[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
utopianbl wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2008 10:33 pm
Hey Patrob, if I were to repeat my questions with hope of installing laminate instead of hardwood what would your suggestions be?

thanks so much
So I assume you're asking for a quote :D PM me with more details.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
12 posts
London
patrob wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2008 9:44 pm
For around $10 sq. ft. here in GTA will give you one of the best if not the best products installed. Depending on the price of the wood, it will most likely not include quarter round. You can buy the quarter round primed, small coping or miter saw, finishing nails (hand or pneumatic) & it's easily doable. But it's time taking.
I would rather invest in better wood & save the money on the quarter round.

BTW, what product did they quote you for $9.70?
The quote was for vintage estate white oak and the style was cathedral.
Sep 16, 2008
127 posts
5 upvotes
GTA
I'm wondering if anyone can assist me with a laminate question....the length of my living/dining room is 32'....I've heard that if laminate is laid over too long of a length, it might "buckle" up in the middle.

Any thoughts?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2896 posts
210 upvotes
Hi all,

I'm going to replace the carpet in my home with hardwood. I'm looking at a very dark maple. The problem is that my stairs are a very light oak. Is it possible to change the colour of the stairs to match my new hardwood?

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
paul 22 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2008 9:57 am
The quote was for vintage estate white oak and the style was cathedral.
Kind of high for that wood/colour.
aple wrote:
Sep 24th, 2008 11:09 am
I'm wondering if anyone can assist me with a laminate question....the length of my living/dining room is 32'....I've heard that if laminate is laid over too long of a length, it might "buckle" up in the middle.

Any thoughts?
On the no name products 30 ft. is safe. If you go with Torlys, you can even do 50 ft. with no problems, as per Torlys. We have installed 100 ft.
Torlys with no break & has been beautiful for the past 6 years :)
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
crimsondr wrote:
Sep 24th, 2008 6:55 pm
Hi all,

I'm going to replace the carpet in my home with hardwood. I'm looking at a very dark maple. The problem is that my stairs are a very light oak. Is it possible to change the colour of the stairs to match my new hardwood?

Thanks.
Yes. Either you strip the varnish yourself & finish it or hire someone but it's not cheap & very messy. Obviously the grain on the stairs will be diff. than your smooth maple floors but if you use the matching stain, it will look fine.
2896 posts
210 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Sep 24th, 2008 10:23 pm
Yes. Either you strip the varnish yourself & finish it or hire someone but it's not cheap & very messy. Obviously the grain on the stairs will be diff. than your smooth maple floors but if you use the matching stain, it will look fine.
Do you have a ballpark figure or range for "not cheap"?
Aug 31, 2008
12 posts
London
[quote="patrob" post_id="7472028" time="1222309163" user_id="23393"]Kind of high for that wood/colour.

What would be a more appropriate price?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40712 posts
4465 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Anyone have those fake hardwood floors? How do they look in real life? They seem good in pictures but then again everything looks good in pics...
You know those "hard wood floors" that come in big squares, kinda like a big tile. They have the shape/design/grain that simulate hardwood floors.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
crimsondr wrote:
Sep 25th, 2008 9:38 am
Do you have a ballpark figure or range for "not cheap"?
Easily $2K plus...depending on stairs, pickets, nosings, handrail, etc.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
paul 22 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2008 10:34 am
What would be a more appropriate price?
Closer to $9 or less.
Apr 17, 2005
10892 posts
1314 upvotes
Brampton
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 25th, 2008 10:34 am
Anyone have those fake hardwood floors? How do they look in real life? They seem good in pictures but then again everything looks good in pics...
You know those "hard wood floors" that come in big squares, kinda like a big tile. They have the shape/design/grain that simulate hardwood floors.
Do you mean mosaic parquet?
6858 posts
217 upvotes
Ontario
Without reading through 61 pages, what's a reasonable price for hardwood installation?
(I have some angles around the fireplace and there is one large angle where it meets tile)
Jun 5, 2005
396 posts
Hey guys,

Question for you all.

Im working around some 3/4" stair nosing... of course the nosing has a groove... the hardwood that Ill be installing against it also needs to go groove side against the stair nosing so I can nail the tounge. Im going to spline the two pieces together of course with glue in the grooves... would you bother with top nailing the hardwood at that point or no? Doesnt seem to be much sense to splining if you're going to top nail no?

Thnx for the advice!
Sep 26, 2008
481 posts
98 upvotes
Ottawa
I wouldn't bother with top nailing. You'll nail the tongue as you continue out past the nosing. That should be sufficient to me, although I'm no pro!