Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Nov 30, 2011
687 posts
167 upvotes
GTA
amb1190 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 5:26 am
Lastly.... Thoughts on doing the entire second level, bedrooms and hallway with hardwood? (i've only ever had carpet upstairs!) would you use the same flooring as on the main level?
We are moving into a new build next week. We have 3 bedrooms on the 2nd floor. Master is across the back with 2 good size rooms at the front.

We decided to rip up carpet from master and hallway and put down hardwood. While we don't have kids we thought that someone with kids may like to have their rooms carpeted. Warmer, quieter oh, and quieter in front rooms below.
May 18, 2008
73 posts
3 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 11:16 pm
Your floors don't have to be exactly the same as the stairs as long as they are close. You can change the colour of the stairs but you need to totally re-sand it and it's a lot of work.

You can still remove it to raise it if it will bother you. Otherwise don't bother just install doorstop moulding. Anything from $1 sq ft to $3 sq ft, the better contractors will charge more than $2 sq ft plus.
What does that 2-3$ include though? Speers flooring states 2.5$/sqft but when they actually came for a quote it turned into 5-6$/sqft as he charged me for carpet removal, nails, transitions...etc That did not even include moving the furniture which he said we would have to do ourselves.
Nov 17, 2013
49 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
xrox wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:12 am
What does that 2-3$ include though? Speers flooring states 2.5$/sqft but when they actually came for a quote it turned into 5-6$/sqft as he charged me for carpet removal, nails, transitions...etc That did not even include moving the furniture which he said we would have to do ourselves.
$2-3 per sq ft is just for installing the hardwood. Each aspect of the job is priced individually. You might have 600 sq ft of hardwood to install but 400 carpet and 200 existing hardwood to be removed and disposed. Carpet removal & disposal will go around .80-1.50 and hardwood between $1-1.75. For that kind of pricing nails and paper should be included, but stores will have higher prices due to overhead and paying subcontractors piece work.
Apr 22, 2017
2 posts
I'm considering herringbone hardwood floor for about 350sqf area..
how much does herringbone installation cost per sqf? I heard its more expensive compare to regular hardwood floor installation.
Apr 22, 2017
2 posts
Biscayne05 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 1:01 am
How does one check for humidity and moisture content? Is this something homeowners can do on their own?

Also, how does this quote sound? (based on usual 3/4' hardwood + baseboard)

Upper level rooms (contractor says total of 650 sq ft @ $6500)

17.6 x 11.1
10 x 10.7
10 x 10.7
10.3 x 10.6

Lower level livingroom/"great room" @ $4000

10.5 x 10
10.5 x 10
*open concept but these are the measurements that were given

Stairs @ $2500 (unfortunately I wasn't able to count the number of steps)

$12k for all the work. It's one thing I don't want to cut corners on but also don't want to blow the budget as I've got other things to reno.

I'm really clueless when it comes to brands ,etc , but the same contractor did my friend's flooring and it looks great + no complains from my friend who's had his home for ~ 3yrs now. Is it right for me to ask what brand he's using?

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10581 posts
1154 upvotes
Brampton
FattyKitty wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 12:52 pm
I'm considering herringbone hardwood floor for about 350sqf area..
how much does herringbone installation cost per sqf? I heard its more expensive compare to regular hardwood floor installation.
There's no set price for labour but yes it's very pricey due to the amount of work that's required.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10581 posts
1154 upvotes
Brampton
amb1190 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:33 am
Thank you for the response! :) any opinions on Totem, Lauzon, Laurentian or Cashmere hardwood? Looking for something made in Canada. Thanks!!
Never heard of Totem or Cashmere. Go with either Lauzon or Laurentian but Vintage/Mirage is also Canadian & I would recommend that first.
Apr 17, 2005
10581 posts
1154 upvotes
Brampton
Steaky wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 1:35 pm
Hi everyone. I'm fixing up a rental property and doing hardwood for both the main floor and the basement.

Would you kind people please recommend some brands that are durable and economic?
For basement go with laminate, more durable & cheaper especially for a rental property. For main floor since it's a rental property you can try handscraped or distressed engineered hardwood for better stability or you can even go with distressed laminate for more durability. Try different local hardwood flooring stores & I am sure you will find something there.
124 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Know not the best question - but any recommended installers for hardwood? Contemplating between 150 sq ft family room only (can do it with the wife) vs the whole house where it is carpeted(say around 900 sq ft without the stairs).....want to buy a pet and thought best to get the carpet out.
Apr 10, 2017
393 posts
105 upvotes
Patrob and LionHardWood,

so now that I have some sense on the pricing for hardwood, what do you think of this:

I pay for hardwood + baseboard and my contractor does carpet removal (600sq ft) + installation (total work is approx 770sq ft) = I pay the contractor $5 per sq foot for the job

Note: My contractor will be doing other jobs for me and not just flooring. Flooring and 3 baths are the biggest jobs in the home.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1831 posts
292 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Can you recommend any good quality Vinyl flooring manufacturer ?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10581 posts
1154 upvotes
Brampton
abhi wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 11:12 am
Know not the best question - but any recommended installers for hardwood? Contemplating between 150 sq ft family room only (can do it with the wife) vs the whole house where it is carpeted(say around 900 sq ft without the stairs).....want to buy a pet and thought best to get the carpet out.
If you're thinking about getting a medium to larger dog then I definitely recommend some sort of laminate rather than hardwood unless you are willing to live with potential scratches etc. Small dogs you will be ok with distressed hardwood. Any sort of smooth finish floors will show scratches.
Apr 17, 2005
10581 posts
1154 upvotes
Brampton
toyopl wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 8:37 am
Can you recommend any good quality Vinyl flooring manufacturer ?
Vinyl plank flooring or vinyl rolls? If planks, Torlys EverWood makes a great product.
Last edited by patrob on Apr 25th, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 6, 2008
1831 posts
292 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
patrob wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 10:31 pm
Vinyl plank flooring or vinyl rolls? If planks, Torlys Everest makes a great product.
Yes Vinyl Planks, looking for something decent for basement.
I see Laminate on their website but not Vinyl.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10581 posts
1154 upvotes
Brampton
toyopl wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 11:03 pm
Yes Vinyl Planks, looking for something decent for basement.
I see Laminate on their website but not Vinyl.
Sorry it's EverWood not Everest.

http://www.torlys.com/residential/produ ... -evertile/

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)