Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Oct 30, 2007
461 posts
6 upvotes
We have Satin Finish Graphite floors in oak and love the way they turned out!!!

We were shopping and comparing them to Mirage in Java color and there was just something about the Graphite in Satin Finish that amazed us. Honestly we could not notice a difference between the two from the finish nor the V grooves. I would recommend people to go with a reputable brand and choose the color that suits them best.

On another note, can anyone recommend a good cleaner/protector to be used with Satin Finish floors?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
1010 posts
8 upvotes
Have you heard of the brand Amazon for laminate? Store claims it is a German brand. If they have current stock they will sell me 10mm for $1.30/sf, if they need to order they will sell it for $1.90/sf.

Assuming it is not high grade, but say middle of the road, would I be better off getting Torlys 8mm for $1.90/sf?

Thanks Patrob. Also what should I expect for contractors installation (I know you can't give exact numbers, but say $2-$3/sf for laminate, $4-$7 for hardwood, etc.) just so I don't feel like I'm being ripped off...lol
Jul 1, 2008
4 posts
London, Ontario
Hey All,

I have just purchased a condo in London, ON and want to replace the carpeting with a nice engineered floor, covering about 1000 sq. ft. Looking for something with not too much graining in the dark brown/expresso family for colour. Woods that I have seen an liked include maple, birch, white oak, and even some regular oak that is nice. I am a newbie at this so I was hoping for some advice as to where I might find a good price for such a product and how much I should be paying per sq. ft. I'm especially looking for a store in London/Hamilton/Toronto region, if possible. I have also been looking online and found a US company - BuildDirect, who has a nice looking White Oak "Burberry" product for $2.54. It seems to be a good price, but I don't know if anyone has bought from this place before and can comment on quality of wood? The brand is Dreya, they also carry some nice samples in the $3-4 in Vanier and Burlington Handscraped.

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
Rexie wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 11:10 pm
The 20 oc I believe refers to the max joist distance allowable for the wood sheets for structural purposes (in my case 20"). Thus anything <=20" the floor won't fall down.

A web site for similar wood is : http://www.gfp-inc.com/downloads/GrantOSB1.pdf Note going from 5/8" to 23/32" you get about 60% more load rating and your max span goes up about 20%. Hardwood suppliers often recommend 23/32" OSB wood. What I wasn't sure of in practice is does the slightly lower thickness typically make any difference.
The thickness between the OSB is not noticeable but if you don't feel comfortable, you can always add the 1/4" ply.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
SMC23 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 3:49 pm
We have Satin Finish Graphite floors in oak and love the way they turned out!!!

We were shopping and comparing them to Mirage in Java color and there was just something about the Graphite in Satin Finish that amazed us. Honestly we could not notice a difference between the two from the finish nor the V grooves. I would recommend people to go with a reputable brand and choose the color that suits them best.

On another note, can anyone recommend a good cleaner/protector to be used with Satin Finish floors?
You didn't notice the glossier finish on SF & the higher/lower boards?

But if you are happy with the product you chose, then that's all that matters. There is no special cleaner for SF but check with a flooring store, just not HD.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
Kranberry wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2008 9:12 pm
Have you heard of the brand Amazon for laminate? Store claims it is a German brand. If they have current stock they will sell me 10mm for $1.30/sf, if they need to order they will sell it for $1.90/sf.

Assuming it is not high grade, but say middle of the road, would I be better off getting Torlys 8mm for $1.90/sf?

Thanks Patrob. Also what should I expect for contractors installation (I know you can't give exact numbers, but say $2-$3/sf for laminate, $4-$7 for hardwood, etc.) just so I don't feel like I'm being ripped off...lol
Not familiar with that brand. But many times, the 8 or 9 mm from Torlys is a lot better than 10 - 12mm from other brands. So the thickness doesn't really matter, it's the density of the HDF that's most important & the aluminum coating. I still prefer Torlys over any other laminates. They also have great customer service.

Prices will vary from brand, styles, colours, grade & where it goes. PM me with the details, then I can tell you my opinion.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
hajif wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2008 6:44 pm
I have just purchased a condo in London, ON and want to replace the carpeting with a nice engineered floor, covering about 1000 sq. ft. Looking for something with not too much graining in the dark brown/expresso family for colour. Woods that I have seen an liked include maple, birch, white oak, and even some regular oak that is nice. I am a newbie at this so I was hoping for some advice as to where I might find a good price for such a product and how much I should be paying per sq. ft. I'm especially looking for a store in London/Hamilton/Toronto region, if possible. I have also been looking online and found a US company - BuildDirect, who has a nice looking White Oak "Burberry" product for $2.54. It seems to be a good price, but I don't know if anyone has bought from this place before and can comment on quality of wood? The brand is Dreya, they also carry some nice samples in the $3-4 in Vanier and Burlington Handscraped.
Thanks!
Condos are usually more expensive, due to the inconvenience (rules), underlays, methods of installation & more expensive product (engineered).

Oaks are grainy, maple & birch or maybe some nice exotics are less grainy but more expensive. The $2.54 sq. ft. product, that's a price for laminate but not for real hardwood engineered. And real handscraped products are very expensive (around $8 - $9sq. ft.)
7 posts
USA
Hey Patrob,

My uncle has purchased a new home in Utah and he has a dilemma wherein he wants to go for simple solid wood flooring with good mattresses on it while my aunt wants to go for laminate wood flooring without mattresses on the floor!

What can be the best option of the two; since they want me to select one for them to prevent clashes :lol:
Micky Nelson
I love woods; I sleep on Hardwood floors :)
Charleston, SC
Jul 18, 2008
7 posts
USA
One important point that I forgot to mention:
They are in southern part that of Utah which is more near to deserts; since the northern part is snowy!!!

I just thought if atmosphere should make a difference to this while selecting--- :idea: ---
Please guide.
Micky Nelson
I love woods; I sleep on Hardwood floors :)
Charleston, SC
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
1124 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
Patrob:

How good & how easy to install is the above product? I'm thinking of purchasing it from HD this weekend for our basement.

Thanks..
Banned
Oct 25, 2006
453 posts
Toronto
It seems to me the uniclic system has the best locking system between laminates and it is locked at 4 sides. Is this right?

I found some Dupoint laminate at homedepot but its locking system is not uniclic and has no AC rating

How good are they?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
Micky N wrote:
Jul 24th, 2008 6:36 am
Hey Patrob,

My uncle has purchased a new home in Utah and he has a dilemma wherein he wants to go for simple solid wood flooring with good mattresses on it while my aunt wants to go for laminate wood flooring without mattresses on the floor!

What can be the best option of the two; since they want me to select one for them to prevent clashes :lol:
Micky N wrote:
Jul 24th, 2008 6:39 am
One important point that I forgot to mention:
They are in southern part that of Utah which is more near to deserts; since the northern part is snowy!!!

I just thought if atmosphere should make a difference to this while selecting--- :idea: ---
Please guide.
Not sure what you mean about the mattresses :confused: :D Either way, go for solid or good engineered. Preferably engineered due to the climate. It has to be well climatized before installation.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
imnew wrote:
Jul 25th, 2008 9:03 am
Patrob:

How good & how easy to install is the above product? I'm thinking of purchasing it from HD this weekend for our basement.

Thanks..
Personally never worked with it but some people have said it's good for the money & apparently easy to install.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1316 upvotes
Brampton
lisiuping wrote:
Jul 25th, 2008 10:00 am
It seems to me the uniclic system has the best locking system between laminates and it is locked at 4 sides. Is this right?

I found some Dupoint laminate at homedepot but its locking system is not uniclic and has no AC rating

How good are they?
Torlys or Quickstep. Uniclic is the best locking system for sure. I don't really deal with HD or Rona laminates or hardwood.
Mar 8, 2002
11468 posts
2876 upvotes
GTA
patrob wrote:
Jul 25th, 2008 10:20 pm
I don't really deal with HD or Rona laminates or hardwood.
Why? Is it a question of price and/or quality?