Cell Phones

OFFICIAL Google Nexus 4/Android 5.0 Lollipop Thread/Accessories/ETC

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote: You can't have all those drivers on your machine at once (or else it fails). Choose one and stick with it.

Only use the naked drivers though.
Dude! I told you its not a driver issue. If I CANNOT get it working on a Mac SINCE NO DRIVERS ARE REQUIRED, then clearly its not a driver issue.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1721 posts
643 upvotes
Kitchener
wilsonlam97 wrote: The microusb pins may be broken. I've fixed many Galaxy Nexus' by replacing the part and I'm sure those skills are transferable to the Nexus 4 if I had the part.
Yes, it sounds like the flex cable for the USB port is damaged or came loose. The previous owner may have taken the phone apart, or a jolt to the phone may have made it come loose. Open up the back,the pcb at the bottom is held on by double sided tape and the flex cable is just pressure fit onto the main pcb. Ensure it is still seated properly.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14958 posts
2921 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Dude! I told you its not a driver issue. If I CANNOT get it working on a Mac SINCE NO DRIVERS ARE REQUIRED, then clearly its not a driver issue.
He said one of his machines won't recognize it while it doesn't appear on any other computer.

I figured I'd try asking since there is some kind of detection.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Canada_7 wrote: Random note, but...went for dinner tonight in downtown Toronto's west end...while waiting for a table, I saw 3 other people (2 in the same group, 1 from another group) whip out a Nexus 4 all at the same time. Needless to say, I was quite shocked to see it as prior to that I had only possibly spotted one other person that I've seen personally with a Nexus 4. They were all using the phone without a case or bumper while I personally use a custom dbrand skin along with the Ringke Fusion case. It might be a common phone in Toronto but I've never noticed it, plus most of the year I'm away for school (where I primarily saw iPhones and various versions & generations of the Samsung Galaxy [mostly the S3]).

Anyway, with the 4.3 update looking to be here within the next month, I realize I need to do a few things to be able to get the OTA update. My Nexus 4 is currently: rooted, with stock 4.2.2, with .33 radio to enable LTE, using Franco Kernel's nightlies, and because of Wug's toolkit I have TWRP recovery. Can anyone clarify/tell me if I'm correct in what I need to do to get the OTA updates?

- get back the stock kernel for 4.2.2
- flash the .48 radio to have the latest radio
- I realize I have a "custom" recovery which apparently prevents the OTA update from working. After doing the above 2 steps, is it possible to just download the new 4.3 update when it comes out onto my phone's storage, then l load up the phone in recovery mode and install the update from TWRP recovery? Do I need to wipe anything or do anything else, or can I just flat out install it then?
dnyc wrote: I say no need to do what you're planning to do to get the update. XDA community are so quick at creating flasheable zips for any new updates in a matter of hours to a day. I say keep it as is and carry on.
Evil Baby wrote: I'm using my phone skinless. I never had a case on my dream->magic->milestone->nexus one but then one day my nexus one broke(I think it was cold weather as the phone was not dropped). So when I had to buy my Desire HD outright ($550) I put a bumper on that, then a smaller bumper and screen protector on my G Nexus then a very slimp bumper on my s3 which I dropped many times. I got the N4, was expecting to put a bumper on it but it felt so amazing without one. Figured it was only 300 so I'm going without a case this round. It feels so good and scary at the same time. Also no screen protector as glass feels sooooooo much better. I'll just take a bigger hit in the wallet when I go to sell it.

I don't think you have to do anything. I think when the next update comes out it should still auto flash but you'll loose your old radio and root. You'll just have to redo it.

If you're not getting the update when it comes out either wait a day or two till somebody on XDA puts out instructions of how to flash it with your radio and such or use this program to go completely back to stock.

First off its nice to see other Nexus 4 users.

That being said coming back to the OTA query, you do need to flash the stock kernel back. All files - radio/baseband, boot (kernel) all need to be stock in order for an OTA to take place. Trust me I learned the hard way when 4.2.2 was being rolled out. I was in your situation exactly and I had Franco's kernel BUT I would never get an OTA update at all, no matter what tricks I threw at it. So I tried one of those flashable zips from XDA and still no go. It messed up so many things after that. I even changed the Franco's kernel by restoring the original kernel (boot.img) and even then it wouldn't get the OTA update. I have a feeling that with Franco's kernel it tweaks something else with the system files that even when you restore back to stock, it will still won't update or will be mucked up. So trust me on this one... Its better to revert back to stock images of everything. Even with the old radio, from 4.2.2 to 4.3, it won't update. You need the current radio in order to get the update.

So I said eff it and restored it back to stock 4.2.1, wiped the cache, formatted the phone using the stock recovery then reflashed the stock 4.2.1 images and then the OTA update for 4.2.2 came. Like I said I had to learn the hard way.

Even if you use the manual method by flashing the zip from XDA, you will get an error most likely as I did too.

Please read here as to why I brought this up:

Dated Feb 13th:
djemzine wrote: EDIT: WORKED LIKE A CHARM! I SHOULD HAVE TROUBLE SHOOTED THIS METHOD BEFORE DOING OTHER TROUBLE SHOOTING TECHNIQUES. Ugh. You learn from mistakes eh?

I had to actually flash the stock image, despite hitting restore and selecting the stock image from Franco's Kernel updater app. So tip to you all, if you plan on flashing it manually or via OTA, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO FLASH YOUR STOCK KERNEL. RESTORING IT from the Franco Kernel Updater App won't do the trick 100% despite it "Restoring" it.

I also had to do a full uninstall for Root access using the SuperSu app (not needed) but might have been just the bloody kernel thing itself. Either way its fine and I am going to have to re-install TWRP and SuperSu which is not a biggy...

Glad I got the sucker working!
Someone similar in my boat:
Some tidbits to answer your other questions if you have down the road:
Canuckerr wrote: Can OP or someone explain what you should do before you update to 4.2.2? I'm going to wait for the official OTA update. I assume if you OTA, you lose root and all your files and apps?
I have the stock ROM, franco kernel, and I am rooted.
edit: also, do I need to revert back to the stock kernel before I update?

What's the difference between this voodoo app and ota rootkeeper. You guys also mention carbon, is that necessary if I use either voodoo or ota rootkeeper?

I checked the original post, but I couldn't find this information on it.
(I ideally don't want to reinstall all my apps again)
djemzine wrote: My mistake, I should have posted this up... I did posted it in the threads though.

1) If you have Franco kernel, please re-flash stock kernel aka boot.img (this can be found on the first page, 2nd post). Restoring stock kernel using Franco Kernel's updater app DOES NOT help. I had to find out the hard way as it messes with the files. So please re-flash stock kernel before you go ahead.

2) By doing so, you can now receive the OTA update. Otherwise you CANNOT

3) As for Root Access, you download Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper. Which can be found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ZWVwZXIiXQ..

4) Launch Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper and click on backup/preserve root. When you successfully update your phone via OTA, launch Voodoo's OTA rootkeeper again and click on restore root. Everything should be back to normal.

I am going to stress this out though, if it does not work - you can always a) re-install SuperSu via your custom recovery as you have when you first rooted your phone OR b) download SuperSu from the market. Either options will work. It's not that hard to root your phone again if you can't get it to work after updating via OTA. This applies to everyone, including myself.

I also stress this to all - PLEASE PATIENTLY WAIT for the OTA to hit your phone. I found out the hard way by installing the manual update zip via TWRP - failed miserably as it kept on saying fail error as below OR installing via sideloading it via ADB with the stock recovery (completely getting rid of TWRP)

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kEUj ... 222255.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7KCp ... 225020.jpg[/IMG]

Remember for any rooted user - if you muck up, there's always something called restoring a Nandroid Backup. If you have not done so previously, please do so with your custom recovery by selecting Backup and boom. This applies for BOTH CWM and TWRP. Instructions can be found over the web, YouTube, or XDA forums. Otherwise it is pretty self explanatory.

That being said PLEASE do flash the stock kernel before you do this. I had to find out the hard way and had to start back from Square 1. I.e. factory reset, un root, remove custom recovery, flashing 4.2.1 image from Google, then getting OTA for 4.2.2, re-installing apps, etc.

Also if I stress out anything in bold upper case words, please do not take it offensively. It is just advice and I am watching out for your own benefit. Or re-emphasizing a certain aspect again to make it clear, if already mentioned before. Please take it with a grain of salt.

I try my best to keep the first and second post updated with my busy work schedule :razz: So again please bare with me and sincerest apologies for not giving any clear instructions, or missing out on important information, or sounding like a ***** /being rude.

Thank you all!
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
wilsonlam97 wrote: He said one of his machines won't recognize it while it doesn't appear on any other computer.

Ya that's what I would have thought too. I had only one driver installed at a time. Even without drivers it should show in the device manager right?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote: He said one of his machines won't recognize it while it doesn't appear on any other computer.

True but it didn't work on a Mac and that means something else.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
6762 posts
2096 upvotes
djemzine, thanks for all that. Not gonna quote your post since it's fairly big. I have read on the XDA thread that covers OTA updates (here) and like you they did say Franco's Kernel may screw around with more than just the "regular" stuff so it seems that's consistent with others that have a similar issue.

A couple more questions:

Wugfresh's toolkit has a "restore stock kernel option". Would that be enough to just revert back to a regular stock kernel?

If things haven't changed, the .48 radio is the latest right (like the ones here? And there isn't like multiple versions of it or something, correct?

When I restore my nandroid backup (created one right after I unlocked bootloader and rooted), it'll be back to stock rooted and with a custom recovery right? Will that be enough to just download the zip file, copy to phone, and then flash the zip file to get the new update?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Canada_7 wrote: djemzine, thanks for all that. Not gonna quote your post since it's fairly big. I have read on the XDA thread that covers OTA updates (here) and like you they did say Franco's Kernel may screw around with more than just the "regular" stuff so it seems that's consistent with others that have a similar issue.

A couple more questions:

Wugfresh's toolkit has a "restore stock kernel option". Would that be enough to just revert back to a regular stock kernel?

If things haven't changed, the .48 radio is the latest right (like the ones here? And there isn't like multiple versions of it or something, correct?

When I restore my nandroid backup (created one right after I unlocked bootloader and rooted), it'll be back to stock rooted and with a custom recovery right? Will that be enough to just download the zip file, copy to phone, and then flash the zip file to get the new update?
You're welcome.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) If I am not mistaken the "restore stock kernel option" in Wug's Toolkit should flash the original boot.img file by downloading it from his server and then flashing it. I.e. via the command "fastboot flash boot boot.img". That being said it should be fine but I would double check to make sure. You can ask him on his XDA thread. If not, then you would have to type in that command manually via the Command Prompt but of course after downloading the stock factory images from Google https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images under "Factory Images "occam" for Nexus 4" or through my server from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j4nyz ... 1/boot.img

2) Yes, the .48 radio is the latest one for North America and again that can be downloaded from Google's website as mentioned above or through my server: http://www.mediafire.com/download/07h9l ... 700.48.img No there are no multiple versions of it.

3) If you are referring to the Nandroid backup with the stock kernel and .48 radio after the 4.2.2 update then yes YOU SHOULD be fine. I assume after unlocking the bootloader, rooting and created a Nandroid backup, you then installed Franco's kernel and flashed the older radio that supported LTE? Do note that you don't have to manually flash the 4.3 zip when its made available via XDA as it still may cause you errors. Best is to wait for the OTA to hit your phone if you're patient enough or do the Google Framework services trick which will force the OTA update.

a) Go to Settings, then Applications and then All
b) Scroll down till you find Google Services Framework.
c) Then click on it and press Force Close, then Clear Data.
d) Then either restart your phone or go back to Settings, About Phone, System Updates, and click on Check Now.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
1. Is the battery life better or worse with LTE enabled for those of you who do have it enabled? I ask this because if you are not loading stuff constantly, LTE seems to give me slightly better battery life on IP5 because of the radio going back to idle much faster.

2. If i didn't flash anything but just the franco kernel (for screen calibration purposes only), do i get the OTA by simply "restore stock kernel" in the toolkit?

Thanks for the answers.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
desidealer49 wrote: 1. Is the battery life better or worse with LTE enabled for those of you who do have it enabled? I ask this because if you are not loading stuff constantly, LTE seems to give me slightly better battery life on IP5 because of the radio going back to idle much faster.

2. If i didn't flash anything but just the franco kernel (for screen calibration purposes only), do i get the OTA by simply "restore stock kernel" in the toolkit?

Thanks for the answers.
1. I had decent battery when I had 4.2/4.2.1 and LTE enabled when I needed it. HSPA does it for me nevertheless.

2. See previous post # 3249:
1) If I am not mistaken the "restore stock kernel option" in Wug's Toolkit should flash the original boot.img file by downloading it from his server and then flashing it. I.e. via the command "fastboot flash boot boot.img". That being said it should be fine but I would double check to make sure. You can ask him on his XDA thread. If not, then you would have to type in that command manually via the Command Prompt but of course after downloading the stock factory images from Google https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images under "Factory Images "occam" for Nexus 4" or through my server from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j4...5lnz1/boot.img
Do note that I tried reflashing the boot.img and it still didn't work as like I mentioned and so has XDA, the Franco's kernel mucks up other files, so WORST CASE you MAY HAVE to start from scratch again - i.e perform wipe cache, format system, restore stock, then re lock bootloader, then unlock bootloader then root again, etc. I had to do so for me to get 4.2.1 to work properly and to get the OTA for 4.2.2
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
djemzine wrote: 1. I had decent battery when I had 4.2/4.2.1 and LTE enabled when I needed it. HSPA does it for me nevertheless.

2. See previous post # 3249:
Ah ok thanks djemzine!
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
6762 posts
2096 upvotes
djemzine wrote: You're welcome.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) If I am not mistaken the "restore stock kernel option" in Wug's Toolkit should flash the original boot.img file by downloading it from his server and then flashing it. I.e. via the command "fastboot flash boot boot.img". That being said it should be fine but I would double check to make sure. You can ask him on his XDA thread. If not, then you would have to type in that command manually via the Command Prompt but of course after downloading the stock factory images from Google https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images under "Factory Images "occam" for Nexus 4" or through my server from here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j4nyz ... 1/boot.img

2) Yes, the .48 radio is the latest one for North America and again that can be downloaded from Google's website as mentioned above or through my server: http://www.mediafire.com/download/07h9l ... 700.48.img No there are no multiple versions of it.

3) If you are referring to the Nandroid backup with the stock kernel and .48 radio after the 4.2.2 update then yes YOU SHOULD be fine. I assume after unlocking the bootloader, rooting and created a Nandroid backup, you then installed Franco's kernel and flashed the older radio that supported LTE? Do note that you don't have to manually flash the 4.3 zip when its made available via XDA as it still may cause you errors. Best is to wait for the OTA to hit your phone if you're patient enough or do the Google Framework services trick which will force the OTA update.

a) Go to Settings, then Applications and then All
b) Scroll down till you find Google Services Framework.
c) Then click on it and press Force Close, then Clear Data.
d) Then either restart your phone or go back to Settings, About Phone, System Updates, and click on Check Now.
To answer your third question, yeah. I used wugfresh's toolkit to unlock bootloader and root (which completely wipes everything on the phone if I remember correctly). Then I created a Nandroid Backup (followed those steps via a video on Yotube; this one by a guy named qbking77). Later on, about 2 weeks ago I started using Franco Kernel and reverted to radio version .33.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Canada_7 wrote: To answer your third question, yeah. I used wugfresh's toolkit to unlock bootloader and root (which completely wipes everything on the phone if I remember correctly). Then I created a Nandroid Backup (followed those steps via a video on Yotube; this one by a guy named qbking77). Later on, about 2 weeks ago I started using Franco Kernel and reverted to radio version .33.
Ah okay.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2008
2748 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
Need some assistance, can someone tell me what their network setting is for Rogers on their N4? (APN)

I'm not sure if it is due to APN setting or if it is a common thing, but my phone sometimes doesn't receive data communication until I wake up the phone from sleep mode. For example, my friend sends an message to me on WhatsApp at 2:30pm. I sometimes receive the message when the phone is asleep, but i've been observing lately and it would only show the message when I wake the phone up or use something that renders data. So if I turn on my phone and check FB at 2:40pm, I would get notification for the message for 2:30pm.

Is it happening to others as well? TIA!
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
asdisme wrote: Need some assistance, can someone tell me what their network setting is for Rogers on their N4? (APN)

I'm not sure if it is due to APN setting or if it is a common thing, but my phone sometimes doesn't receive data communication until I wake up the phone from sleep mode. For example, my friend sends an message to me on WhatsApp at 2:30pm. I sometimes receive the message when the phone is asleep, but i've been observing lately and it would only show the message when I wake the phone up or use something that renders data. So if I turn on my phone and check FB at 2:40pm, I would get notification for the message for 2:30pm.

Is it happening to others as well? TIA!
I happened to need to change my APN today on my messenger app (chomp) cause I couldn't send MMS. I wonder in your case, you set the daydream or DND mode so you wont receive any messages.

APN: Ltemobile.apn
proxy/port: not set

MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
proxy: 10.128.1.69
port: 80
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2003
7451 posts
237 upvotes
desidealer49 wrote: 2. If i didn't flash anything but just the franco kernel (for screen calibration purposes only), do i get the OTA by simply "restore stock kernel" in the toolkit?
djemzine wrote: Do note that I tried reflashing the boot.img and it still didn't work as like I mentioned and so has XDA, the Franco's kernel mucks up other files, so WORST CASE you MAY HAVE to start from scratch again - i.e perform wipe cache, format system, restore stock, then re lock bootloader, then unlock bootloader then root again, etc. I had to do so for me to get 4.2.1 to work properly and to get the OTA for 4.2.2

I was actually using Franco's kernel for the same exact reason as desidealer49 and came upon the same dilemma on wanting to receiving OTA updates. I did some research and found a tip from Franco himself:

When flashing my kernel the stock powerhal is renamed to power.msm8960.bk.so so that you can return to stock hal without needing to flash rom again. Dir is: /system/lib/hw. Just remove power.msm8960.so and remove the .bk from the backed up file, give it r/w permissions and then reboot.

Now the problem here is how to reactivate Franco's kernel again. I don't know if he meant we had to re-install his kernel again after taking OTA update or just rename the powerhal. If you guys find an answer please let us know here.
Thoughts and Prayers to the many thousands of civilians who perished from terrorists acts.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Beradon wrote: I was actually using Franco's kernel for the same exact reason as desidealer49 and came upon the same dilemma on wanting to receiving OTA updates. I did some research and found a tip from Franco himself:

When flashing my kernel the stock powerhal is renamed to power.msm8960.bk.so so that you can return to stock hal without needing to flash rom again. Dir is: /system/lib/hw. Just remove power.msm8960.so and remove the .bk from the backed up file, give it r/w permissions and then reboot.

Now the problem here is how to reactivate Franco's kernel again. I don't know if he meant we had to re-install his kernel again after taking OTA update or just rename the powerhal. If you guys find an answer please let us know here.
Agreed but those who don't know how to tweak such things may feel uncomfortable doing so. I.e. the R/W permissions part of it...
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2008
2943 posts
614 upvotes
Newmarket
i finally got it to work... just for sh*ts and giggles i decided to try a 2-into-1 USB cable that came with a USB external monitor and designed to push more power to the USB peripheral. it has two male ends that plug into two USB ports and one female end.

was able to get it recognized with this cable finally.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/sh4rd3x2rzk88n1/JXiJwGGmXQ

thx everyone for your suggestions and DJEMZINE for even taking time out to help me in person!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
jimmy-j wrote: i finally got it to work... just for sh*ts and giggles i decided to try a 2-into-1 USB cable that came with a USB external monitor and designed to push more power to the USB peripheral. it has two male ends that plug into two USB ports and one female end.

was able to get it recognized with this cable finally.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/sh4rd3x2rzk88n1/JXiJwGGmXQ

thx everyone for your suggestions and DJEMZINE for even taking time out to help me in person!
Glad to see it worked! So it was the cable that was causing the issue? Weird because the stock one didn't work but this one did. Interesting. Can you access Fastboot/ADB now?

Wait, perhaps it could be that before with any USB cable connected, enough power wasn't going, so it could only power the "charging" aspect but not the "detection by computer" aspect right? So this method you used, it a) powers the usb cable and b) allows you to use it properly. Somewhat similar for some external HDD enclosures. I have this cable and should have brought it that day lol.

You're most welcome again! Any time.
Blanka

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)