• Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4410 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 2:37 pm
You're welcome. As to answer your question, look under this title in the first page, 2nd post "HOW TO PERMANENTLY HAVE LTE ENABLED WITHOUT REBOOTING THE PHONE *Special Thanks to plisk3n*"

However yes, if you reboot, you will have to enable the LTE feature again.

*Sigh* only 11 people have thanked my first two posts :( Jokes heh.
I thanked a bunch of your posts. Super useful, but can you help me with one question - is there no workaround to have LTE and Google Now working? Even with different ROMs or kernels? Kinda defeats the purpose if having LTE means sacrificing location services. Thanks!
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
Can I install the latest franco kernel under the cyanogenmod ROM?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Mar 11, 2009
708 posts
29 upvotes
lobo wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 9:12 am
So I'm getting my phone on Monday night and while I've only just started reading this thread, I'd thought I'd ask the usual question. Should I bother rooting the phone immediately vs later on once it's been populated with apps and customization? Generally I'm fine with stock Android. I haven't bothered rooting my Nexus7 tablet but I did jailbreak my iphone4 because of SBSettings. So far I haven't come across any *must have* app or feature that requires me to have full root for an Android device. That being said, would there be any detriment to rooting the phone and then just continue with the stock Jellybean? Oh and I guess OTA updates will wipe any rooting previously done?

Thanks and sorry if they sound like newbie concerns/questions.

Lobo

If you unlock your bootloader. you can root at any time easily. Unlocking bootloader will factory reset your phone. So I do it once I get a nexus device.
PSN: gns168 | Gamertag: gns168
---
Currently playing: SFV, Destiny-TTK (PS4)
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2012
1191 posts
46 upvotes
NORTH YORK
i lold at the breaking bad theme
thats a little too much..

also, is the best rom ever, aka AOKP, out for the nexus 4 yet?
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
longitude wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 5:11 pm
Can I install the latest franco kernel under the cyanogenmod ROM?
You can try. No harm. Worst case you can always revert back to the kernel that came with CM. Use Franco's kernel updater app to backup the kernel that came with CM. Then download the image or zip for Franco's latest kernel off his website (GOOGLE IT or XDA IT) and then either flash (image) using Fastboot or install (zip) using TWRP.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Sep 21, 2004
8302 posts
1842 upvotes
Calgary
IamToronto wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 5:42 pm
i lold at the breaking bad theme
thats a little too much..

also, is the best rom ever, aka AOKP, out for the nexus 4 yet?
Of course. The latest stable release was available on Jan 22 I think. Been running it on N7 for last couple days and it is silky smooth.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
New battery test. Same stock OS except franco kernel as before - R53. I was fair this time in my test with 3 hours screen on time ;)

Apr 3, 2006
620 posts
97 upvotes
Sushi Roll wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 1:39 pm
Google blows at this delivery stuff.
Quoting myself... Google still blows at order fulfillment compared to either Apple or even Amazon, but this round of Nexus 4 ordering was way less painful than 3 months ago.

Just got shipping notice on Friday after ordering on Tuesday. There weren't any strange server crashes or errors during ordering like last time. Still could use improvement but this was WAAAAAAY better than last time.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Guys, got a question to ask you all. This person is selling a Panasonic Qi Charger for $80 separately. Its from Japan as per his had and it has no warranty coverage since its from overseas. The seller also claims that it should have no problems at all, etc.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bnib-nex ... e-1274687/

That being said, is it worth the $80 without the warranty coverage - i.e . the risk? Or should I negotiate the price further down?
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote:
Feb 1st, 2013 6:09 pm
You can try. No harm. Worst case you can always revert back to the kernel that came with CM. Use Franco's kernel updater app to backup the kernel that came with CM. Then download the image or zip for Franco's latest kernel off his website (GOOGLE IT or XDA IT) and then either flash (image) using Fastboot or install (zip) using TWRP.
Franco's kernel changes the ROMdisk so it's recommended that user dirty flash ROM then flash a different kernel.
Banned
Jul 6, 2011
1284 posts
36 upvotes
Hi guys,

Need suggestion for the best free apps and how to get customized screensaver and wallpaper for the Nexus 4. Looking anything better than the stock for the following:

1. taking pictures
2. watching movies
3. e-readers
4. free text messager
5. playing mp3s
6. maps
7. wallpapers
8. etc

cheers
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
3705 posts
776 upvotes
Canada
I can help with some of those....

2. MX Player
3. Aldiko
4. Textplus
5. Google Play Music or Rocket Music Player
6. Google Maps, for navigation, consider Navfree

I also recommend Nova Launcher Prime. Very fast and I love the gestures.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
icemasta wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2013 11:02 am
Franco's kernel changes the ROMdisk so it's recommended that user dirty flash ROM then flash a different kernel.
True...
Jun 15, 2011
37823 posts
5441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
iHateShaw wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2013 1:11 pm
I can help with some of those....

3. Aldiko
4. Textplus
5. Google Play Music
6. Google Maps, for navigation, consider Navfree
+1 and to add to the list:

3) Fabrik (way better than Aldiko I find)
5) Power Amp