Cell Phones

[Official] Google Pixel & Pixel XL Thread (Announced Oct. 4, 2016)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2017 4:37 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Nook wrote:
Winkle wrote:
thechampion116 wrote:

Same boat. Just dropped my phone and half the of the Nexus 5 screen is shattered. Still usable but don't want to buy something until the full picture is available on phones for the year especially with other interesting options like the Axon 7 and Zenfone 3.
Based on historical releases of Nexus 4, 5, 6, 5X and 6P, Google's followed a trend of releasing their Nexus phones either 1 day after announcement/unveiling to as much as 2 weeks. For the Pixel and Pixel XL, I would expect 2 weeks between unveiling and release/shipping.

Keep in mind the "flagship" pricing of $649 is in USD, it is also the starting price of the regular iPhone 7... and that one is selling for $899 in Canada so we're looking at a minimum of $850 CAD to $900 CAD for the Pixel XL here.
That would be costlier than the S7 Edge. I don't know if Google is that ballsy.
As long as the Pixel XL doesn't explode, they'll be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Winkle wrote:
thechampion116 wrote:
Nook wrote:

Based on history, is the unveil late the same (or close to) as the release date?

I've cracked my phone screen and was wondering whether I should just grab the S7 now if the new Google phones won't be released until 2017.
Same boat. Just dropped my phone and half the of the Nexus 5 screen is shattered. Still usable but don't want to buy something until the full picture is available on phones for the year especially with other interesting options like the Axon 7 and Zenfone 3.
Based on historical releases of Nexus 4, 5, 6, 5X and 6P, Google's followed a trend of releasing their Nexus phones either 1 day after announcement/unveiling to as much as 2 weeks. For the Pixel and Pixel XL, I would expect 2 weeks between unveiling and release/shipping.

Keep in mind the "flagship" pricing of $649 is in USD, it is also the starting price of the regular iPhone 7... and that one is selling for $899 in Canada so we're looking at a minimum of $850 CAD to $900 CAD for the Pixel XL here.
Nook wrote:
Winkle wrote:
thechampion116 wrote:

That would be costlier than the S7 Edge. I don't know if Google is that ballsy.
According to the Android Police writer on Twitter today, $649 USD is the starting price of the Pixel (not XL). According to him, the source is fairly reliable. I'm going to be keeping an eye out to pick up a Nexus 5X on the cheap. Doesn't sound like the Pixel will be worth it. Either that or I'll just switch to iOS/an iPhone 6/6s because the resale value is very good. I'm not sure how Google is going to justify the price but I guess I can wait a couple more weeks to be proven wrong. I was hoping for $550 CAD max for the 32 GB 5" Pixel.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/19 ... available/
Last edited by dealseaker101 on Sep 19th, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
New real life photos, this time in white and silver:
Edit: "The images show both phones in the aluminum finish, which does look very light above. I think that's down to the harsh lighting. The top of the rear panel is clearly lighter and smoother (it's glass). " (http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/19 ... l-xl-leak/)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Pixel Phone featured in Nest commercial (seen at the 9 seconds and 18 seconds mark):

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Something new to love on Oct. 4. Get in the know at google.com/tenfour
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
tk1000 wrote: Something new to love on Oct. 4. Get in the know at google.com/tenfour

Looks like a tablet morphing into a phone. So they're going to reveal the Huawei Tablet and Pixel phones I guess.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
781 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote: New real life photos, this time in white and silver:
Edit: "The images show both phones in the aluminum finish, which does look very light above. I think that's down to the harsh lighting. The top of the rear panel is clearly lighter and smoother (it's glass). " (http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/19 ... l-xl-leak/)

Helloiphonewithtoomuchbezels
Nov 7, 2013
601 posts
189 upvotes
the 604
on the back panel:

flash, camera ... any guesses abt those three dots?
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
AMRadio wrote: on the back panel:

flash, camera ... any guesses abt those three dots?
Probably microphones. One for video recording, one for noise cancellation but not sure about the 3rd.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1862 posts
882 upvotes
Markham
tk1000 wrote: Something new to love on Oct. 4. Get in the know at google.com/tenfour

Give me my 30 secs back please.
RTX 4090 FE & 5800X3D
Oct 9, 2011
733 posts
765 upvotes
EAST YORK
If this is actually going to be $649 USD for the Pixel (nevermind the Pixel XL), then Google's lost me as a customer (and I would say a lot more people). What was attractive about the Nexus phones, aside from the pure Android experience, was the amazing price point/value for money. Google's moved away from that, and I'm just not interested in more. You can spend a little bit more money and get a better phone from Apple or Samsung.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Sure, if you don't want a headphone jack, or like getting blown up by exploding batteries
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
dealseaker101 wrote: New real life photos, this time in white and silver:
John Gruber on this leak
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/0 ... ogle-pixel

iPhone 7 form factor largely resembles iPhone 6: terrible, Apple has lost its edge.

Google Pixel form factor largely resembles iPhone 6: crickets.

:lol:
Nov 24, 2003
423 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
If the pixel really is $649 US, it makes the Oneplus3 or ZTE Axon 7 seem really attractive.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6493 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
myinglin0318 wrote:

Give me my 30 secs back please.
It was a horrible commercial.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Dec 20, 2012
728 posts
120 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The damn chin on this thing is bigger then Jay Leno's chin... :troll:
Fido $45
Unlimited Canada Calling, Unlimited Global Texting/MMS, 5GB Data
Twilight 128GB Hauwei P20 Pro
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Well the good news is the 6P will probably drop in price :)
Steam: SpectralMeat

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)