The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
1555 posts
454 upvotes
Montreal
patrob wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 9:20 pm
If you say unheated, it means you have zero control for temperature/humidity. In this case none of those will work, tiles might be ok.
That's a bummer. I thought some laminates would work. If needed the room can be heated. What kind of temperature need to be maintained for laminate or engineered hardwood to work?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10360 posts
1077 upvotes
Brampton
Germack wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 1:22 pm
That's a bummer. I thought some laminates would work. If needed the room can be heated. What kind of temperature need to be maintained for laminate or engineered hardwood to work?
Minimum temp doesn't matter as much, if it's above 15 deg C you'll be fine but this means you don't have any humidity control. So your RH levels will be high in summer and low in winter which will have major effect on the floor. And if the sunroom is not insulated from below then I wouldn't put any laminate or engineered hardwood. Every manufacturer has their own requirements so confirm with them.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
106 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
We're planning on putting dark laminate on top of dri-core in the basement (about 1300sf). Looking for some feedback on a couple of questions:

1. Does Dri-core ever go on sale? Where can I get the best price (I've compared and they all seem comparable and kind of expensive).
2. I'm interested in laminate from Costco.....anyone know when it typically goes on sale?
3. If we don't go with Costco, can someone recommend a good brand that's reasonably priced and best place to get it?
4. Do you think I can resell laminate? We put in new laminate 3 years ago but I just hate the colour (yes I know, duh). It's in perfect shape.
Nov 17, 2013
36 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
pinkmanwhite wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:52 am
We're planning on putting dark laminate on top of dri-core in the basement (about 1300sf). Looking for some feedback on a couple of questions:

1. Does Dri-core ever go on sale? Where can I get the best price (I've compared and they all seem comparable and kind of expensive).
2. I'm interested in laminate from Costco.....anyone know when it typically goes on sale?
3. If we don't go with Costco, can someone recommend a good brand that's reasonably priced and best place to get it?
4. Do you think I can resell laminate? We put in new laminate 3 years ago but I just hate the colour (yes I know, duh). It's in perfect shape.
No sense in installing dricore if you're only installing laminate, just use a good moisture barrier and itll be much cheaper.

Not sure about Costco sales but the deal they have now for the golden select German laminate is pretty good.

Check out Kronotex they have different lines at different price points. There's some on sale at lowes right now. You can also look at fuzion and goodfellow laminates.

If you can remove existing laminate without breaking any of the tongues or locks then you might find someone interested but I've never seen it done before.
Mar 21, 2006
149 posts
14 upvotes
Can anyone recommend a supplier in the GTA that carries Canadian hardwood.? Our budget is roughly $7.50 sq./ft.

Chris
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10360 posts
1077 upvotes
Brampton
BMC wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:37 pm
Can anyone recommend a supplier in the GTA that carries Canadian hardwood.? Our budget is roughly $7.50 sq./ft.

Chris
Go on Vintage, Mirage, Preverco, Mercier, etc. website and search for their dealer list in your area. Go there and you will find many Canadian manufacturers and the sales person should also know who they are.
650 posts
182 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
BMC wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:37 pm

Chris
Darmaga has a big selection and a showroom. They are located in Richmond Hill
Jul 27, 2016
16 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
Hi,

Based on attach floor plan, where should I start to keep the floor straight lines?

Thanks
Images
Nov 17, 2013
36 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
iismail wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:07 pm
Hi,

Based on attach floor plan, where should I start to keep the floor straight lines?

Thanks
I would normally start with a full piece off the stair nosing, but it might not be straight with the rest of the house. Start off by measure the longest exterior wall and see if it is straight to the plywood then adjust as necessary.

There are more detailed and complicated ways this is just the simplest.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10360 posts
1077 upvotes
Brampton
iismail wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:07 pm
Hi,

Thanks
If you are able to run the floor in one direction (north south) then shoot the line all the way from master bedroom to bedroom 3 across the hallway. Parallel to the exterior walls of master bedroom & bedroom 3. That will tell you is the walls & nosings are parallel. Then you can measure back to a full piece at the nosing or almost full and start from there. If you have more experience you can calculate it and start from the wall in the master bedroom knowing that you will be close to a full piece at the nosing. Don't reply on the plywood because it's not always straight or parallel with the walls. Chalk line & measuring tape is your best friend!
1061 posts
174 upvotes
OTTAWA
Patrob: My house is going to replace the floor carpet with hardwood. Please advise how can be sure the contractor would make a 100% level/even where the hardwood and the porcelain tiles meet. I DO NOT want to have transition insert between the hardwood and the porcelain tiles for the convenient of wheelchair movement . Thanks.

Think of installing Mirage hardwood.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
8650 posts
1439 upvotes
Somewhere
Hey patrob,

What's the best product to remove (to the best of current technology's abilities... I understand magic doesn't exist in the world to remove them completely) hardwood floor scratches?

Do the Rejuvenate products at HD work?
:confused:
Dec 28, 2010
537 posts
16 upvotes
Ajax
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 9:48 am
Hey patrob,

What's the best product to remove (to the best of current technology's abilities... I understand magic doesn't exist in the world to remove them completely) hardwood floor scratches?

Im curious as well. Rejuvenate claims to remove or fill scratches.
Nov 17, 2013
36 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 9:48 am
Hey patrob,

Bellotts wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 10:10 am
Im curious as well. Rejuvenate claims to remove or fill scratches.
Don't waste your money. If your floor is semigloss then you will always see the scratches or filler when the light hits them. If your floor is wire brushed, hand scrapped, or satin/matte finish it'll be easier to hide the scratches with putty or stain markers.

Depending on depth of scratches you can buff and recoat the finish.
Nov 17, 2013
36 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Rockymountain wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2017 10:10 pm
Patrob: My house is going to replace the floor carpet with hardwood. Please advise how can be sure the contractor would make a 100% level/even where the hardwood and the porcelain tiles meet. I DO NOT want to have transition insert between the hardwood and the porcelain tiles for the convenient of wheelchair movement . Thanks.

Think of installing Mirage hardwood.
If the installer can't bevel down or ramp up the floor to tile then you should definitely look for a new installer.

Depending on your tile your hardwood can be much higher or lower than it.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel