onterrible
sodapop12 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 2:00 pm
Ok I cracked my screen. I know, I know... lectures I need a case. The ironic thing was I was just heading out to get one and dropped it literally right before I was heading out. And for some reason LG Canada just doesn't want to service this phone. I called LG Canada and the first time I got through they told me anything brought off Google Play is to be serviced by Google. So they gave me a Google Adwords number to call. That number doesn't have options for cell phone repair. I managed to find my own Google Play service number and they point me back to LG.

If you go to LG Canada's website and try to fill in the form to email them, the model number (E960) isn't on the list to select so you can't go further and actually finish the email form. I got on the phone with LG again and this time spoke to someone who knew they service their own phone! And directed me to 2 local repair companies that they recommend in my area (Toronto, Canada) which is also where they are based out of. One of them is FutureTel and there's no phone number, only a fax number. They also state on their website they don't accept customer walk in, courier shipment only. I emailed them on Dec 27. Still no reply, there's been 2 working days since then. The second company is All Tech-Neek. They list a phone number but I called a few times on the 28th during business hours in the morning and there's no answer. Also no voice mail. I emailed them on Dec 28, still no answer. I don't even have an answer as to whether someone can fix it, I haven't spoken to a single person yet who's the end person I'm suppose to talk to. I mean once I sent in my phone I don't even know how I would get an update on the status of the phone, if they are that hard to reach. From what I read online these 2 service companies deal with phone dealers, so maybe they don't care about 1 single phone - it's just small one time business to them?

I also think that since they aren't part of LG they are likely going to charge a little extra, they are there to make a profit right.

I have told Google about this experience but no one seems to want to help. They said I have to go to LG and sent me to the LG US site link. They can't send me a replacement...

I'm so frustrated. I have always used Android phone but this has put me off it. I know that if I brought an iphone this wouldn't be the experience. I LOVE Google software and uuugh I really don't want an iPhone but this has been such a bad experience all around. Anyone else having the same experience? Or am I the first idiot to crack their screen?
If you have a platinum Visa check with them. Most have a 90 warranty for loss or damage.
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
Jun 27, 2004
255 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone get the new batch of Nexus 4's without the nice glittery back?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2007
2122 posts
536 upvotes
sean222 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 4:34 pm
Anyone get the new batch of Nexus 4's without the nice glittery back?
I saw the article as well. Mine was from the 2nd batch but and doesn't seem to be as glittery (but still kinda sparkly) as the ones I've seen in the video reviews but who knows if there is any truth to the rumour.

The image below (from here) seems to just be taken from an angle that doesn't reflect the "sparkles".

Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8176 posts
1931 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Canuckerr wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 3:39 pm
If you have a platinum Visa check with them. Most have a 90 warranty for loss or damage.
Although that's a good suggestion (and I believe even some gold Visa/MC cards have this feature) that doesn't help him because he can't get LG to repair the phone in the first place. ISTM Google has a big problem on their hands with servicing LG-made products. It's not clear if this is a worldwide LG issue or if LG Canada still hasn't gotten the memo from HQ about LG-made, Google-branded devices.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
282 upvotes
Onterrible
So when I was rooting my phone I installed the LG and PDANET drivers/installs... What do I do now. Apparently, you were not supposed to download and install these.. I did, is my phone messed now?
Why were you not supposed to install them?
thanks
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
Mar 11, 2009
708 posts
29 upvotes
Those drivers are flaky and they don't always work in fastboot or adb mode but if you got them to work then all is good.

It is recommended to use these drivers here by this efrant that maintains this awesome guide to return to stock and ota for galaxy nexus (pretty much the same for nexus4)
PSN: gns168 | Gamertag: gns168
---
Currently playing: SFV, Destiny-TTK (PS4)
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
282 upvotes
Onterrible
Phew, good thing they worked then. I was scared. So I guess i'm good, since the phone works and I have no problems.
Thanks.

BTW, for those who want a full body or front screen protector, the best deal right now in my opinion is the SKINOMI protectors.
$11.99 (free shipping) for the screen protector
http://www.skinomi.com/sk12038-lg-nexus ... ector.html

$19.99 (free shipping) for the full body protector
http://www.skinomi.com/sk12039-lg-nexus ... ector.html

Use "get25" for 25% off
AND SKINOMI has a lifetime warranty.

This is the cheapest protector that uses the "techskin" or "helicopter skin" at the moment. + the lifetime warranty.
The ebay screen protectors do not fit properly and the feel of the helicoptor skin is a lot nicer imo.
Bestskinsever would be the next cheapest option, but they don't offer lifetime warranty.

Also, those considering the poetic bumper cases, I would stay away from them for now. It seems there are a lot of quality control issues as the case is falling apart. Too bad, especially since the bumper looks really good with the different colours and all. I would suggest sticking with the tpu cases from ebay until google releases more bumpers.
× < >