Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

May 10, 2008
84 posts
toronto
patrob wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2008 3:02 pm
Hickory has a very similar grain to oak. It's around 500 points harder than white oak & long time ago skis & baseball bats were made out of hickory.

Colour wise I prefer white oak Musket but it's really a personal preference. Woods like ash, hickory & some others only come in Vintage grade.

Actually here is a pic of a job done in Musket colour :)
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8963/img3371gw2.jpg

Thanks for the info, Patrob, and the picture. Very fancy installation job (your husband's?). Must have taken a lot of time but the end result is beautiful.

What would you say is the undertone of the musket oak? The small sample I have looks like it was made from one plank, a plank with subtle, straight graining, so it looks more like teak than oak. When the whole floor is laid, what is the undertone - reddish, orange, greenish, yellow, other?? Do you think it'd go with mahagony furniture? but wouldn't look too dark?

I think I prefer the oak to the hickory too. It looks richer and my hickory sample looks yellow/orange toned. Why do the woods you mentioned only come in vintage grade? I was surprised to see so much variation in the oak floor since it's estate grade. I guess that's the nature of oak and it's charm.

Thank you, as always. I'm learning more than I ever thought I'd know about wood :lol:
Apr 28, 2003
39 posts
12 upvotes
Brampton
hi patrob,

i was looking at preverco select beech hardwood (3 1/4 inch) for my house. how is the quality and is it a good price for $4.90 a square foot?

thanks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10877 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
irisray wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2008 3:16 am
Thanks for the info, Patrob, and the picture. Very fancy installation job (your husband's?). Must have taken a lot of time but the end result is beautiful.

What would you say is the undertone of the musket oak? The small sample I have looks like it was made from one plank, a plank with subtle, straight graining, so it looks more like teak than oak. When the whole floor is laid, what is the undertone - reddish, orange, greenish, yellow, other?? Do you think it'd go with mahagony furniture? but wouldn't look too dark?

I think I prefer the oak to the hickory too. It looks richer and my hickory sample looks yellow/orange toned. Why do the woods you mentioned only come in vintage grade? I was surprised to see so much variation in the oak floor since it's estate grade. I guess that's the nature of oak and it's charm.

Thank you, as always. I'm learning more than I ever thought I'd know about wood :lol:
Yes it is my husbands installation :D Musket does have a greenish aged look undertone & it will not be too dark for your furniture. The house that the floor installation was done in has very dark antique furniture & it looks very good together. The hickory Chivas has a more yellow colour but if you look at Old Mission which is more red & Winchester which is more brown.

For those specific species (Hickory & Ash), Vintage grade is like Estate for others since there is only 1 grade.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10877 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
spanky wrote:
Aug 4th, 2008 8:32 am
hi patrob,

i was looking at preverco select beech hardwood (3 1/4 inch) for my house. how is the quality and is it a good price for $4.90 a square foot?

thanks
$4.90 for beech & Preverco is a bit overpriced IMO. Around $5 price range, you can find something better. There have been issues with Preverco in the past so hopefully they have improved.
84 posts
toronto
patrob wrote:
Aug 4th, 2008 11:00 am
Yes it is my husbands installation :D Musket does have a greenish aged look undertone & it will not be too dark for your furniture. The house that the floor installation was done in has very dark antique furniture & it looks very good together. The hickory Chivas has a more yellow colour but if you look at Old Mission which is more red & Winchester which is more brown.

For those specific species (Hickory & Ash), Vintage grade is like Estate for others since there is only 1 grade.
Hi Patrob:

I like the Musket, and a greenish aged undertone sounds perfect. Your comments were so helpful as was the picture of your hubby's fantastic work. The Musket looks like an easy to live with mid-toned wood, one that you could decorate around in any style.

I wish the Vintage site would update and follow the lead of Mirage who's website is terrific and gives you a great idea of how the various woods look installed.

Many, many thanks. :D
Jul 1, 2008
4 posts
London, Ontario
Hi All,

I've just bought a new condo in London, ON and I am looking for a dark engineered hardwood to put into it. I've got about 1050 sq. ft to fill, and I've been looking at products like the Torlys Montcalm Beech Wenge or something slightly lighter/more brown/less black then that. I also have a tight budget, can't spend more then $4.00 per sq. ft (including tax). Ideally I was looking for something without too much grain, so a beech/maple, or even a jatoba or something of that sort, but if I get the colour and price I won't fuss about the grain. I'm also easy on the size of plank, as always wider would be nice but I'm realistic considering the budget. If anyone knows where I might find something like this in southwestern Ontario (i.e. anywhere from London to Oshawa) I would love some help. The cheapest I can find for a decent product is $4.50/sq. ft + tax.

Help!

Thanks,

Faizal
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10877 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
hajif wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 5:15 pm
I've just bought a new condo in London, ON and I am looking for a dark engineered hardwood to put into it. I've got about 1050 sq. ft to fill, and I've been looking at products like the Torlys Montcalm Beech Wenge or something slightly lighter/more brown/less black then that. I also have a tight budget, can't spend more then $4.00 per sq. ft (including tax). Ideally I was looking for something without too much grain, so a beech/maple, or even a jatoba or something of that sort, but if I get the colour and price I won't fuss about the grain. I'm also easy on the size of plank, as always wider would be nice but I'm realistic considering the budget. If anyone knows where I might find something like this in southwestern Ontario (i.e. anywhere from London to Oshawa) I would love some help. The cheapest I can find for a decent product is $4.50/sq. ft + tax.
Laminate yes, engineered no, unless you find it at an auction. Don't forget about your underlay & check with the condo management for their min. requirement, what about your transitions/reducers?
Apr 17, 2005
10877 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
lisiuping wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 9:28 am
I am looking at 12mm laminate and found this:
http://www.floorzbuzz.com/productcar...8&idproduct=31

12mm AC5 Kronotex Robusto laminate at $1.35/sq ft

hard to believe price and they ship to Canada, shipping charge to be verified

Anyone has experience with this company & Robusto series?
The link does not work & I am not familiar with this product. But if you like the price & colour, the price seems good.
7 posts
USA
patrob wrote:
Jul 25th, 2008 10:05 pm
Not sure what you mean about the mattresses :confused: :D Either way, go for solid or good engineered. Preferably engineered due to the climate. It has to be well climatized before installation.
Thank you Patrob!
With mattresses here I meant was kinda carpets for the floors.
But yes, as you said to meet with the climatic limitations, engineered wood floors --"well climatized before installation" is the right option.

Thanks! :)
Micky Nelson
I love woods; I sleep on Hardwood floors :)
Charleston, SC
Banned
Oct 25, 2006
453 posts
Toronto
patrob wrote:
Aug 5th, 2008 11:17 pm
The link does not work & I am not familiar with this product. But if you like the price & colour, the price seems good.
link corrected
how can the canadian price more than double the US online price?
Anyone can get similar pricing for similar AC5 product in Canada?
Oct 30, 2007
461 posts
6 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2008 3:02 pm
Hickory has a very similar grain to oak. It's around 500 points harder than white oak & long time ago skis & baseball bats were made out of hickory.

Colour wise I prefer white oak Musket but it's really a personal preference. Woods like ash, hickory & some others only come in Vintage grade.

Actually here is a pic of a job done in Musket colour :)
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8963/img3371gw2.jpg
Wow, beautiful floors and house!

Are those 5" baseboards? They look bold and gorgesous!
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1251 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
johnsmithy wrote:
Aug 1st, 2008 3:33 pm
hi patrob,

thanks for being so deligent in replying to this thread.

i recently purchased a house which hardwood floors (wide stained pine planks on one floor and narrow unfinished oak on another floor) but they have been nailed through the top.

the nails pop up and the floor squeeks and the oak strips need to be sanded and stained. are there any options available to save these floors and stop the nail pops or do i have to replace them?

thanks!
patrob wrote:
Aug 1st, 2008 9:33 pm
It must be an older house... Are both floors nailed from the top? Or maybe the previous owner tried to fix the squeaks by nailing the planks :confused: The narrow strips (3/8" x 1 1/2" or 1 3/4") they usually squeak & there is no way to fix it. Before re-sanding, make sure there is enough wood left for sanding. Maybe it's the nails showing through & this would be a good indication that it's time to replace the floors.
yup, both floors are nailed from the top. a friend warned us that re-sanding could be difficult too since the nails may tear up the sandpaper.

can i get your opinion on this flooring? excuse my noobieness as i am just starting to do my research in this area. the description is:

Larch Rustic 6"
Solid Hardwood
$3.99 / sq. ft. (600 sq. ft. available)
Nail Down To Wooden Sub-floor

here's the link to image: http://www.hardwoodflooringstore.com/im ... /larch.jpg

this actually looks very similar to the wide planks we have on our third floor. i'm concerned that the knots and such will fall out and leave holes in the floor. is this a legitimate concern?

thanks again!
=============
Heatware
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10877 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
SMC23 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2008 9:27 am
Wow, beautiful floors and house!

Are those 5" baseboards? They look bold and gorgesous!
No, actually those are 8" standard with that particular builder :D
Apr 17, 2005
10877 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
johnsmithy wrote:
Aug 6th, 2008 1:25 pm
yup, both floors are nailed from the top. a friend warned us that re-sanding could be difficult too since the nails may tear up the sandpaper.

can i get your opinion on this flooring? excuse my noobieness as i am just starting to do my research in this area. the description is:

Larch Rustic 6"
Solid Hardwood
$3.99 / sq. ft. (600 sq. ft. available)
Nail Down To Wooden Sub-floor

here's the link to image: http://www.hardwoodflooringstore.com/im ... /larch.jpg

this actually looks very similar to the wide planks we have on our third floor. i'm concerned that the knots and such will fall out and leave holes in the floor. is this a legitimate concern?

thanks again!
There is no way I would go with a 6" solid plank. Can you imagine the capping in humidity & shrinkage? The max I would go with a solid plank is 4". If you want wide planks go with engineered wood. And $4 sq. ft. for rustic (3rd grade) is not that cheap for that brand.

Do you have a pic of the floors with the top nails showing?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

wind13