Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Nov 22, 2017
1 posts
Hello. I need some helping finding a hard wood floor trim. I live in a rental and my dog chewed part of the floor, so I need to repair it.

Does anyone know where I can find something like this? I it flat and very thin. I went to Rona and Home Depot but they dont have anything similar.
Any help or advice is much appreciated!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
malaujai wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:47 pm
Is it true that for wider planks (like more than 5") that gluing down is an absolute must? I'm considering a mercier 6.5" product and I've heard conflicting opinions...
Only if the manufacturer recommends it. Most of them don't require gluing and BTW gluing the hardwood will not stop it from expanding and contracting.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
hoob wrote:
Nov 19th, 2017 8:34 pm
Patrob, can you confirm my planned technique is good:

* Home line base on the outside (left) wall
* Do the math for plank width and set home line at proper distance so stair tread nosing can be used as is
* What standard riser thickness should I presume when lining up the nosing (stairs will be done after) 1/2, 5/8, or 3/4? ** If you are resurfacing the stairs, the risers are 1/2" but may be thicker.
* Rip the first row of boards as needed based on resulting home line (the outside wall is a bit wobbly anyway so basically scribing to it)
* Surface nail the first/ripped row
* Install left to right up to the nosing
* Transition or reducer as required to match up to the tile in the bathroom (I think it will be about 1/4" lower)
* For the nosing, bury on end under the door trim, and cut the other end at 45 degrees
* Should I surface nail and glue the nosing pieces? I'm thinking yes based on what I've read? ** Yes, nosing should be glued and nailed
* Complete the open side of the staircase with another piece of nosing with another small nub at the end to round off
* Build out the rooms on each side independently

* What technique is recommended to solidly join the 90 degree nosing miter -- I'm not set up to do any biscuit joinery. I was thinking to drill some holes slightly larger than some small hardwood pegs, and will with PL/dowel and set in place and align and let the glue/hole/dowels solidify tightly. ** It's 45 degree, just cut it nicely tight, glue it to subfloor and together. No biscuit joining necessary. You don't really step on the mitre joints.

Top of stairs nosing area before prep:

As usual thanks for the ongoing input and consideration and advice for this thread.. In about two weeks exactly, you'll hit the 10th Anniversary (threadiversary?) -- I hope you have some fine bubbly planned or something ;)
You have the right idea about the rest. Answers above in **bold. lol forgot it will be 10 years already :D
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
kelloggsibc wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 1:15 am
Hello. I need some helping finding a hard wood floor trim. I live in a rental and my dog chewed part of the floor, so I need to repair it.

Does anyone know where I can find something like this? I it flat and very thin. I went to Rona and Home Depot but they dont have anything similar.
Any help or advice is much appreciated!
Pic doesn't work. But regardless, specialized hardwood flooring store will have everything.
7 posts
Opinion about BUILDER's PRIDE Mocha Oak Solid hardwood 3/4*3/4 from Lumber liquidators ?
Apr 5, 2017
7 posts
What's your opinion about BUILDER's PRIDE Mocha Oak Solid hardwood 3/4*3/4 from Lumber liquidators ?
Nov 17, 2013
53 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
malaujai wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2017 3:47 pm
Is it true that for wider planks (like more than 5") that gluing down is an absolute must? I'm considering a mercier 6.5" product and I've heard conflicting opinions...
Unless you can maintain consistent humidity throughout the year I would definitely at least nail with glue assist.

Hardwood expands and contracts with humidity, the wider the plank the more amplified the expanding/shrinking will be.

Using a glue such as Bona r850 or wakol will hold the planks in place but still allow for movement.
Dec 12, 2007
140 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Looking for a contractor to install hardwood

does anyone know any good ones?

please pm me if you do !

Thanks !
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5025 posts
4953 upvotes
Toronto
patrob wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2007 7:09 pm
I thought I would start The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread, since there are many people always asking for hardwood flooring advice/help.

Since I have knowledge on the topic, just ask away if you have any specific questions ;)

Happy 10th Thread Anniversary, patrob and all others who have helped!
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
hoob wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:09 pm
Happy 10th Thread Anniversary, patrob!
Wow it is today Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesThumbs Up SignThumbs Up Sign How time flies! Thanks for reminding me lol Winking Face

Hopefully I can get a few more "thumbs up" in the score section Thumbs Up Sign☺️
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
LionHardwoodFlooring wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 2:37 pm
Unless you can maintain consistent humidity throughout the year I would definitely at least nail with glue assist.

Hardwood expands and contracts with humidity, the wider the plank the more amplified the expanding/shrinking will be.

Using a glue such as Bona r850 or wakol will hold the planks in place but still allow for movement.
Bona is a great adhesive, it's an expanding adhesive (doesn't cure hard) it will bond the floor to the subfloor but it will not stop expansion and contraction, nothing can except for maintaining proper RH levels. Some manufacturers suggest glue assist on a wider planks but not necessary on engineered products.
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
macwhitby wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 9:24 am
What's your opinion about BUILDER's PRIDE Mocha Oak Solid hardwood 3/4*3/4 from Lumber liquidators ?
I have no opinion on any products from LL.
7 posts
I think all the stores like Home Depot , Lowe’s, lumber liquidators, they all are getting product form the same place but under different brand names, warranty and specifications. So people cannot compare apples to Apple and cannot price match...
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
macwhitby wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 9:02 pm
I think all the stores like Home Depot , Lowe’s, lumber liquidators, they all are getting product form the same place but under different brand names, warranty and specifications. So people cannot compare apples to Apple and cannot price match...
That's not necessarily true. There's many different manufacturers and they are not all the same. I would look at professional hardwood flooring stores rather than big box stores and especially any liquidator stores! I personally would never buy anything at LL.
1045 posts
136 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Hi,

I've read about the last 100 pages and wanted to find out what brands would be recommended for engineered hardwood in the 7" variety. I looked at many of the brands recommended here and some only go up to 5".

Looking for something like this:
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Anyone know what type of wood and texture this is just by looking at the pictures?