Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10077 posts
952 upvotes
Brampton
remmuh wrote:
Aug 31st, 2009 2:01 pm
Hi,

I just moved into a place with hardwood in all rooms except the kitchen.
I would like to maybe put a protective layer of varnish on the floors before I move in, as this would probably be the best time to do it.

My question is, if the floor is already finished, would I need to lightly sand it first?
I've been looking at products and what is the difference between Minwax and Varathane floor finishes?
Do they make a difference?
Is Varathane Nano Defence worth it?
Or maybe there is another alternative which would work better?

Thanks in advance.
You have to do a light sand & apply finish & it's called screen & coat. If it's pre-finished wood & the bevel is a little bit deeper, you have a higher tendency of the new finish peeling off in that beveled area. If the floor is finished on site, a simple screen & coat is all you need. Nano finish is supposed to be stronger & a lot of finishes have Nano added. But at the same time you lose the clarity of the finish (looks more milky).
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
1402 posts
10 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Aug 31st, 2009 10:36 pm
You have to do a light sand & apply finish & it's called screen & coat. If it's pre-finished wood & the bevel is a little bit deeper, you have a higher tendency of the new finish peeling off in that beveled area. If the floor is finished on site, a simple screen & coat is all you need. Nano finish is supposed to be stronger & a lot of finishes have Nano added. But at the same time you lose the clarity of the finish (looks more milky).
THanks!
Do you recommend a certain product to use as a finish?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10077 posts
952 upvotes
Brampton
remmuh wrote:
Sep 1st, 2009 4:41 pm
THanks!
Do you recommend a certain product to use as a finish?
For staircases we usually use Varathane but for floors, it's better if you ask a floor re-finisher.
24 posts
Hi there,

I was looking at installing hardwood in a great room in my home. The one concern I have is that one side of the room (about a 1/4 of the room) has skylights and gets a great deal of sun. The other side of the room, although it has many windows, gets signifigantly less sunlight. I am worried about the floor on one side of the room fading or changing signifigantly in relation to the other side when it is the same flooring.
Is there a particular species of wood, or finish that would stand up to this type of situation than others?

Thanks in advance.
Sep 1, 2009
31 posts
1 upvote
Hi Patrob. I am new to RFD, and have spent the last hour going through this entire thread. I can't believe that it has been going for close to 2 years. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Now for my question - we are taking possession of a house in Thornhill mid-September and want to refinish the hardwood floors on the main floor before we actually move in. Can you give us the names of a couple of good refinishers in the area? I had one person come in with a quote of $2/ sq foot including sanding, staining and 2 coats of polyurethane. Is this reasonable or below market? Does the quarter round need to come up when the floors are being redone?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10077 posts
952 upvotes
Brampton
corkercoon wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2009 3:38 pm
Hi there,

I was looking at installing hardwood in a great room in my home. The one concern I have is that one side of the room (about a 1/4 of the room) has skylights and gets a great deal of sun. The other side of the room, although it has many windows, gets signifigantly less sunlight. I am worried about the floor on one side of the room fading or changing signifigantly in relation to the other side when it is the same flooring.
Is there a particular species of wood, or finish that would stand up to this type of situation than others?

Thanks in advance.
We install a lot of hardwood in upper hallways where they have skylights & oak or hickory shows no colour change. You have to be careful with maple, walnut, cherry & exotics. Looks for manufacturers that use UV cured finish.
Apr 17, 2005
10077 posts
952 upvotes
Brampton
mgnr wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2009 5:21 pm
Hi Patrob. I am new to RFD, and have spent the last hour going through this entire thread. I can't believe that it has been going for close to 2 years. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Now for my question - we are taking possession of a house in Thornhill mid-September and want to refinish the hardwood floors on the main floor before we actually move in. Can you give us the names of a couple of good refinishers in the area? I had one person come in with a quote of $2/ sq foot including sanding, staining and 2 coats of polyurethane. Is this reasonable or below market? Does the quarter round need to come up when the floors are being redone?
Welcome to RFD :)

Yes, quarter round has to be removed to re-sand. $2 sq. ft. sanding, staining & finishing is cheap. Often this price is for natural & stain is more. I will PM you the contact info.
Nov 17, 2003
2839 posts
330 upvotes
patrob, do you guys stain oak steps?

I've asked the builder to leave my oak staircase unfinished as they were going to charge me a ridiculous amount for them to stain it. It's about 15 steps with railings.
Jun 4, 2007
144 posts
6 upvotes
Beamsville
Hi Patrob,

I have a dilemma and would appreciate your advise.

I have an fairly open concept house and the floor joists change direction right in the middle of the place. The subloor is
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10077 posts
952 upvotes
Brampton
rinse wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 7:46 am
patrob, do you guys stain oak steps?

I've asked the builder to leave my oak staircase unfinished as they were going to charge me a ridiculous amount for them to stain it. It's about 15 steps with railings.
Yes but that depends how busy we are. When is your closing & location? sp
Apr 17, 2005
10077 posts
952 upvotes
Brampton
doggydoo wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2009 12:59 pm
Hi Patrob,

I have a dilemma and would appreciate your advise.

I have an fairly open concept house and the floor joists change direction right in the middle of the place. The subloor is
521 posts
8 upvotes
My wife and I really like the look of wood flooring. We are building a house, but we have a 82lb German Shepherd dog.

Is there any chance of getting a hardwood that the dog won't destroy?

If not, can you recommend a good laminate that looks like real wood.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
13983 posts
934 upvotes
Thornhill
Hi...

I was reading the installation requirements for the hardwood and they specify this:
... construction paper (15 lb/6 kg) on wood subfloors;
I actually have a roll of the BP Canada RG401 felt paper (link)... would that be the right stuff, or did I totally get the wrong thing? :)

thanks!
bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 1:07 pm
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. :facepalm:
RFD discounts for Schluter products/
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10077 posts
952 upvotes
Brampton
t3359 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2009 4:48 pm
Hi...

I was reading the installation requirements for the hardwood and they specify this:

I actually have a roll of the BP Canada RG401 felt paper (link)... would that be the right stuff, or did I totally get the wrong thing? :)

thanks!
bjl
It's hell to install floors on that paper. It catches between boards & it's so thick if it does, you can't put the boards together. I don't know why some manufacturers specify it but regular flooring underlay (wax paper) works the best. We usually use that BP paper to cover the floors after installation.