Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Dec 9, 2013
343 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
Kronotex vs Golden Select laminate flooring? Which would you choose?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
Justin wrote:
Jul 24th, 2016 11:50 pm
Insurance is replacing my maple hardwood flooring due to a broken water line on my fridge that ruined the floor. I cannot get the same colour as my existing floor. Below are a couple pictures of my floor. Would a lighter floor look decent? I'd rather get lighter than darker since even my existing floors show every piece of dust, foots prints, etc. Thanks

It all depends on what you like, you still have to clean the floors regardless of the colour. Maybe something in a lighter grey colour would go well with your dark cabinets, will be lighter than what you have now but not too light. I wouldn't install anything in a yellow/golden tone :)
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
miscbrah1 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2016 10:21 pm
If that's the only choice you have then Kronotex.
405 posts
53 upvotes
Vaughan
I was looking at kronotex but found a cheaper brand at Home Depot, it's just a rental basement I gotta do so don't want to spend too much. What about the brand home decorations collection from Home Depot?

It comes with 12 mm thickness and AC4, it's about half the price as the other brands. Says made in Austria vs so many I've seen made in China
Dec 6, 2008
368 posts
72 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Jul 25th, 2016 10:18 pm
You cannot nail down floor on Dricore or at least you're not supposed to. On Dricore you can only float. If you want solid floors your subfloor must also be attached to concrete. You don't want to have solid moisture barrier between concrete and subfloor that will trap potential moisture below. It must be breathable, there must be air space so concrete can breathe a little bit. Below grade engineered hardwood only. There's always higher RH levels in the basement.
Thanks. So r u saying that do not use dricore if using hardwood. Sorry am new to this. What would go between hardwood (top) and concrete (bottom) and would the layers be glued/nailed?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
itemsale2003 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2016 10:31 am
Thanks. So r u saying that do not use dricore if using hardwood. Sorry am new to this. What would go between hardwood (top) and concrete (bottom) and would the layers be glued/nailed?
Yes you can still use Dricore and use engineered hardwood just float it not nailed down.
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
AnthonyL140 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2016 9:26 am
I was looking at kronotex but found a cheaper brand at Home Depot, it's just a rental basement I gotta do so don't want to spend too much. What about the brand home decorations collection from Home Depot?

It comes with 12 mm thickness and AC4, it's about half the price as the other brands. Says made in Austria vs so many I've seen made in China
No idea, let us know how it holds up after you install it.
361 posts
151 upvotes
Markham, ON
miscbrah1 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2016 10:21 pm
definitely kronotex.
Golden Select are made in China(google chinese toxic laminate)..and imo most of their styles look very "asian" (to me = old fashion)

Newer European laminate looks much more contemporary and nicer. I believe they cost more tho, so depending on your budget.
Nov 30, 2015
166 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi - This thread is awesome! I tried searching for the answers I was looking for but couldn't find an answer. I currently have red oak floors finished in a sickening golden colour. The floors were installed a year before we moved in so they are in immaculate condition. We have a matching 2-set staircase that goes from the top floor all the way to the basement. We are debating whether to refinish or rip out and buy new. We really like a grey white oak finish like this: http://www.southernwoodfloors.com/featu ... ossil.html

Questions:
1. My wife is very chemical conscious, which is worse, refinishing with a water based finish (Bona Traffic HD) vs. pre-finished new flooring in an Oil finish from a VOC perspective? (are there water based pre-finished low voc floors available?)
2. Can one achieve anything similar to the picture above with red oak? From what I have seen we would need to use a more grey finish to cut the pinkish tinge of the red oak
3. Any brands you would recommend for either stain, finish or new floors considering what we are trying to do?

Thanks!
Mar 30, 2007
186 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced flooring stores for engineered hardwood in Vancouver/the lower mainland? I'm looking to put in ~1000 sq ft of engineered floor in a condo but there are so many different places that I'm not sure where to look to get a decent product and a good price. Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
socialmindset wrote:
Jul 30th, 2016 8:41 am
Hi - This thread is awesome! I tried searching for the answers I was looking for but couldn't find an answer. I currently have red oak floors finished in a sickening golden colour. The floors were installed a year before we moved in so they are in immaculate condition. We have a matching 2-set staircase that goes from the top floor all the way to the basement. We are debating whether to refinish or rip out and buy new. We really like a grey white oak finish like this: http://www.southernwoodfloors.com/featu ... ossil.html

Questions:
1. My wife is very chemical conscious, which is worse, refinishing with a water based finish (Bona Traffic HD) vs. pre-finished new flooring in an Oil finish from a VOC perspective? (are there water based pre-finished low voc floors available?)
2. Can one achieve anything similar to the picture above with red oak? From what I have seen we would need to use a more grey finish to cut the pinkish tinge of the red oak
3. Any brands you would recommend for either stain, finish or new floors considering what we are trying to do?

Thanks!
If you want to achieve this colour on red oak you can have the floor finished with something like Rubio oil and there are chemicals to whiten/gray the red oak but that process will not be much cheaper than a new product. But you also have to add removal, disposal and new installation cost etc. Regarding diff. finish types it's best to speak to a professional refinisher about this, I can recommend one if you need a referral.
69 posts
14 upvotes
Does anyone have any experience repairing their hardwood floor? Sorry it's really hard to navigate through a 500+ pages thread.

I have some scratches and not so deep gouges, courtesy of my previous tenants. Most contractors suggest replacing the whole board for 60$ each, even the ones with minor scratches. Will have to do it myself I guess.

I already went to Lowe's and HD, they didn't carry anything to repair hardwood floors, just the touch-ups. Any suggestions would greatly help.
Apr 28, 2016
69 posts
14 upvotes
Does anyone have any experience repairing their hardwood floor? Sorry it's really hard to navigate through a 500+ pages thread.

I have some scratches and not so deep gouges, courtesy of my previous tenants. Most contractors suggest replacing the whole board for 60$ each, even the ones with minor scratches. Will have to do it myself I guess.

I already went to Lowe's and HD, they didn't carry anything to repair hardwood floors, just the touch-ups. Any suggestions would greatly help.
Apr 28, 2016
69 posts
14 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2016 9:55 pm
socialmindset wrote:
Jul 30th, 2016 8:41 am

Questions:

Thanks!
If you want to achieve this colour on red oak you can have the floor finished with something like Rubio oil and there are chemicals to whiten/gray the red oak but that process will not be much cheaper than a new product. But you also have to add removal, disposal and new installation cost etc. Regarding diff. finish types it's best to speak to a professional refinisher about this, I can recommend one if you need a referral.
testing
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
donkeyyy wrote:
Aug 4th, 2016 3:23 pm

Except for touch up kits there is nothing to repair hardwood floors. You can replace individual planks if the damage is severe. Replacing individual boards is not as easy as it looks on YouTube. Most guys won't go just to replace one board, few boards minimum. If you will be renting the place again I would just do touch ups.