Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1691 posts
655 upvotes
Montreal
Would engineered hardwood or laminate work for an unheated sunroom?

If yes, which brand would you guys recommend?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10580 posts
1153 upvotes
Brampton
Germack wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 9:07 pm
Would engineered hardwood or laminate work for an unheated sunroom?

If yes, which brand would you guys recommend?
If you say unheated, it means you have zero control for temperature/humidity. In this case none of those will work, tiles might be ok.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
1162 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Patrob, we are trying to decide between Solid Sawn Vintage White Oak Gotham, and Twelve Oaks White Oak Mersaille. The Solid Sawn is 3/4" and the Twelve Oaks is 5/8". Twelve Oaks is about $6.50/sq ft and Vintage $8.50.

Which would be the better option? Does it matter about the 1/8" difference in height? Is the Vintage a Canadian Product?
Nov 17, 2013
49 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
James_TheVirus wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:51 am
Hi Patrob, we are trying to decide between Solid Sawn Vintage White Oak Gotham, and Twelve Oaks White Oak Mersaille. The Solid Sawn is 3/4" and the Twelve Oaks is 5/8". Twelve Oaks is about $6.50/sq ft and Vintage $8.50.

Which would be the better option? Does it matter about the 1/8" difference in height? Is the Vintage a Canadian Product?
Vintage is Canadian, Twelve Oaks is Chinese. Have quite a bit of experience with both and haven't had as much issues with Vintage as I have with twelve oaks. I would be mainly concerned about the wear layer, I believe the Vintage is 4mm which is decent but im not sure about Twelve Oaks.
May 3, 2015
37 posts
4 upvotes
BC
Any experiences with laminate or engineered flooring on a cement slab home? Do you find it cold in the winter? Did you put any kind of special underlay underneath for extra warmth? Do you wish you had put in carpet instead?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10580 posts
1153 upvotes
Brampton
James_TheVirus wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:51 am

Vintage is a superior product and if you don't mind spending the additional money, I would definitely go for Vintage. But if you are on a tight budget then you can go with TO. I personally would go with Vintage.
521 posts
71 upvotes
I have Delta flooring (dimpled plastic) to put on my basement floor (very dry) which I bought years ago, and I'm finally in the process of completing my basement.

I plan on getting vinyl flooring for my basement. Is it ok to do the following: landscape fabric (to prevent clicking noise), Delta flooring, then 7/16 OSB ($14 a sheet), then the vinyl flooring? Are there any issues going this route?
Dec 3, 2009
53 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
anyone have any quality comments on Bruce hardwood vs Lauzon? Both are 3/4 inch solid
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10580 posts
1153 upvotes
Brampton
Grahamk wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 5:36 pm
Any experiences with laminate or engineered flooring on a cement slab home? Do you find it cold in the winter? Did you put any kind of special underlay underneath for extra warmth? Do you wish you had put in carpet instead?
There are 3 in 1 underlays for concrete slabs that will block cold coming from underneath. But otherwise it will be the same temp as the other areas of the house. Even though it is the same temp it will feel colder due to its hard surface. Some laminate can be installed over a heat pad but consult with manufacturer first.
Apr 17, 2005
10580 posts
1153 upvotes
Brampton
dailce wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 9:42 am
I have Delta flooring (dimpled plastic) to put on my basement floor (very dry) which I bought years ago, and I'm finally in the process of completing my basement.

I plan on getting vinyl flooring for my basement. Is it ok to do the following: landscape fabric (to prevent clicking noise), Delta flooring, then 7/16 OSB ($14 a sheet), then the vinyl flooring? Are there any issues going this route?
Never heard of landscape fabric used on concrete, it's breathable so I don't see any issues but when you put all that weight it shouldn't be clicking. You should check for low and high spots and have them grinded or filled to eliminate most subfloor movement. And if there would be any moisture coming in it would be trapped in the fabric and that may cause more problems. I would keep the landscaping fabric outside ;)
Apr 17, 2005
10580 posts
1153 upvotes
Brampton
bmacallister wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 11:17 am
anyone have any quality comments on Bruce hardwood vs Lauzon? Both are 3/4 inch solid
Bruce has many lines of hardwood so hard to say but personally would go with Lauzon.
1162 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
patrob wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 10:41 pm
Vintage is a superior product and if you don't mind spending the additional money, I would definitely go for Vintage. But if you are on a tight budget then you can go with TO. I personally would go with Vintage.
The issue is...we much prefer the color of the TO. It is a nice grey...plus, the Vintage will be $3k more...so we are really in a toss-up over what to do.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10580 posts
1153 upvotes
Brampton
James_TheVirus wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 6:57 pm
The issue is...we much prefer the color of the TO. It is a nice grey...plus, the Vintage will be $3k more...so we are really in a toss-up over what to do.
I think you just answered your own question :)
1162 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
patrob wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 7:01 pm
I think you just answered your own question :)
Except I know the Vintage quality and it is made in Canada...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10580 posts
1153 upvotes
Brampton
James_TheVirus wrote:
Mar 17th, 2017 8:02 pm
Except I know the Vintage quality and it is made in Canada...
So now it's all up to you. Post updated pics of what you decided :)