Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2005
1258 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
cxcr wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2009 1:56 pm
Hi Free Willy,

I tried to upload a picture but have not figured out how to do so.

Well, a lot planks have very dark spots/lines/clouds. Just like Patrob said you got what you paid for. However, dark stain may be able to cover these.

Other than the colour variation, some planks have big dark hole on the back.
Thank you for the info. We've decided not to go with Wickham. =)
patrob wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2009 7:57 pm
I took a look at the inspiration pic again & the stairs look fully carpeted. The part of the railing looks like a mini wall following the stairs with mouldings & railings are installed on it. So for this, you will not have to re-cap your stairs. But remove the railings, build up the railing side, re-install the railings/pickets & paint it. The price for wood sounds ok.
Sorry for all the questions, Patrob. We're still deciding which direction we want to go in and appreciate your patience. As of now, we're leaning towards all hardwood stairs. If we end up going this route, should we install the floors or the stairs first? We're going to be getting different companies to do the separate projects.

Also, we dropped by Darmaga and the sales rep we spoke to didn't seem too impressed with Mirage's "Exclusive" grade. He suggested Superior instead. How does Mirage's "Exclusive" compare to Superior's "Select" and "Select & Better"?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
Matrix_dot_ca wrote:
Aug 25th, 2009 2:14 pm
hi Patrob,

I am planning on installing a 230sqft of laminate into the basement. I am planning to use Costco's Golden Select laminate and use delta-fl as underlay. Would this be ok? Is there a laminate that is good for basement?
Any laminate is fine for the basement. The Delta underlay will probably come out more than the laminate...
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
RabidRabbit wrote:
Aug 25th, 2009 2:51 pm
Is it normal for a newish hardwood floor (about four or five months old, but house has only been lived in for a month) to be somewhat creaky? It is hardwood that has been nailed down to a 3/4" plywood subfloor.

I find in the morning it is quite creaky, after you walk on it a bit, it tends to quieten down. I did not notice this so much when it was very hot and humid outside a few weeks ago, but now it is cooler and normal humidity.

Thanks
That's pretty much normal, that's the beauty of wood. It will go away after time. It might have been installed too close to the wall & it's rubbing against wall or baseboard.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
konax wrote:
Aug 25th, 2009 5:47 pm
Hi Patrob,

I have this freshly built unit with engineered hardwood floor. Can you please suggest what should be used for cleaning the floor - dry and wet alternatives? Frequency of cleaning with normal usage (no pets, no golf shoes etc).

PS: I don't know the contractor who built the floor, so I can't ask anyone about the recommended cleaning product.

TIA!!!!
Here you go http://www.vintageflooring.com/ecommerc ... php?id=178

You can order it online directly from Vintage & they ship it to your house :) Make sure you spray the cleaning solution on the cotton cloth, not directly on the floors! For dry alternative vacuum or dry swiffer.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
Free Willy wrote:
Aug 25th, 2009 8:37 pm
Sorry for all the questions, Patrob. We're still deciding which direction we want to go in and appreciate your patience. As of now, we're leaning towards all hardwood stairs. If we end up going this route, should we install the floors or the stairs first? We're going to be getting different companies to do the separate projects.

Also, we dropped by Darmaga and the sales rep we spoke to didn't seem too impressed with Mirage's "Exclusive" grade. He suggested Superior instead. How does Mirage's "Exclusive" compare to Superior's "Select" and "Select & Better"?
Of course they are pushing Superior because they have a bigger mark up on it :rolleyes: Mirage quality/milling in any grade would be better than Superior. Apparently Superior uses water based finish, which is not as strong & therefore shows damage a lot easier. But we also noticed lately that Mirage uses a lot more short pieces.

If you will re-cap your stairs, do it before the hardwood installation. It's a lot of mess with preparation.
Jul 20, 2003
916 posts
46 upvotes
Surrey
patrob wrote:
Aug 25th, 2009 10:44 pm
Any laminate is fine for the basement. The Delta underlay will probably come out more than the laminate...
what would you recommend as underlay for basement flooring? Laminate over concrete would be too cold, right?
Feb 5, 2009
254 posts
patrob wrote:
Aug 25th, 2009 10:46 pm
That's pretty much normal, that's the beauty of wood. It will go away after time. It might have been installed too close to the wall & it's rubbing against wall or baseboard.
Ok, thank you

I'll give it six months or so and see if anything changes before taking any action.
Oct 15, 2007
93 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi patrob,

I guess your the flooring guru here. :D I just purchased a home and the builder is going to install 2 1/4 x 3/4 oak hardwood Natural Finish in the main floor. Since it is a natural finish the builder told us that to stain the floor would be considered an upgrade. They will have to stain the floor as well as the staircase as it is also oak. I'm just curious if this upgrade is expensive or not. Is it better to get someone sles to do it rather than the builder?

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
Matrix_dot_ca wrote:
Aug 26th, 2009 12:20 am
what would you recommend as underlay for basement flooring? Laminate over concrete would be too cold, right?
You can use 6mm cork under the laminate to make it feel warmer.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
enjoku wrote:
Aug 26th, 2009 3:17 am
Hi patrob,

I guess your the flooring guru here. :D I just purchased a home and the builder is going to install 2 1/4 x 3/4 oak hardwood Natural Finish in the main floor. Since it is a natural finish the builder told us that to stain the floor would be considered an upgrade. They will have to stain the floor as well as the staircase as it is also oak. I'm just curious if this upgrade is expensive or not. Is it better to get someone sles to do it rather than the builder?

Thanks
I guess I am :cheesygri

If your standard floor is natural, the stain will be an upgrade. Find out what they will charge you but you don't have much choice because if you don't take it, they will install the natural hardwood. It's one of those upgrades that you have to pay for unless you take credit for the floors & do it after but that credit might not be worth very much (if they even agree). But the stairs stain def. upgrade through the builder.
Jul 20, 2003
916 posts
46 upvotes
Surrey
patrob wrote:
Aug 26th, 2009 1:20 pm
You can use 6mm cork under the laminate to make it feel warmer.
Sorry if i got tons of questions. Can moisture get trapped on cork though? How much is the price per sqft on it. I got quoted $1 per sqft on delta FL.
Jul 20, 2003
916 posts
46 upvotes
Surrey
seems that the cork is cheaper than delta fl. I got quoted $0.70 /sqft. BUt i still need to know if i have to put a moisture barrier or directly on concrete.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
Matrix_dot_ca wrote:
Aug 26th, 2009 6:40 pm
Sorry if i got tons of questions. Can moisture get trapped on cork though? How much is the price per sqft on it. I got quoted $1 per sqft on delta FL.
Matrix_dot_ca wrote:
Aug 26th, 2009 7:38 pm
seems that the cork is cheaper than delta fl. I got quoted $0.70 /sqft. BUt i still need to know if i have to put a moisture barrier or directly on concrete.
I thought the DeltaFL would be more $, then you can go with the Delta. Delta is a heavy moisture barrier & works really well but you will still need underlay under the laminate. Cork is more for cushion/sound, not a moisture barrier.
Jul 20, 2003
916 posts
46 upvotes
Surrey
patrob wrote:
Aug 26th, 2009 8:46 pm
I thought the DeltaFL would be more $, then you can go with the Delta. Delta is a heavy moisture barrier & works really well but you will still need underlay under the laminate. Cork is more for cushion/sound, not a moisture barrier.
The Golden select laminate has the underlay attached on the back of it. So Delta Fl>foam underlay>laminate.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
Matrix_dot_ca wrote:
Aug 26th, 2009 8:56 pm
The Golden select laminate has the underlay attached on the back of it. So Delta Fl>foam underlay>laminate.
A lot of people are complaining about the built-in underlays in laminates, so I would spend few extra pennies & get additional foam underlay.
Yes, Delta Fl>foam underlay>laminate.