[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10876 posts
1303 upvotes
Brampton
Col127 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2008 3:43 pm
great, thanks for checking for me. my fiancee and i like the red/brown in the merlot. ti's very unique. oh, $6.25 is for 3.25." we were quoted $5.50 for 2.5." both is for traditional, not select & better.

would you know where i could get the mirage maple merlot select & better for less than $6.25?? :)

i don't need the best flooring, i want good quality though... i just like that maple merlot a heck of a lot.

a guy from frontier flooring told me mirage and vintage made the best wood flooring.
Did you try Darmaga or Stan's Flooring for Mirage?

BTW, were not able to get any more info on Three Towers. My contact knows that they are out there in the market but had nothing good/or bad to say.
Oct 8, 2002
609 posts
16 upvotes
Mississauga
patrob wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2008 12:06 am
Vintage for $3.70 sq. ft., is that for pre-finished :?: That sounds too good of a deal to me but for sure it will not be the Estate grade. More like Vintage grade or probably Character/Ranch which is very colourfull, so if you are a picky person & like a nice & even colour, you may want to stay away :lol:

All you need to add to your existing OSB is 1/4" multiply, no need to go 1/2". Make sure you re-screw your sub-floors before you add the plywood.

How large is the area that you want to install with the joists? What kind of joists do you have 2 x 10 or TGI? If you want to install with the joists, install second layer of 1/2" or thicker plywood, cross pattern existing plywood. Glue & screws. Make sure you hit the joists through both ply's.
It is vintage but I got my prices mixed up, I think it might have been in the $5/sqft range.

We have 2x8 joists but today when I was removing the old floor and subfloor, so far the joists are 12" oc, not 16" :) so that should help. The area is about 200 sqft.
What size screws should be used to reinforce the old 5/8" subfloor and the second layer of ply?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10876 posts
1303 upvotes
Brampton
Quick_lude wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2008 6:51 pm
It is vintage but I got my prices mixed up, I think it might have been in the $5/sqft range.

We have 2x8 joists but today when I was removing the old floor and subfloor, so far the joists are 12" oc, not 16" :) so that should help. The area is about 200 sqft.
What size screws should be used to reinforce the old 5/8" subfloor and the second layer of ply?
Depends on the thickness of the additional ply. Use screws that will go 3/4 of the length into the joist. So more likely you need 2 1/2" sub-floor screws. Just do not use drywall screws :!:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10876 posts
1303 upvotes
Brampton
Quick_lude wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2008 6:51 pm
What species & colour is it? You should post some pics after you are done :)
May 29, 2003
461 posts
48 upvotes
Aurora
Hi Patrob,

Thanks for answering all of these hardwood questions! I have Brazilian Walnut hardwood with aluminum oxide coating that I will be installing in my kitchen/hallway. How is the durability of this wood for a high traffic area?
Thanks!
Cheryl
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10876 posts
1303 upvotes
Brampton
canuckgirl wrote:
Jan 26th, 2008 10:13 pm
Hi Patrob,

Thanks for answering all of these hardwood questions! I have Brazilian Walnut hardwood with aluminum oxide coating that I will be installing in my kitchen/hallway. How is the durability of this wood for a high traffic area?
Thanks!
Cheryl
You've chosen the hardest wood on the hardness scale & aluminum oxide is considered one of the best finishes. Who's the manufacturer? And who will be installing it, because it's very tricky to install due to it's hardness.

Even though the finish is aluminum oxide & if you are saying it will be a high traffic area, it will still wear over time as any other finish. You have to protect it with small area rugs by the sink especially. We all know it's doesn't look the greatest but manufacturers cover themselves telling you the same thing in case of warranty complaints.

Overall it's a beautiful wood :)
Jul 31, 2005
39 posts
Great thread. I am looking for a little advice and hope someone can help. I am about to install hardwood on the main floor of my house. I already have the wood and I have noticed there is a bit more colour variation between planks than I would have expected. The wood is red oak with a natrual finish. Hence, my question is: Am I better to randomize the different colors throughout the floor or try to organize them together and gradually transition the shade aross the room? Which will look better in the end? Thanks in advance.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10876 posts
1303 upvotes
Brampton
csdh wrote:
Jan 27th, 2008 3:23 pm
Great thread. I am looking for a little advice and hope someone can help. I am about to install hardwood on the main floor of my house. I already have the wood and I have noticed there is a bit more colour variation between planks than I would have expected. The wood is red oak with a natrual finish. Hence, my question is: Am I better to randomize the different colors throughout the floor or try to organize them together and gradually transition the shade aross the room? Which will look better in the end? Thanks in advance.
You have to mix it all together, otherwise you end up with spots of diff. shades. Unless you have enough wood to pick out the miscoloured boards & install it in a separate location & you won't mind the two diff. colour tones.

BTW, who's the manufacturer :?:
Jul 31, 2005
39 posts
Ok. Thanks, that is what I thought and will actually make it easier to install. I believe the manufacturer is Imperial. It is from Brampton Hardwood and it was not that expensive, so I probably got what I paid for. That said, the grade is Select and Better and I thought it would have been more consistant. I have only opened one box so far so we will see if it is typical...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10876 posts
1303 upvotes
Brampton
csdh wrote:
Jan 27th, 2008 4:11 pm
Ok. Thanks, that is what I thought and will actually make it easier to install. I believe the manufacturer is Imperial. It is from Brampton Hardwood and it was not that expensive, so I probably got what I paid for. That said, the grade is Select and Better and I thought it would have been more consistant. I have only opened one box so far so we will see if it is typical...
Imperial, St. Lawrence, Mercier (pretty much everything that Brampton Flooring sells) has high variations of colours. That's why they can offer lower prices to consumers but you do get what you pay for.

Usually Select & Better is called for a reason, so your colour variation should be a lot lower vs. other higher end manufacturers :idea:

May I ask what you paid for the wood :?:
Jul 31, 2005
39 posts
I am not really that surpised. The only thing that irks me is the wood they have on display looks pretty uniform. I believe it was $4.19 sq/ft. It was a concious decision to not spend more money on the big names so I can't really complain. It will still look a lot better than the grundgy old carpet...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10876 posts
1303 upvotes
Brampton
csdh wrote:
Jan 27th, 2008 4:42 pm
I am not really that surpised. The only thing that irks me is the wood they have on display looks pretty uniform. I believe it was $4.19 sq/ft. It was a concious decision to not spend more money on the big names so I can't really complain. It will still look a lot better than the grundgy old carpet...
Sure it will still look nice, especially when you had the old carpets before :)

Very rarely the stores install on their samples everything that comes out of the box & they pre- select the nicer boards just to sell the product. Especially at Brampton Flooring, their samples look quite beautiful but are not in reality :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1758 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga
great thread :)

my question is about maintenance/cleaning of hardwood flooring...

we have dark espresso maple throughout the main floor - and I have a really tough time keeping it clean...it shows every speck of dust and streaks...right now i use a routine of vacuuming and then running a slightly damp mop over it...but its not working so well :(

what do you recommend for cleaning hardwood flooring? is it worthwhile to invest in the "Bona" floor cleaning system that i saw in last months' house and home magazine? or is there a cheaper alternative that will do the job well...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10876 posts
1303 upvotes
Brampton
jandumm wrote:
Jan 28th, 2008 9:58 am
great thread :)

my question is about maintenance/cleaning of hardwood flooring...

we have dark espresso maple throughout the main floor - and I have a really tough time keeping it clean...it shows every speck of dust and streaks...right now i use a routine of vacuuming and then running a slightly damp mop over it...but its not working so well :(

what do you recommend for cleaning hardwood flooring? is it worthwhile to invest in the "Bona" floor cleaning system that i saw in last months' house and home magazine? or is there a cheaper alternative that will do the job well...
Any hardwood flooring store will carry a professional cleaning kit for hardwood floors with a spray solution. They work quite well & you just spray it on the cloth, not on the floor. Since you invested so much money into your hardwood floors, spending those few more bucks on the kit will be a great investment.
Nov 7, 2006
20 posts
Fantastic thread patrob! I've read all 11 pages. :)

A few questions sir:
1) I'm looking at installing an engineered hardwood in a condo. Do you have any brands (and stores which sell those brands) which you would recommend? Oh, did I mention I'm poor? :) I'm looking for best bang for the buck!
2) As a preferred underlay, what should I go with? Do you like the foam stuff or cork?
3) I've installed solid hardwood in homes a few times - but never the engineered stuff in a condo. Is there anything I should consider for this particular product? I know the installation is different (floating and glued), but any tips?

Thanks for your time patrob!

spin

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)