Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Feb 22, 2017
61 posts
33 upvotes
Kitchener
I realize stuff at Home Depot is not amazing, but is it essentially trash? Spouse and I like the look of some Mullican flooring @ $5.96 a sq. ft. and this is about our budget. But you read some reviews and it sounds like Mullican is in the business of fraud, not hardwood. Is this just the case of only people who are mad / got a defect make noise or are we fixing to burn $7k? Is there a better alternative?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10383 posts
1080 upvotes
Brampton
napoleonbot wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:11 am
thanks for your answer
Some guy recommend 1mm per board for expansion gap, right or wrong that's a lot for a big room; if you allow 1/2" gap, then you have to believe that the outside ring of board do need to move 1/2" which is more than enough to pull nail off. right?
Is that possible to put a shim btw every board that allow them to expand and mostly settle in the middle.

Another question is, the expansion is actually due to humidity rather than temperature - well these two change together outside, but inside essentially it is humidity not temperature.
So can you timing your expansion gap, such like: if you install in winter, that you know air is dry you should leave sufficient gap, while if you do it in august without AC, you should leave very little gap, coz you know it will only contract.
The spacing between boards is only under certain circumstances for solid wood only which I will not explain. The expansion and contraction depends on humidity more than temps. So if you have AC for summer, it's a dehumidifier and for winter you should have a humidifier. But first of all you should have a hygrometer to see what the humidity is. You have to control the humidity also to maintain the warranty and that will minimize the expansion.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10383 posts
1080 upvotes
Brampton
tiamat wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 1:13 am
Hi patrob,

Great thread here and very timely for me to find it. I am looking to replace the flooring in my house with engineered hardwood but am stuck with analysis paralysis. Can you help with a recommendation on flooring brand/line and maybe installers in the metro Vancouver area? I would like to have everything (demolition, product, and installation) for under $12/sq ft on my 2000 sq ft project. Hopefully there are some good quality (and low VOC) products that fit within that price. Thank you!
Vancouver pricing tends to be a lot pricier. Vintage, Mirage, Preverco are Canadian products with low VOCs. Unfortunately can't help you with the rest.
Apr 17, 2005
10383 posts
1080 upvotes
Brampton
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:55 am
Hi patrob,

We just installed new hardwood in our house, except the stairs, because it's very expensive for installers to do it. We're planning to DIY it using Youtube videos.

We've got it all down pat, but we're wondering how rounded open ended stairs are installed? Like this one:

Also, what are some alternatives to the "Stair Stringer" that you see in the picture? We have that currently and want to get rid of it. If there is no alternative, where I do I get it?

Thanks!
You can order the treads from the stair manufacturer incl. the first bullnose step (rounded side). And just cut them and fit them in place. Redoing staircase is not a simple project, it's easy to make a mistake and hard to fix if you do. Railings have to come off and have to be reinstalled. So safety might be a concern. Do not make stair treads out of plank flooring! You either have white or stained stringer, if that lower part is drywall, you can re-vaneer it.
Apr 17, 2005
10383 posts
1080 upvotes
Brampton
raomanoj2004 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 4:33 pm
Hi guys, This is for all including Patrob.

Planning to install hardwood on both floors (ground and first). We selected two hardwood from Mirage (Red oak VIENNA& Red oak WATERLOO). Waterloo is builder grade. Sample just give an idea, how hardwood would look like from close but I would like to see how it look once installed. I would really appreciate If anyone have installed these hardwood and can share pics of their floor ..... thanks million times :)
Try to Google search, maybe someone posted some pics. You should be able to find Vienna pics, maybe on Mirage website. Good luck!
Apr 17, 2005
10383 posts
1080 upvotes
Brampton
daveinsurgent wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 8:01 pm
I realize stuff at Home Depot is not amazing, but is it essentially trash? Spouse and I like the look of some Mullican flooring @ $5.96 a sq. ft. and this is about our budget. But you read some reviews and it sounds like Mullican is in the business of fraud, not hardwood. Is this just the case of only people who are mad / got a defect make noise or are we fixing to burn $7k? Is there a better alternative?
You should be able to find Canadian product for under $6 sq ft. Just go visit your local hardwood stores. Don't have too much info on that particular brand.
57 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
I am getting mirage hardwoods in reasonable rates next month. There will be sale in Ontario (50 cent / per sq) and in quebec (15%) from mirage ...

Mirage waterloo (maple or oak) - 2 1/4: $4.66
Mirage waterloo (maple or oak) - 3 1/4: $5.09

Mirage vienna (maple or oak) - 2 1/4: $5.49
Mirage vienna (maple or oak) - 3 1/4: $5.99
daveinsurgent wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 8:01 pm
Feb 22, 2017
61 posts
33 upvotes
Kitchener
raomanoj2004 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:51 pm
I am getting mirage hardwoods in reasonable rates next month. There will be sale in Ontario (50 cent / per sq) and in quebec (15%) from mirage ...

Mirage waterloo (maple or oak) - 2 1/4: $4.66
Mirage waterloo (maple or oak) - 3 1/4: $5.09

Mirage vienna (maple or oak) - 2 1/4: $5.49
Mirage vienna (maple or oak) - 3 1/4: $5.99
Could you share further details ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8667 posts
1448 upvotes
Somewhere
patrob wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:31 pm
You can order the treads from the stair manufacturer incl. the first bullnose step (rounded side). And just cut them and fit them in place. Redoing staircase is not a simple project, it's easy to make a mistake and hard to fix if you do. Railings have to come off and have to be reinstalled. So safety might be a concern. Do not make stair treads out of plank flooring! You either have white or stained stringer, if that lower part is drywall, you can re-vaneer it.
Are you recommending that I buy pre-fabricated stair treading and risers like these:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.mapl ... 66686.html
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.mapl ... 33307.html

Install, then stain it ourselves?

This is the Youtube tutorial I was going to follow to make my stairs:

:confused:
Nov 17, 2013
37 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 10:21 am
Are you recommending that I buy pre-fabricated stair treading and risers like these:

This is the Youtube tutorial I was going to follow to make my stairs:

Look up Ontario stair & floor supply or vista stairs. You'll get the treads and risers for much less than Home Depot.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2005
1222 posts
54 upvotes
Is there anywhere I can rent a "dust free" sander?
I want to refinish my hardwood but reviews indicate that the homedepot sander creates a lot of dust even with the dust bag.
Is there such thing as a "dust free" sander? I mean it would be good even if it's 90% dust free..
Thanks
Nov 17, 2013
37 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
edvc520 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 1:20 pm
I want to refinish my hardwood but reviews indicate that the homedepot sander creates a lot of dust even with the dust bag.
Is there such thing as a "dust free" sander? I mean it would be good even if it's 90% dust free..
Thanks
You can try a shop vac hooked up to a dust deputy, but it would have to be pretty strong cfm and you would need a long hose. Dust containment systems dont come cheap and im not aware of anyone that rents them out.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10383 posts
1080 upvotes
Brampton
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 10:21 am

Yes you install & stain it yourself since you don't want to pay the installer to do it. Installing full treads has better visual effects than from hardwood planks & a lot more solid & nosings are not cheap. You can buy solid wood treads for similar price to the HD veneer ones.
Apr 17, 2005
10383 posts
1080 upvotes
Brampton
edvc520 wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 1:20 pm
Thanks
Those machines & dust collectors are very expensive & not something they rent out. If you really want to DIY, wait until warm weather, totally empty the place, seal off the other areas, open all the windows, install a fan in one of the windows, turn your furnace off & start sanding. Or hire a pro that has a dust collector & good equipment but that will cost you more.
7 posts
2 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Mar 1st, 2017 9:18 pm
Vancouver pricing tends to be a lot pricier. Vintage, Mirage, Preverco are Canadian products with low VOCs. Unfortunately can't help you with the rest.
Hmm... unfortunately those products start around $11/sq ft in Vancouver so with installation they are out of my budget. I'm told Timeless, Fusion, Kraus, and Floor Tech are within my budget. Do you have any opinions/experience with these brands? Can you recommend the best among them? Thanks again!