Cell Phones

The Official Google Pixel 4/4 XL Thread - October 15 @ 10AM EST Announcement

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2022 8:50 am
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2490 upvotes
mcg wrote: So far I've had the phone for around 2 weeks and aside from the screen tint issue it's pleasant.

Battery life is good, not great, but enough to get me through the day.

Some quick comparisons vs. Pixel 3 XL

Call quality: 4 > 3
Screen: 4 > 3
Multitasking 4 >> 3
Camera 4 < 3 - they removed HDR+ manual control for the P4... really stupid, you have to grab CameraPX from cstark (modded Gcam) to get it back - white balance is also off on HDR+ forced; also loss of autofocus and super wide angle portrait lens sucks;
Speakers: 4 > 3 (loud, clear, also no vibrations of the device at high volumes)
Build : 4 > 3 (subjective)
Easier to hold: 4 > 3 - narrower device, easier to one hand - but the 4 is slightly heavier and "thicker"

90hz screen is awesome and I don't use Soli so that is disabled. Honestly a gimmick, even if it works well...
But reviewers still say the camera in the 4 is better than the 3 so maybe qualitywise?
Deal Guru
Jul 5, 2001
10109 posts
12727 upvotes
Toronto
Mayoo wrote: Wow !!! BMO App is using face Unlock API to authenticate in Pixel 4 XL !!! Good job BMO !!!!
Impressive. Waiting for Tangerine.
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
768 upvotes
Google Pixel’s camera lead quits after the failure of the Pixel 4

"Following the poor reception of the Pixel 4 and 'rare internal criticism' of the phone, two top executives left the Pixel team.

Pixel general manager Mario Queiroz and 'the mastermind behind Google's Pixel camera,' Marc Levoy, have both left the Pixel team in the past year. Both Queiroz and Levoy have been visible members of the Pixel team at launch events, where they usually give lengthy presentations about the new features....

The Pixel 4 has not been a huge success. It has sold less than the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a in its first two quarters. Osterloh was not confident about the device in the lead-up to launch, either. The report says that 'ahead of the [Pixel 4] October launch in New York,' Osterloh called an all-hands meeting and shared his misgivings about the phone. He reportedly 'did not agree with some of the decisions made about the phone" and that 'in particular, he was disappointed in its battery power.'"
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
Now that the P4 have been on the market for a while, how's the face unlock feature? Is it fast and accurate like the iPhones?
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
2541 posts
2315 upvotes
Pickering
Sgt_Strider wrote: Now that the P4 have been on the market for a while, how's the face unlock feature? Is it fast and accurate like the iPhones?

Yes. Pretty much on par.
CTC employee
Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $75/60GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $40/20GB + $40/50GB/BYOD
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
2541 posts
2315 upvotes
Pickering
Sgt_Strider wrote: How are you so sure?

Because I own both a Pixel 4 XL (actually, few of them in the past year), and I've also had several modern iPhone's, including the latest Pro Max.
CTC employee
Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $75/60GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $40/20GB + $40/50GB/BYOD

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)