• Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ReDmAn wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 9:20 pm
anybody have a tutorial on how to change up the home screen? i want to use one of this guys home screens http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2084351

i don't know what to do. haaaaaaaaaaalp!!! does my phone need to be rooted?
First thing I noticed -
*Paranoid Android 2.99 Beta 9
. He has his phone rooted with a custom ROM. Perhaps I should try out this UCC Widget.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
2434 posts
202 upvotes
Vancouver
Scribblez wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 5:03 pm

I kind of prefer the amoled screen of the Galaxy Nexus with the deeper blacks and more saturated colors. Although the IPS screen on the Nexus 4 has more accurate and natural colors (the whites are a huge improvement over the Galaxy Nexus). I'll probably get used to the new screen pretty quickly though.
The gamma calibration on the Nexus 4 is off causing the colours to look washed out. Colours on the IPS won't be as saturated as the S-amoled, but at least it'll look more lively. If you haven't already, download a kernel that allows colour adjustments and use the kernel's corresponding app to calibrate the colours. I use Faux's kernel and app. Allows for gamma adjustments.
Apr 3, 2006
620 posts
97 upvotes
ReDmAn wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 9:20 pm
anybody have a tutorial on how to change up the home screen? i want to use one of this guys home screens http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2084351
Wow those are some really sweet home screens. I gotta start looking into theming.

Finally got around to taking some battery use screenshots. I'm completely factory stock Android 4.2.1 here. No rooting or modding done whatsoever. This should give people an idea of what you can expect straight out of the box (assuming you didn't get unlucky with a defective unit/battery).

Got through just over a day with about 4 hours of screen time, 1 hour of voice calls, some light GPS mapping, app store updates, camera shots, and lots of other miscellaneous "typical smartphone stuff." Was out and about using 3G while on the road/work and wifi after I got home. I'd consider this an average day for a busy person with heavy phone use. With moderate/normal phone use I end up with 50% battery left instead of a nearly drained battery like below.

I don't use Airplane mode or anything out of the ordinary. I do always keep GPS off though until I need to use maps, at which point I will turn it on for the maps app. I forgot to turn it off again in this example, but I usually try to turn GPS off when I'm done using it.

Sep 22, 2009
742 posts
63 upvotes
Thanks for the guide to rooting. Got the r34 Franco Nightly running on my device and battery life seems to improve.

Found out the problem I had with not being able to connect using WiFi Hotspot may be attributed to conflict with drivers on my T430s Intel WiFi N-2200 card.

Has anyone noticed calls ending the moment you try to make them? I've had to redial the same number several times just to make a phone call through.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10008 posts
343 upvotes
Vancouver
Here's my battery usage, almost three full days at home on WiFi, light use (mostly in standby). Almost 3 hours of screen time and 25% left.

Nov 8, 2003
240 posts
10 upvotes
litebrite wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:18 am
The gamma calibration on the Nexus 4 is off causing the colours to look washed out. Colours on the IPS won't be as saturated as the S-amoled, but at least it'll look more lively. If you haven't already, download a kernel that allows colour adjustments and use the kernel's corresponding app to calibrate the colours. I use Faux's kernel and app. Allows for gamma adjustments.
Wow, thanks for that. Bought the FauxClock app, adjusted the gamma settings and the screen is definitely much better now. The washed out look is now gone which is what I definitely did not like about it. Now I can easily say I prefer the N4 screen over the Galaxy Nexus comparing them side by side. Worth the $5.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
16540 posts
2219 upvotes
Thornhill
I appear to have some sort of memory/battery leak. Past little while my Android OS has been using 70%+ of my battery life compared to everything else. Anyone have any ideas?

Also UCCW is pretty fantastic, some of the themes are well worth the 1-2 bucks. Just gotta have the time and patience to customize it :)

\
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Nice battery usage guys. I am going to attempt the XDA home screen posted earlier on my Nexus 4 sometime this weekend or perhaps my Galaxy Nexus since I already have a PA ROM installed already.

Also welcome to all for all the useful information I am trying to contribute.
99 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
My RMA came yesterday (woot), so I'm back to customizing. I'm currently running the latest Franco kernel (r52) with the latest CM nightly.

A couple questions:
1) To those who use Franco to improve battery life: did you actually configure any settings on the kernel? I've scrolled through them, but (other than vibration strength), there doesn't seem to be much that I'd want to play with out knowing what it would do. Also, what colour corrections did you make? I adjusted the scroll bars a bit, but then thought that I just made the screen look worse, haha.

2) When I flashed the recovery, I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery Touch (paid the $2 to support the developer). However, now I'm trying to use CyanDelta to incrementally update the nightlies and have realized that it isn't compatible with CWMT, just CWM recovery. I was wondering: can I just make a backup and then use the ROM manager to flash the free CWM and be good to go? Or do I have to wipe caches/factory reset/etc to change the recovery?
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
shaolinmonk wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 8:17 am
Has anyone rma'd a nexus 4 and then kept it? My friend wants a nexus and that seems like the easiest way to get one
I think if you do the above, won't you be charged for the phone? That's what a coworker of mine was told. Needless to say, for him, the RMA process took 2 weeks. So he was phone-less for 2 weeks, which isn't bad. His RMA replacement for a new phone has a better battery life it seems.
Twitch_City wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 9:28 am
My RMA came yesterday (woot), so I'm back to customizing. I'm currently running the latest Franco kernel (r52) with the latest CM nightly.

A couple questions:
1) To those who use Franco to improve battery life: did you actually configure any settings on the kernel? I've scrolled through them, but (other than vibration strength), there doesn't seem to be much that I'd want to play with out knowing what it would do. Also, what colour corrections did you make? I adjusted the scroll bars a bit, but then thought that I just made the screen look worse, haha.

2) When I flashed the recovery, I flashed ClockworkMod Recovery Touch (paid the $2 to support the developer). However, now I'm trying to use CyanDelta to incrementally update the nightlies and have realized that it isn't compatible with CWMT, just CWM recovery. I was wondering: can I just make a backup and then use the ROM manager to flash the free CWM and be good to go? Or do I have to wipe caches/factory reset/etc to change the recovery?
Answer:

1) No colour corrections, no adjusting. However I did change my governor settings to play around with and experiment different battery lives.

2) Not running on a custom ROM. Waiting for full version of PA version 3 to roll out from beta 2.99
Aug 4, 2008
1956 posts
192 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 11:01 am
I think if you do the above, won't you be charged for the phone? That's what a coworker of mine was told. Needless to say, for him, the RMA process took 2 weeks. So he was phone-less for 2 weeks, which isn't bad. His RMA replacement for a new phone has a better battery life it seems.
I believe that's what he's going for. Instead of waiting for the next batch to go on sale, just start an RMA claim for a replacement phone and when it comes, don't send the old one back. That way, Google will charge you full price for the new phone, which you can just sell to the friend. I've thought of this too when I was doing my legit RMA claim.

I don't see how it wouldn't work. Maybe just frowned upon? Maybe when Google asks you why you haven't sent it back, just say that you went out of town or something and let the 21 days elapse. Worse case scenario, they charge you for the phone? Which is exactly what you want. Win win situation I'd say. Try it and let us know.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
enhanced wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 5:23 pm
I believe that's what he's going for. Instead of waiting for the next batch to go on sale, just start an RMA claim for a replacement phone and when it comes, don't send the old one back. That way, Google will charge you full price for the new phone, which you can just sell to the friend. I've thought of this too when I was doing my legit RMA claim.

I don't see how it wouldn't work. Maybe just frowned upon? Maybe when Google asks you why you haven't sent it back, just say that you went out of town or something and let the 21 days elapse. Worse case scenario, they charge you for the phone? Which is exactly what you want. Win win situation I'd say. Try it and let us know.
Hmm. True... I guess.. I won't be trying it though.

Also Poetic Bumper case drops in price to $10. Anyone have this? If so, thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AG0 ... entralb-20