Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Sep 9, 2004
96 posts
12 upvotes
Durham
patrob wrote:
Jul 25th, 2008 10:20 pm
I don't really deal with HD or Rona laminates or hardwood.
I'm with ya after I went to a local flooring store. They have better quality product for same/less price than hd/rona have. I almost went with hd flooring because of that rebate thing. and the underlay I got has better quality than the cheapo ones at hd/rona and it cost only a little bit more.
Jul 22, 2008
51 posts
1 upvote
Col127 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2007 12:28 am
oh i see.... i have oak right now. my fiancee and i both hate how grainy it is - can't stand it. and i think if you stain, the graininess still comes right through it, so there's not much point :P

we actually got a way better quote today from a different company, so we might just go with them. we got a quote to do hardwood floor from one company and carpet (for upstairs) from another company - everything together is just a bit over $5000. pretty good, but i'm still shopping around for the best one.

question: what's your thoughts on hard maple vs. birch?

Hi Col127,

Seems you got a great deal according to patrob. Could you please let me know if you were happy with the result, outcome and everything about that company?

Could you kindly give me their name and contact info?

Thanks very much.
Jul 22, 2008
51 posts
1 upvote
I'm looking to change my condo's carpet floor to hardwood. Has anyone done this recently? Any good company with decent rates and good quality? Thanks.
Dec 17, 2002
420 posts
22 upvotes
For a 250 sq ft living room of my townhouse. I just thinking to choose either 3" 1/4 or 4" hardwood floor. Which one fit my room better? Why?

Is that true for 3 1/4" and 4" hardwood are from Canada. and 3 1/2 is usually from China?

How do you know that is a Grade A wood? Who can I tell the hardwood floor are in good quality?

What is the best price I can get in GTA area for canadian Jatoba hardwood?

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1315 upvotes
Brampton
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jul 25th, 2008 11:26 pm
Why? Is it a question of price and/or quality?
Both. You can get better quality for the same or lower price.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1315 upvotes
Brampton
bob318 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2008 12:07 am
For a 250 sq ft living room of my townhouse. I just thinking to choose either 3" 1/4 or 4" hardwood floor. Which one fit my room better? Why?

Is that true for 3 1/4" and 4" hardwood are from Canada. and 3 1/2 is usually from China?

How do you know that is a Grade A wood? Who can I tell the hardwood floor are in good quality?

What is the best price I can get in GTA area for canadian Jatoba hardwood?

Thanks
Either size will look good.

Every manufacturer makes similar sizes, some make 2 1/4", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/4", 3 1/2" & 4" & even 4 1/4". Stay away from wood packed in plastic.

If you see sizes like 3 5/8", 4 1/8" those usually are from overseas. The grade A, it's like you are talking about beef :D A = grade 1 = clear, is usually cleaner, no knots, longer boards. Finish, stain & varnish on any grade should be the same, it's the wood quality that's diff. And there is no Canadian jatoba. The product might be finished here but milled somewhere else. And buy the exotic wood from a reputable manufacturer only.
84 posts
toronto
Hi Patrob:

Have you ever seen a Vintage black walnut estate floor laid? On the sample board, the planks have quite a bit of yellow, some greenish tones, and areas of light to medium brown. It's hard to tell how representative the sample board is and what a whole floor of it would look like.

Will this be an elegant, fairly evenly toned floor, or kind of crazy, with many light and dark boards. Although sometimes with the light and darks boards you still get an overall even feel. I'm trying to decide between this and Vintage oak mocha, a completely different look. Would appreciate any pros, cons, comments about either.

Many thanks.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1315 upvotes
Brampton
irisray wrote:
Jul 27th, 2008 11:50 pm
Hi Patrob:

Have you ever seen a Vintage black walnut estate floor laid? On the sample board, the planks have quite a bit of yellow, some greenish tones, and areas of light to medium brown. It's hard to tell how representative the sample board is and what a whole floor of it would look like.

Will this be an elegant, fairly evenly toned floor, or kind of crazy, with many light and dark boards. Although sometimes with the light and darks boards you still get an overall even feel. I'm trying to decide between this and Vintage oak mocha, a completely different look. Would appreciate any pros, cons, comments about either.

Many thanks.
1) Walnut is a lot softer wood. Smoother finish & like you said, it will have that more of a "crazy look", meaning it's less uniform in colour if you choose natural walnut. It also ages with time & becomes a bit darker.

2) Red oak Mocha is harder than walnut & totally diff. look & because it's stained, it's very uniform. There is a large price diff. in the black walnut & oak.

3) What about stained walnut in Monarch colour, it's more uniform & has a rich feel.
453 posts
Toronto
uniclic is licensed to a lot of laminate brands
Torlys and Quickstep are just 2 of them
I am looking for AC4 or AC5 rating laminates
Which brand did you recommend that use uniclic joints?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2005
1123 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
What is the normal expansion gap for laminate? 1/4" or 1/2"??
Dec 17, 2002
420 posts
22 upvotes
Thank you patrob
I can get more detail now from the supplier today
Here is the hardwood flooring company - marquise
http://www.starwoodmanufacturing.com/about.html

We were quoted for
Manufactory: Starwood
Type:Jatoba
Size: 3 1/4"
Grade: Select and Better
Price: $4.8 per sq ft plus tax
Labour: $2(Cash) <-- Our target for now

Manufactory: St Lawrence Collections
Type:Jatoba
Size: 3 1/4"
Grade: Select and Better
Price: $5.4 per sq ft plus tax
Labour: $2(Cash)

We pick that because the original color is not that red yet. We know the color will changed to darker. so we are pretty concern about the original color before unpack.
http://www.starwoodmanufacturing.com/co ... atural.jpg

We tried get the quote for the jatoba hardwood floor in Toronto area. most of them either from China or the color is too red.

I heard you suggest people to get Vintage. What is the price of it for the same size? Thank you.

patrob wrote:
Jul 27th, 2008 1:09 pm
Either size will look good.

Every manufacturer makes similar sizes, some make 2 1/4", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/4", 3 1/2" & 4" & even 4 1/4". Stay away from wood packed in plastic.

If you see sizes like 3 5/8", 4 1/8" those usually are from overseas. The grade A, it's like you are talking about beef :D A = grade 1 = clear, is usually cleaner, no knots, longer boards. Finish, stain & varnish on any grade should be the same, it's the wood quality that's diff. And there is no Canadian jatoba. The product might be finished here but milled somewhere else. And buy the exotic wood from a reputable manufacturer only.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1315 upvotes
Brampton
lisiuping wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 2:57 pm
uniclic is licensed to a lot of laminate brands
Torlys and Quickstep are just 2 of them
I am looking for AC4 or AC5 rating laminates
Which brand did you recommend that use uniclic joints?
Uniclic is a locking system that other companies/brands use in their laminates. Of course they pay royalties to use their locking system. But still Torlys or Quickstep is one of the best in overall quality.
imnew wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 3:17 pm
What is the normal expansion gap for laminate? 1/4" or 1/2"??
Around 1/2" from the wall. But always follow the manufacturer's installation guide.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1315 upvotes
Brampton
bob318 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 8:14 pm
We tried get the quote for the jatoba hardwood floor in Toronto area. most of them either from China or the color is too red.

I heard you suggest people to get Vintage. What is the price of it for the same size? Thank you.
Vintage 3 1/4" Jatoba natural will be min. 75 cents more per sq. ft. than St. Lawrence. If you are concerned about the colour change, higher colour variation, don't pick natural, go for stained.
84 posts
toronto
patrob wrote:
Jul 28th, 2008 12:09 am
1) Walnut is a lot softer wood. Smoother finish & like you said, it will have that more of a "crazy look", meaning it's less uniform in colour if you choose natural walnut. It also ages with time & becomes a bit darker.

2) Red oak Mocha is harder than walnut & totally diff. look & because it's stained, it's very uniform. There is a large price diff. in the black walnut & oak.

3) What about stained walnut in Monarch colour, it's more uniform & has a rich feel.

Hi Patrob:

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check out the walnut monarch. It looks similar in darkness to the red oak mocha with maybe more reddish to it? I like the colour of the mocha - have you ever seen this laid? I want something that will look elegant. Perhaps it looks elegant when you see a whole room of it, very hard to tell from the samples.

I called vintage today re the natural walnut and they kindly referred me to a subdivision where the sales office and several homes had it laid. Individual boards looked beautiful, but overall it was more choppy a look than I'm going for.

Thank you.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)