Cell Phones

[Official] Google Pixel & Pixel XL Thread (Announced Oct. 4, 2016)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2017 4:37 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3917 posts
2186 upvotes
Toronto
Finally the OTA Update is available :)

The download was only two minutes; the updating took a whopping 3 hours!!!!!!! Don't know what was wrong with my phone...but finally updated.
Last edited by DJ Trance AZ on Nov 9th, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, ON
darkcloud8282 wrote: Most reviews don't actually go into depth on their testing and just reiterate how great the phone is.
or not so great. Sometimes I feel like the reviewers are just lazy and basically copy one another. At the same time, how many different ways can somebody complain about no waterproofing, or say how the screen looks.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, ON
spiralspirit wrote:
If you read between the lines, reviews for this phone are all about expectations. People expected (not sure why) for this phone to be cheaper, and it isn't. Because of that even though it has a great screen, great battery life, great software, etc, it's still controversial.

There's no question its a great phone. The question is if its a great phone at $1000.
Yeah I know. The truth is, I really don't know if it is or isn't worth more than the last Nexus or a S7 or a One+ 3 or as much as an iPhone 7+.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
spiralspirit wrote:
If you read between the lines, reviews for this phone are all about expectations. People expected (not sure why) for this phone to be cheaper, and it isn't. Because of that even though it has a great screen, great battery life, great software, etc, it's still controversial.

There's no question its a great phone. The question is if its a great phone at $1000.
Yeah I know. The truth is, I really don't know if it is or isn't worth more than the last Nexus or a S7 or a One+ 3 or as much as an iPhone 7+.
The question of "is it worth...?" is always a personal one. if you have $1000 to throw away its worth it. If you want the bells and whistles on the samsung, you can get that for around the same price or a little cheaper.

If you think saving $300-400 is worth one year less support, you can buy a 6P. If you think saving more money is worth even more hassle, you can get a one+.

But those are all personal questions. Nobody can answer them for you. They can only present the facts to you.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
4250 posts
460 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote: If you read between the lines, reviews for this phone are all about expectations. People expected (not sure why) for this phone to be cheaper, and it isn't. Because of that even though it has a great screen, great battery life, great software, etc, it's still controversial.

To be honest, I'm still not sure if i'm going to keep or sell my 32GB XL so it's still sitting in the box unopened.

Right now I have the Nexus 6 (not 6P) and I really like the massive screen on it, battery life is really good (I do like the screen not eye poppingly bright like others) and it still seems quick enough. Seems like phones are approaching desktop computer status for me where I just don't feel the need to upgrade anymore.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2010
1033 posts
391 upvotes
Anyone who has experience with both can judge whether they preferred the S7 or the pixel?
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Aznsilvrboy wrote: The Google Pixel has a scary vulnerability that could compromise all your data
http://www.gsmarena.com/the_google_pixe ... -21599.php
Which will be fixed soon enough. It was at hacking event so there were quite a number of others who were hacked for money by white hat hackers.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
4239 posts
552 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know where I can purchase this Pixel XL 32GB (silver) outright?

Most stores only sell on contract and Google Store has been OOS since forever :(
Nov 14, 2016
1 posts
The camera is impressed me most. MobileTrans is the right way to copy sms from iPhone to Pixel. I found it is the only way for iPhone to Android, including the iMessages on iPhone.
Last edited by honxrv15 on Nov 15th, 2016 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 17, 2009
564 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
Can anyone tell me if the Google store is Canadian currency?
The price for a Pixel XL 128gb for $1179. That is CAD without tax correct?
Just trying to gauge the kijiji prices compared to buying from Google.

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5369 upvotes
hshot_rooke wrote: Can anyone tell me if the Google store is Canadian currency?

Thanks.
Be careful about buying expensive phones on kijiji, search for "blacklist"
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
hshot_rooke wrote: Can anyone tell me if the Google store is Canadian currency?

Thanks.
Correct, the Canadian Google Store is in CAD. $1179 is the price for a 128GB Pixel XL.
May 9, 2010
433 posts
264 upvotes
Ottawa
Seeking your input.. I ordered a pixel 128gb through smartcell but they're telling me it's oos and won't be available until end of December or early January. They do have 32gb in stock or other products such as Samsung s7. Should I settle for the s7 or pixel? I was really hoping to get my new phone before Xmas so I can snap pictures during the holidays (my htc m8 is probably the worst camera I've ever seen on a smartphone).

Any thoughts that could help me make my decision would be appreciated!
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4657 posts
1385 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Aznsilvrboy wrote: The Google Pixel has a scary vulnerability that could compromise all your data
http://www.gsmarena.com/the_google_pixe ... -21599.php
Exactly, get a DTEK60, same specs, way cheaper and Security features offered by DTEK that make it the most secure mobile phone on Earth!
DTEK has locked down Android hacks still available on all other android devices, including Pixel which was recently hacked with ease and rooted. None of Blackberry's Android have been touched.

Hardened Linux Kernel: We reduce the Android attack surface with numerous patches and configuration changes to improve security.

Hardware Root of Trust: During manufacturing, we establish a Hardware Root of Trust that adds security keys to the processor on every Priv, DTEK50 and DTEK60 as it is built. Those keys track, verify, and provision each device – meaning that the authenticity and integrity of your device is guaranteed, as is the safety of the data it holds.

A Better Bootloader: Because of our secure boot process, you can trust that only an untampered, BlackBerry-signed OS can be loaded. Each stage of the secure boot chain must first verify that the next component is fully intact before proceeding.
FIPS 140-2 Compliant Full Disk Encryption: U.S. Government-grade encryption protects your private information, like personal pictures or banking info, if your phone is lost or stolen.

Ongoing Security Patching: Many popular smartphones put the user's private information at risk of being hacked due to slow security updates – weeks, months, or even years after a patch is released. BlackBerry's record of being the quickest to deliver Android security patches minimizes your vulnerability.

BlackBerry Integrity Detection (BID): We continuously monitor Priv, DTEK50 and DTEK60 for events or configuration changes that indicate a compromise to device security, then we trigger real-time actions if a threat is detected.

Dedicated Security Research & Response Teams: We bring our world-renowned security experts and testing to our line of BlackBerry secure smartphones powered by Android.

http://www.zdnet.com/product/blackberry-dtek60/

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-dtek60-review
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes
Wonder if there will be any Black Friday deal for the Pixel (no contract). I doubt it, since it was just released, but anything to shave off from the $900 would be helpful.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
Sketchydrifter wrote: Seeking your input.. I ordered a pixel 128gb through smartcell but they're telling me it's oos and won't be available until end of December or early January. They do have 32gb in stock or other products such as Samsung s7. Should I settle for the s7 or pixel? I was really hoping to get my new phone before Xmas so I can snap pictures during the holidays (my htc m8 is probably the worst camera I've ever seen on a smartphone).

Any thoughts that could help me make my decision would be appreciated!
I wouldn't settle for anything other than a Pixel. The camera is unbeatable (better than the S7) and new features/updates right away are important to me.

32GB is what I went with, with the unlimited cloud storage for photos I really don't keep anything other than apps on the phone. Depends on what you do with the phone I guess; if you keep a lot of media on your phone you may need the extra space.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2828 posts
989 upvotes
GTA
I switched to the pixel XL. Wasn't going to switch but i was going through warranty with google with my nexus 6p. they are currently out of stock of the 6p's offered me a full refund that i had for 11 months. No brainer to switch.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone know if the Pixel (XL) phones can be bought outright with Google warranty at the new Google Shops in Best Buy? The website only shows on contract
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
Best Buy opened up a Google Shop, but yet has to stock the Pixel XL 128 gigs.

I had a reservation since Oct 12th for a Rogers 128 XL Black.

One month after launch, Best Buy hasn't got any stock yet.

What a Joke.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)