Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Mar 30, 2007
171 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
Home Depot is offering an install promo where they install laminate for $900 fixed price (stairs and leveling not included) when you buy the product through them. Is this a good deal? Are the HD laminates good quality? I have about 800 sf I'm thinking of doing so it would work out to $1.13/sf for install. I have existing laminate but not a fan of the colour or darkness.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10512 posts
1124 upvotes
Brampton
tareks wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 11:47 am
Home Depot is offering an install promo where they install laminate for $900 fixed price (stairs and leveling not included) when you buy the product through them. Is this a good deal? Are the HD laminates good quality? I have about 800 sf I'm thinking of doing so it would work out to $1.13/sf for install. I have existing laminate but not a fan of the colour or darkness.
Did you read the fine print? Sounds too low for HD IMO. But if that's what it is then yes it's a good price.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
2 posts
BRAMPTON
Great thread patrob!!

I have surface scratches in my flooring. I made the flooring worse by applying Minwax Reviver. Thought it would conceal some of the scratches but instead I have streak marks throughout the flooring and uneven areas. Lucky for me I only did this in my family room. Could these issues be resolved by screen and coat or would I need to refinish the floors by sanding and re-staining? Don't know what type of flooring I have but thinking it is maple.

Could you recommend a reputable refinishing company in GTA. I live in Brampton.
You can PM me if you want.
Nov 18, 2013
140 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
tareks wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 11:47 am
Is that offered in store only? I don't see it on their website or flyer.
Nov 18, 2013
140 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Any recommendations for what to put under laminate in a basement? I really want to go with dri-core but it might be too thick and decrease our basement height too much. We currently have a moisture problem (thus taking up existing laminate) so I really want to make sure there is air flow under the laminate. Is there something comparable to dri-core that is thinner?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10512 posts
1124 upvotes
Brampton
pinkmanwhite wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 11:58 am
Any recommendations for what to put under laminate in a basement? I really want to go with dri-core but it might be too thick and decrease our basement height too much. We currently have a moisture problem (thus taking up existing laminate) so I really want to make sure there is air flow under the laminate. Is there something comparable to dri-core that is thinner?
Before you install any type of flooring resolve the moisture problem. Why is it there and where is it coming from? Dricore will not resolve it either. There is no underlay that will help. If you block the concrete totally, it will start to mold.
Apr 17, 2005
10512 posts
1124 upvotes
Brampton
HAJKRD wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 5:25 pm
Great thread patrob!!

I have surface scratches in my flooring. I made the flooring worse by applying Minwax Reviver. Thought it would conceal some of the scratches but instead I have streak marks throughout the flooring and uneven areas. Lucky for me I only did this in my family room. Could these issues be resolved by screen and coat or would I need to refinish the floors by sanding and re-staining? Don't know what type of flooring I have but thinking it is maple.

Could you recommend a reputable refinishing company in GTA. I live in Brampton.
You can PM me if you want.
Same of those products can be removed with cleaners to its original finish. Unfortunately scratches will still be there. Screen and coat will only remove light surface scratches. Anything with slight indentation more likely will still be there. Reputable refinishing companies charge $4 sq ft, are you willing to pay that?
171 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
pinkmanwhite wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 11:56 am
Is that offered in store only? I don't see it on their website or flyer.
Yes it was being heavily advertising and pushed in store. I had gone to a couple of different HD stores and as soon as I walked in the flooring section the associates pounced on me telling me about it. I didn't think they worked on commission but now I'm not sure sure. Anyways, I think the promo might be over now though.
Mar 1, 2017
5 posts
Our new Mercier engineered hardwood floor makes snapping sound in some areas when we walk on it. Anyone knows why? It's a floating system on concrete slab in a condo. The contractor did not wait for 24 hours for the glue to dry. They also installed the wood floor in the main hallway first then moved on to the flooring in our master bedroom; other damaged drywalls and window sills in the living room, 2nd bedroom and kitchen. Their table saw was sitting on the newly installed flooring in the hallway. The snapping sound is as loud as firecracker.... I think I want the flooring in the hallway redone. But the contractor doesn't want to take the responsibilities.
What else could be the possible reasons? not enough glue or wrong type of glue?
Is the situation going to be worse in the near future? Is there a way to rectify it? Should I consult a wood flooring installer specialized in the floating system? Could anyone recommend one? Thanks.
Jan 14, 2012
211 posts
22 upvotes
KITCHENER
A Few questions:

1: When taking the carpet off and installing hardwood over an existing floor why do I need to re-screw that plywood before installing new hardwood floors?

2; I should leave how much space between the hardwood and the walls to allow for movement?

3: Should I rip the trip out or keep it, i mean is it easier to install hardwood then install trim after to get the correct height?

4. When looking for a contractor to do the floor do they need a license, insurance?

I am in Ontario.
Dec 28, 2010
888 posts
55 upvotes
Ajax
User274144 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 12:16 am
Our new Mercier engineered hardwood floor makes snapping sound in some areas when we walk on it. Anyone knows why? It's a floating system on concrete slab in a condo. The contractor did not wait for 24 hours for the glue to dry. They also installed the wood floor in the main hallway first then moved on to the flooring in our master bedroom; other damaged drywalls and window sills in the living room, 2nd bedroom and kitchen. Their table saw was sitting on the newly installed flooring in the hallway. The snapping sound is as loud as firecracker.... I think I want the flooring in the hallway redone. But the contractor doesn't want to take the responsibilities.
Is the situation going to be worse in the near future? Is there a way to rectify it? Should I consult a wood flooring installer specialized in the floating system? Could anyone recommend one? Thanks.
My floor does the same thing. Floating click style though. No glue or nails. It's garbage.
Mar 1, 2017
5 posts
Capt., Could you tell me the address of the cheaper wood flooring store? I am actually upset to know that there are two different grades from Mercier... I have a feeling that my neighbor and I had paid full prices for the second grade Mercier wood flooring in Feb. Unfortunately, all the boxes had been recycled. I remember that when I saw the boxes in my neighbor's unit they are not select & better but select "something". I ignored it because I thought that's just the English and French labeling. According to the installer, her wood flooring had a lot of defective pieces. My flooring was installed right after her unit was done. And mine probably had mixture of actual select & better and select plus. Because I have some leftover pieces and they looked different in some details.
This is very confusing. Some dishonest contractors or retailers can take advantages of innocent buyers who have no any wood flooring knowledge. I hope Mercier stopped producing two different grades to confuse customers.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10512 posts
1124 upvotes
Brampton
User274144 wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 12:16 am
From what you're saying it's T&G glue floating floor. Using wrong glue might be a possibility, it may be the wrong underlay, maybe there's some sort of debris under the floor? It may be movement between boards or could be de-laminating. It's hard to determine. You say it's a condo, maybe it's very low humidity? Could be a deflection in the sub-floor/low spot. Placing a table saw on freshly installed floor will not affect it. It might be an easy fix so keep pushing the contractor to come back & look at it so he can determine what is causing the problem.
Apr 17, 2005
10512 posts
1124 upvotes
Brampton
Supperfly wrote:
Apr 1st, 2017 4:50 pm
A Few questions:

1: When taking the carpet off and installing hardwood over an existing floor why do I need to re-screw that plywood before installing new hardwood floors?

2; I should leave how much space between the hardwood and the walls to allow for movement?

3: Should I rip the trip out or keep it, i mean is it easier to install hardwood then install trim after to get the correct height?

4. When looking for a contractor to do the floor do they need a license, insurance?

I am in Ontario.
1) You already have bare sub-floor so it's good to rescrew it to have a more secured sub-floor. It's not something you can do later.
2) If nail down hardwood 1/4"-3/8" is enough.
3) You don't remove casing trim. Casings will be cut to height by the installer. As for baseboards, you install secondary trim like doorstop or quarter round.
4) There is really no license to install floors. Ask for liability insurance but not all of them have it. Not much can go wrong when installing floors, not like with plumbing or electrical.
Apr 17, 2005
10512 posts
1124 upvotes
Brampton
User274144 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2017 5:16 pm
I hope Mercier stopped producing two different grades to confuse customers.
Mercier & many other manufacturers make 2, 3 or even 4 types of grades of hardwood. They officially state it for everybody to know. It's up to you & your contractor/store to let you know the difference between all the grades and if they are not honest, that's a different story. Yes there are some contractors that will charge you for higher grade and supply with lower unfortunately. If you have suspicion you can always request manufacturer's rep to come by & they will tell you what it is.