• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
xGambitx wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 11:08 am
quick question, trying to go back to stock kernel because franco is giving me alot of issues.

the stock one listed on the front page is a .img extention which I cannot install from recovery and it is expecting a .zip file,

how do I install stock kernal .img file ?
Uhh... I mentioned this on the 2nd post itself. Please read this and see the video. You can do it via fastboot. No recovery needed.

FYI: Not only to you, but as a casual reminder, to all, please do read the entire guides I have posted up before asking any questions. If you still have questions after you've read the guides, then you can feel free to ask. I have covered every portion out there, except - going back to stock from custom ROMs, etc. Which I will do when I get the time.

So xGambitx here you go, taken from post # 2 on the first page with a video guide:
Now if you want to restore back to the stock kernel or any other custom kernels, you can follow the necessary steps. This is also if you mess up.

1) If your phone gets messed up for any reason, you can always restore your Nandroid back up. Provided of course you have made a Nandroid backup already.
2) The other way is to flash the stock kernel/boot image. Link can be found under "STOCK ANDROID FILES" at the top of this Post #2.
i) Once you have that downloaded, boot your phone into fastboot mode
ii) Type in "fastboot flash boot boot.img"
iii) When its done, reboot by typing "fastboot reboot"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... a_eyJ-owSg
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
282 upvotes
Onterrible
Just wondering if anyone uses an app called "SDBooster".
I'm curious to know if it is necessary for the Nexus 4? The only reason why I don't to try it is because it had a warning when I opened it saying they take no responsibility for damage to your phone? Which concerned me. Is it like overclocking something?

Also, anyone using SD Maid? I'm curious to know what you actually need it for.

Thanks.
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
Dec 20, 2006
340 posts
70 upvotes
gphammer wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 9:47 pm
I have been using the otter cases for all my phones . Protects very well but the bloody thing is like a tank. Could anyone advise if the TPU case would protect the N4 against potential drops? I presume the hard cases are not as shock absorbing.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
TPU is a good option for drops, better than hard case. The otter case would be the best of both worlds but they are not planing on making one. If you bug their FB page enough, they might consier it ...
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
282 upvotes
Onterrible
I have been using Android for two years now and for some reason I didn't know about "Launchers".
Check them out. No need to install custom ROMs as these launchers are fully customizable.

Just downloaded Nova Launcher and it's amazing.
Those who don't know what a launcher is should google it. It will completely change your android experience.
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Canuckerr wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 12:22 am
I have been using Android for two years now and for some reason I didn't know about "Launchers".
Check them out. No need to install custom ROMs as these launchers are fully customizable.

Just downloaded Nova Launcher and it's amazing.
Those who don't know what a launcher is should google it. It will completely change your android experience.
Ya but I think launchers are mostly for non stock Android phones. Just my opinion. There's also Apex as well.

Welcome to the club lol. Took you that long eh? :razz:
Apr 26, 2011
3232 posts
1097 upvotes
Toronto
rembot wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2013 9:10 am
Anyone eklse bought the diztronic tpu case? I bought it yestedray and was wondering what you impressions are so far and how long it took to ship to Canada...
it took about a week to get in Toronto (which was pretty fast). At the moment, it's the case I'm using and compared to the ebay tpu s-case and other cheap tpu ones, it has a significantly higher quality. My next case will probably be the nilkin leather flip case, looks pretty nice.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
dear djemzine,

what's the very first thing I should do on my new Nexus 4?

Root it?

I'm planning on doing the easiest method: Wug's Toolkit.

I don't have anything installed on the new Nexus 4, so I don't need to backup anything, right?

Please confirm.

Thanks.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
longitude wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 2:22 pm
dear djemzine,

what's the very first thing I should do on my new Nexus 4?

Root it?

I'm planning on doing the easiest method: Wug's Toolkit.

I don't have anything installed on the new Nexus 4, so I don't need to backup anything, right?

Please confirm.

Thanks.
First thing's first - unlock the bootloader. Rooting can be done at a later time. Can still be even done if you have apps installed. Unlocking bootloader is key. Better do it before when you get your N4. Why? Because if you unlock it at a later point, you lose everything on your phone. Please follow steps on page 1 how to enable Developer Options, then proceed using Wug's tool kit.

The tool kit is straight forward. Have used it in the past for GN, but not for N4. I do it the old fashioned way - 2nd nature to me lol.

Edit: No need to backup anything since you have nothing installed.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
^^^ Does the bootloader have to remain unlocked forever?

Or only before rooting the device or flashing a new rom?
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
longitude wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 3:35 pm
^^^ Does the bootloader have to remain unlocked forever?

Or only before rooting the device or flashing a new rom?
If you decide to re-lock the bootloader for any purpose - lets say warranty replacement/fix. Then you can go ahead and do so. Please be aware that if you do decide to unlock it again, you will lose everything. I myself, have my bootloaders unlocked.

So yes, to answer your question. It has to remain unlocked in order to root, flash a new custom ROM, flash/install custom kernels, recoveries, etc. Put it this way, any Android development you do with your phone, you need to have an unlocked bootloader.
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
^^^ I'm not concerned with warranty, so performance won't be affected by leaving the bootloader unlocked forever, right?
11b guide
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4298 posts
513 upvotes
longitude wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 3:41 pm
^^^ I'm not concerned with warranty, so performance won't be affected by leaving the bootloader unlocked forever, right?
unlocking/locking, rooting/unrooting, all can be easily undone so you dont have to worry about anything.

anyone on AOKP beta + faux kernel? What settings are you using to achieve optimal battery life?
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
longitude wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 3:41 pm
akz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 3:42 pm
unlocking/locking, rooting/unrooting, all can be easily undone so you dont have to worry about anything.

anyone on AOKP beta + faux kernel? What settings are you using to achieve optimal battery life?
Pretty much what he said. No performance is not affected by having an unlocked bootloader permanently.

akz, can't comment on AOKP beta + faux kernel. Currently running stock with Franco's Kernel R#23 though.

Speaking of kernels, it seems Franco has updated the kernel yet again to R27 this time. Update away people!
Originally Posted by franciscofranco
Ok r27 is out:

r27:
This should be the latest version before the first Milestone labeled release is out
* This release is based on test releases r24-test, r25-test and r26-test which include:
- Interactive governor fixes from Google
- Improvements to the Hotplug driver for bettery battery without sacrificing performance
- Make the thermal control a little more aggressive to prevent heat
- Qualcomm patches which include improvements to the msm_hsic_wakelock etc

Everyone should update to this one, has the change from CM's kernel to fix the instability on the connectivities.
Sep 13, 2004
4298 posts
513 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 3:45 pm
Pretty much what he said. No performance is not affected by having an unlocked bootloader permanently.

akz, can't comment on AOKP beta + faux kernel. Currently running stock with Franco's Kernel R#23 though.

Speaking of kernels, it seems Franco has updated the kernel yet again to R27 this time. Update away people!
dang yeah alot of people using Franco but i follow AOKP as it has all the options I want and with Faux kernel + aokp i was able to get almost a day of battery life out of my galaxy nexus. I went with stock android for the first week on my nexus 4 and I hated it lol
Friends don't let friends sign up with BHELL!
Bell free since 2010.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37669 posts
5425 upvotes
Richmond Hill
akz wrote:
Jan 4th, 2013 3:55 pm
dang yeah alot of people using Franco but i follow AOKP as it has all the options I want and with Faux kernel + aokp i was able to get almost a day of battery life out of my galaxy nexus. I went with stock android for the first week on my nexus 4 and I hated it lol
This the new build #1 you're using that was announced few days ago? How's it so far? Especially NFC polling? Ya I'm using Paranoid Android on my Galaxy Nexus. Its AOSP based now vs CM based. Loving it so far. Final version 3 will be out sometime this month. Hopefully they get NFC polling too.