[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10340 posts
1066 upvotes
Brampton
tiamat wrote:
Mar 6th, 2017 11:43 pm
Hmm... unfortunately those products start around $11/sq ft in Vancouver so with installation they are out of my budget. I'm told Timeless, Fusion, Kraus, and Floor Tech are within my budget. Do you have any opinions/experience with these brands? Can you recommend the best among them? Thanks again!
You might not get low VOCs with cheaper products so yes you get what you pay for ufortunately. Not very familiar with those, heard of Fusion before I think it's Chinese.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
1200 posts
52 upvotes
Quick question, would it be a problem if I store some hardwood in the garage for 1 night?
Nov 29, 2013
57 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Hi, This is for all but specially Patrob. I have read multiple forums about hardwood underlayment. These are 5 underlayment used 1) rosin paper 2) felt paper 3) wax paper 4) tarp 5) plastic sheet. Which one is better for hardwood. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5218 posts
779 upvotes
Maple
Hi Patrob, deciding to upgrade our hardwood on main floor. It's about 850 Sq ft with parquet currently. Thinking to put the new hardwood on top. How is the quality of engineer laminate? Thinking to go for laminate (>12mm, 25 years warranty). I have few questions.
- any recommendation on the installer?
- price per sq ft to install?
- any recommendation of which laminate? price?
TIA
Last edited by teoconca on Mar 8th, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10340 posts
1066 upvotes
Brampton
edvc520 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 8:30 am
Quick question, would it be a problem if I store some hardwood in the garage for 1 night?
Will be fine as long as you don't leave it there for longer :)
Apr 17, 2005
10340 posts
1066 upvotes
Brampton
raomanoj2004 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 9:16 am
Hi, This is for all but specially Patrob. I have read multiple forums about hardwood underlayment. These are 5 underlayment used 1) rosin paper 2) felt paper 3) wax paper 4) tarp 5) plastic sheet. Which one is better for hardwood. Thanks
57 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
patrob wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 1:23 pm
Thanks! Patrob, Is not rosin paper would provide better cushion under hardwood and would handle any water spill from kids better then wax paper ... both are papers but rosin is thick and takes time to get fully wet ...hard to tear .... please let me know your thoughts ... my hardwood installer want to use some plastic sheet ...may be tarp or roof felt paper .... what is negative about felt paper ... is felt paper bad for interior use
Nov 29, 2013
57 posts
2 upvotes
Canada
Not sure my query was too confusing .... no answer yet :(
raomanoj2004 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 1:41 pm
Thanks! Patrob, Is not rosin paper would provide better cushion under hardwood and would handle any water spill from kids better then wax paper ... both are papers but rosin is thick and takes time to get fully wet ...hard to tear .... please let me know your thoughts ... my hardwood installer want to use some plastic sheet ...may be tarp or roof felt paper .... what is negative about felt paper ... is felt paper bad for interior use
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10340 posts
1066 upvotes
Brampton
teoconca wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 10:14 am
Hi Patrob, deciding to upgrade our hardwood on main floor. It's about 850 Sq ft with parquet currently. Thinking to put the new hardwood on top. How is the quality of engineer laminate? Thinking to go for laminate (>12mm, 25 years warranty). I have few questions.
- any recommendation on the installer?
- price per sq ft to install?
- any recommendation of which laminate? price?
TIA
There is no engineered laminate, it's either engineered hardwood or laminate. Where are you located? As per price for laminate varies from .99 cents up to $7 sq ft depending on quality. Price will also vary depending on the installer. Remember you will also need reducers, T-molds, etc.
Apr 17, 2005
10340 posts
1066 upvotes
Brampton
raomanoj2004 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 1:41 pm
If you spill something on hardwood, what will the paper underneath help you with? Any underlay under solid hardwood will not give you any cushion! Nail down hardwood is not supposed to have any cushion. You are not supposed to use any plastic type moisture barrier under hardwood. Only if it's floating in the basement or crawl space. Simple wax paper is all you need.
Oct 16, 2008
5218 posts
779 upvotes
Maple
My bad. It's laminate I was thinking of. I am in Maple (Jane/Rutherford). Thanks patrob. I saw Lowes was having 12mm, unlimited life warranty. Are their products ok? Is it better quality and price from hardwood stores. Can you recommend an installer?
patrob wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 3:23 pm
There is no engineered laminate, it's either engineered hardwood or laminate. Where are you located? As per price for laminate varies from .99 cents up to $7 sq ft depending on quality. Price will also vary depending on the installer. Remember you will also need reducers, T-molds, etc.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10340 posts
1066 upvotes
Brampton
teoconca wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 3:50 pm
My bad. It's laminate I was thinking of. I am in Maple (Jane/Rutherford). Thanks patrob. I saw Lowes was having 12mm, unlimited life warranty. Are their products ok? Is it better quality and price from hardwood stores. Can you recommend an installer?
How much was the Lowes laminate? Lot of people like the Costco laminate especially when it's on sale lol Looks pretty decent and well made. Maybe you can check it out.
Apr 17, 2005
10340 posts
1066 upvotes
Brampton
teoconca wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 4:01 pm
It's $1.69/sq ft or $23.51/box. Yah, I heard about Costco one (~$35/box).
https://www.lowes.ca/laminate-flooring/ ... 56105.html
Price looks reasonable.
263 posts
57 upvotes
Patrob,

I've tried to search the thread, and can't find anything...Do you still do installations?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel