The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5025 posts
4953 upvotes
Toronto
ol2006 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2017 6:58 pm
No, it's solid oak. Some Chinese store on Steeles. If you really into doing it yourself, I can find the address.
Anyone know what this place is? Too many reviews of composite veneer stair treads delaminating after months of use..
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1030 posts
81 upvotes
Ajax
Question for you Patrob as well as others.

Installer put down our floors with less than 6" spacing between end joints.

Manufacturer installation instructions state spacing Must be 6" or more. It wasn't a recommendation it was a requirement.

What's industry standard regarding this?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
2heaven wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 11:59 pm
Hi,

I've read about the last 100 pages and wanted to find out what brands would be recommended for engineered hardwood in the 7" variety. I looked at many of the brands recommended here and some only go up to 5".

Looking for something like this:

Anyone know what type of wood and texture this is just by looking at the pictures?
Manufacturer like Vintage makes 7" products. You can also look at Hakwood or Monarch Plank and their widths go up much higher. They have products similar to what you have on the picture. It's hard to say exactly since not the best quality pic, could be washed walnut or elm.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
Bellotts wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:57 pm
Question for you Patrob as well as others.

Installer put down our floors with less than 6" spacing between end joints.

Manufacturer installation instructions state spacing Must be 6" or more. It wasn't a recommendation it was a requirement.

What's industry standard regarding this?
You keep having bad luck with those installers lol There is really no definite standard for spacing. It's more common sense and esthetics. Some products will not allow you to do bigger spacing because there's no variety of lengths to play with. It's pretty much up to the installer to make it look good. If you were at home during installation, you should have mentioned something.
1030 posts
81 upvotes
Ajax
patrob wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:36 pm
You keep having bad luck with those installers lol There is really no definite standard for spacing. It's more common sense and esthetics. Some products will not allow you to do bigger spacing because there's no variety of lengths to play with. It's pretty much up to the installer to make it look good. If you were at home during installation, you should have mentioned something.
Tell me about it. Lol worst luck ever. I wasn't around since it was a new construction.

So the fact that it says in the instructions that you must maintain 6" or more means nothing? I have no leg to stand on?
Aug 18, 2014
367 posts
197 upvotes
Markham, ON
Bellotts wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:36 am
Tell me about it. Lol worst luck ever. I wasn't around since it was a new construction.

So the fact that it says in the instructions that you must maintain 6" or more means nothing? I have no leg to stand on?
Are you talking about a few boards with too little spacing on end joint?
Or more like a "systematic" problem where a large portion is like that?

If you are talking about a few random boards (e.g. even 10-20 spots out of 800sqft), pretty sure that's not a problem.

But if a large portion (e.g 20-30%+) of the joints are < 5". I'd be very concerned with stability...
There is a reason why people stagger the brick when they build a wall with it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
malaujai wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:32 pm
Slight tangent, but any idea on how effective (or harmful) this would be for hardwood floors? https://www.costco.ca/Shark-Lift-Away-P ... 90445.html
Steam mops are NOT recommended by any flooring manufacturer! And you lose your warranty when you use them!
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
Bellotts wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:36 am

But if the manufacturer instructions states that about the spacing, then the instructions should be followed and looks like you might have a leg to stand on.
90 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Hi Patrob,

Could you share with me the contact of this refinisher? My house is in Maple, with old thin strips of oak. Looking to restain to a darker color if possible. Thanks!
patrob wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 9:58 pm
I have a great refinisher but unfortunately he doesn't go that far east. Good luck with your project!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5025 posts
4953 upvotes
Toronto
hoob wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:33 pm
Anyone know what this place is? Too many reviews of composite veneer stair treads delaminating after months of use..
FYI having looked further, I have found that Rona has solid oak treads and risers, not terrible expensive. Solid == all oak, but it is jointed wood (for me that's fine, others might care and need to seek out single-blank solid treads.)

Currently (at time of posting) there is a 20% discount on both, ie 36" solid 1" tread is $15.99 and 36" solid 3/4" riser is $11.19.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2014
3405 posts
736 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi patrob,

I recently just finished a MAJOR renovation of all bathrooms and kitchen in my house. My existing hardwood floors around the rest of my house which are a few years old are now filled with dust in between the spacing of the planks.

A simple sweep or vacuum does not get rid of the dust. What would you suggest?
signature removed for rule violation. no referrals allowed.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
justinkty wrote:
Dec 11th, 2017 2:59 pm
I am about to go for this engineered wood flooring from Ideal Wood Brand Urban Genius Collection.

However, I am unable to search on any review related to this brand.

Do you happened to have any experience with this manufacturer ? Thank You.

http://idealwood.ca/product-details/col ... se-cherry/
Never heard of them.
Apr 17, 2005
10614 posts
1170 upvotes
Brampton
ar2020 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 3:53 pm
Hi patrob,

I recently just finished a MAJOR renovation of all bathrooms and kitchen in my house. My existing hardwood floors around the rest of my house which are a few years old are now filled with dust in between the spacing of the planks.

A simple sweep or vacuum does not get rid of the dust. What would you suggest?
Find a short fine bristle brush and go on your knees and dry brush each line then vacuum. Don't wet it because it will harden and will be harder to remove. During any sort of renovation, floor should be perfectly covered for that reason.