• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2015 7:55 pm
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
jdu0ng wrote: Quick question guys,

On Nexus 4, what is the ideal % range you should let your batter drain/charge up?
I've been told to not let your battery drain to 0% depletion, and not let your battery charge max to 100%.

Can someone let me know how I can optimize my battery for longer life? Thanks
You can charge it up / drain however you want. It's suggested you only put it on the charger when you want to charge the phone. Some people leave it plugged in for the entire day and that does kill the battery in the long run. However, batteries should last well over 2 years, and people would have already changed phones by then.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
jdu0ng wrote: Quick question guys,

On Nexus 4, what is the ideal % range you should let your batter drain/charge up?
I've been told to not let your battery drain to 0% depletion, and not let your battery charge max to 100%.

Can someone let me know how I can optimize my battery for longer life? Thanks
Hybrid car batteries are operated between 40 and 80 charge. I would assume that is optimal for durability. It is impractical to use a battery as it it has half the capacity.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
7180 posts
243 upvotes
will888 wrote: It is hard to pick out anything abnormal in the stats. Try a factory reset and if that doesn't fix it, then go the RMA route. OTA updates are not foolproof, my nexus 7 went into a boot loop when I received the 4.1.2 update. The way the updates work, it only replaces some system files, data files are left untouched. In the custom rom arena, it amounts to doing a dirty flash. Sometimes this can cause problems, it is hard to say. You have nothing to lose if save your apps and app data before doing a factory reset. Give it a go.
Thanks for the help Will. I don't know what the heck happened, but battery life has just jumped dramatically today. The only difference I notice is that my signal strength was very good for most of the day. I thought airplane mode was supposed to prevent the phone from looking for a signal???? But anyways, here are the stats from today which are MUCH, MUCH better.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img844/7791/vcar.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img62/1527/qy6i.png[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
The battery curve seems like it is still dominated by cell standby and phone idle. If you look at the times that you have the screen on, the slope on the battery curve should have changed. I noticed some GPS time too and it was somewhat coincident with screen on and so definitely the slope should be steeper there. For your reference, my typical usage is about 2-2.5 hours of screen time, 50-100 megs of data, 15 hours between charges, battery will be around 30-40% when it goes on the charger. I found different kernels to have measurably different levels of efficiency. Of the ones I tried so far, the kernel that comes with PAC rom is the least efficient, Franco is a better, bricked is best. There are a lot of other kernels out there that I haven't tried. I am sticking with bricked for now because of the convenience of being able to use gestures to turn on and off the screen.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
7180 posts
243 upvotes
will888 wrote: The battery curve seems like it is still dominated by cell standby and phone idle. If you look at the times that you have the screen on, the slope on the battery curve should have changed. I noticed some GPS time too and it was somewhat coincident with screen on and so definitely the slope should be steeper there. For your reference, my typical usage is about 2-2.5 hours of screen time, 50-100 megs of data, 15 hours between charges, battery will be around 30-40% when it goes on the charger. I found different kernels to have measurably different levels of efficiency. Of the ones I tried so far, the kernel that comes with PAC rom is the least efficient, Franco is a better, bricked is best. There are a lot of other kernels out there that I haven't tried. I am sticking with bricked for now because of the convenience of being able to use gestures to turn on and off the screen.
Wow, well that's still much better than what I'm getting, but this is a vast improvement and I even kept wifi on the entire time, location services and data was on as well. Also had brightness on auto. As a comparison, I was managing maybe 10-12 hours with all of those on minimal settings. Ie lowest brightness, and data turned on and off as needed, wifi off all the time.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
This is pretty much what my battery profile looks like, yours might be slightly better. Oh, you might want to edit one of your images. The notification bar shows a person name.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
7180 posts
243 upvotes
Ha, Ok, but it looks like the phone was in airplane mode or off???? for about a third of the time. What's interesting though is it seems your signal strength is pretty choppy, yet you are getting very good battery life. Anyways, I'm happy with my jump in battery life anyways... :o

Oh btw what brightness level are you using?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
will888 wrote: This is pretty much what my battery profile looks like, yours might be slightly better. Oh, you might want to edit one of your images. The notification bar shows a person name.
I know but there can be more than one of that person and she's not on RFD :razz: . Not sure if you guys are gonna look her up lol. However duly noted.
Blanka
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
neutral wrote: Ha, Ok, but it looks like the phone was in airplane mode or off???? for about a third of the time. What's interesting though is it seems your signal strength is pretty choppy, yet you are getting very good battery life anyways, I'm happy with my jump in battery life anyways... :o

Oh btw what brightness level are you using?
Lowest brightness setting. I set to auto when using it as a GPS or if I'm outdoors. Yup you are right, airplane when I'm sleeping. No one calls me at that time nor will I be using the phone. Emergency is done through landline or my work cell. So its 8 hours usually if not 7.5 hours.

Well I'm on TMobile lol.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
7180 posts
243 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Lowest brightness setting. I set to auto when using it as a GPS or if I'm outdoors. Yup you are right, airplane when I'm sleeping. No one calls me at that time nor will I be using the phone. Emergency is done through landline or my work cell. So its 8 hours usually if not 7.5 hours.

Well I'm on TMobile lol.
Ha well I'm still ticking along on the same charge. I'm on Bell, and I know they have degraded internet service in my area, and based on what I'm seeing for mobile signal, that seems less than optimal as well. I'm pretty convinced now that it's a signal strength issue. Even on your graph, it appears that when signal isn't green, the battery drains quite a bit faster.

Anyways, happy thanksgiving, even if you're stuck in T-Mobile land.. :razz:
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2043 posts
78 upvotes
Niagara area
djemzine wrote: Lowest brightness setting. I set to auto when using it as a GPS or if I'm outdoors. Yup you are right, airplane when I'm sleeping. No one calls me at that time nor will I be using the phone. Emergency is done through landline or my work cell. So its 8 hours usually if not 7.5 hours.

Well I'm on TMobile lol.
Question for you or anyone else.

Why airplane mode? Why not just turn off wifi especially if bluetooth not enabled?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
neutral wrote: Ha well I'm still ticking along on the same charge. I'm on Bell, and I know they have degraded internet service in my area, and based on what I'm seeing for mobile signal, that seems less than optimal as well. I'm pretty convinced now that it's a signal strength issue. Even on your graph, it appears that when signal isn't green, the battery drains quite a bit faster.

Anyways, happy thanksgiving, even if you're stuck in T-Mobile land.. :razz:
I always thought mobile network signal was referring to the data connection vs voice only.

Any how, not Thanksgiving for me yet :razz: Its Columbus Day, but thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
GTT1 wrote: Question for you or anyone else.

Why airplane mode? Why not just turn off wifi?
I use airplane mode so that I don't receive calls/sms during the night. Or sometimes for the phone to auto sync which I do for emails. So airplane mode prevents these things from happening. It shuts off ALL signals be it WiFi, cell reception, etc.
Blanka
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
AK kernel has been my current favorite on 4.3. Routinely get 3 (minimum) - 4.5 hours of screen time before charging (at around 30%) with a little over a day of usage. This is with all syncing on, low brightness, no Google Now, and all LTE (with WiFi usage on the off chance).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
7180 posts
243 upvotes
djemzine wrote: I always thought mobile network signal was referring to the data connection vs voice only.

Any how, not Thanksgiving for me yet :razz: Its Columbus Day, but thanks! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
You're probably right, just an assumption on my part. I wonder how much poor mobile data signal would effect battery and if there is a way to determine if my phone reception is generally good or poor? Apparently the bars can be misleading as they don't update often?
Nov 20, 2008
460 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote: If I turn the phone off and charge it, it seems to stop at 97%. If I charge with the phone on, it seems to slowly creep up to 100%, but the full charge LED comes on around 96%. I can't remember where I read it, I think there are kernels that will allow you to stop the charging before reaching 100%. Battery life improves if it is not fully charged and fully discharged.
I noticed the same. Last night I charged it without turning it off and it went to 100%. The battery app that I installed set off alarm when it reached 100% and woke me up in the middle of the night :mad:
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
This is my battery stats for today. The screen time is just under 90 minutes, talk time was 60 minutes, 214 megs of data consumed mostly from streaming about 200 minutes of google play music. I had a spurious reboot which explains the dip in power by about 10%. Google play music does not play nice with the dialer. The device is running PAC nightly, bricked kernel, under volt by 1 volt, overclocked to 1728 Mhz.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/qntsg3.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/dggy69.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2uz9f6s.png[/IMG]

@djemzine, you may want to consider using llama to control your notifications at night. Going to airplane mode is a bit too brute force. What if there are people that you would take a call from for emergency reasons. Llama allows you to put the device on silent mode at night but it also has this feature called noisy contacts which allows contacts you set to bypasses silent mode. It is a great app, ranks right up there with titanium backup.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29540 posts
20458 upvotes
leadhead wrote: I noticed the same. Last night I charged it without turning it off and it went to 100%. The battery app that I installed set off alarm when it reached 100% and woke me up in the middle of the night :mad:
Lol, battery apps cause more problems than they solve. At least that has been my experience.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
will888 wrote: @djemzine, you may want to consider using llama to control your notifications at night. Going to airplane mode is a bit too brute force.
Like djemzine mentioned, he doesn't anticipate any calls or want to use his phone. I've always turned my phone off before going to sleep.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
Well now my phone is finally at 14% with the low battery warning. 2d 9h 48m 30s on battery with 20% screen usage and an on time of 2h 22m 40s.
Blanka

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)