Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Dec 12, 2007
294 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
What type of materials would you recommend to fix small chip on hardwood and wax / polish without having to refinish ?
Dec 24, 2017
1 posts
Hi Patrob, We bought a 30 year old home at Oakville. Will get possession in mid January, 2018. We have parquet floor on the main floor and laminate in kitchen. We want to remove and install white/red oak. Also we want to remove carpet on the upper floor and install same hardwood. For basement we want to remove carpet and want to install laminate. Do you know someone can help? Our above floor is 2200 sqrt and basement around 1000 sqft.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
malaujai wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2017 5:08 pm
Looking to install a humidifier in my home... Any recommendations on model/brand?

I was given a quote of $490 + tax for supply and install of an Aprilaire 400 by my dad's HVAC guy... There's a good rapport there so I haven't yet gone to homestars companies, but when I looked at them online, it seems they all push different brands of humdifiers hence my question here
That's a good question in the HVAC thread, they should help you there. I'm not familiar with current prices and model numbers. I have GeneralAire humidifier 1099 I believe.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
phoenix_bladen wrote:
Dec 24th, 2017 1:38 am
What type of materials would you recommend to fix small chip on hardwood and wax / polish without having to refinish ?
Get a colour matching putty pencil. As for wax polish don't recommend anything for prefinished hardwood.
294 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
patrob wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 1:26 am
Get a colour matching putty pencil. As for wax polish don't recommend anything for prefinished hardwood.
thanks for the tips !
Apr 10, 2017
535 posts
188 upvotes
abhi wrote:
Dec 27th, 2017 1:36 am
hi, mind if we ask where and for how much did u get it for? please and thanks
Floors Direct West in Mississauga

I didn't end up getting them because of supply issues. The 5 inch version is a custom order and they don't stock it. You must really want it and plan ahead (12 wk lead time).

Ended up with Fuzion Oak Sonata. Everyone loves my floor. It's the first thing they say/notice when they go inside my home.
Jan 10, 2011
363 posts
69 upvotes
GTA
is there a laminate thread? or is this thread for laminate too?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
mfiguei wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 3:20 pm
is there a laminate thread? or is this thread for laminate too?
There's a big Costco laminate thread but what's your question?
294 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Question for the railings on the 2nd floor.

If the hardwood is higher than the railings spindle, should the railings be raised and levelled? Or can the hardwood slant down to meet the lower railing spindle, would that look bad?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
phoenix_bladen wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 3:58 pm
Question for the railings on the 2nd floor.

If the hardwood is higher than the railings spindle, should the railings be raised and levelled? Or can the hardwood slant down to meet the lower railing spindle, would that look bad?
Yes will look bad. The nosing should be raised to height. It could create a fall hazard at the first step if not flush.
294 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
patrob wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 7:57 pm
Yes will look bad. The nosing should be raised to height. It could create a fall hazard at the first step if not flush.
Wow, I did not even think about the fall hazard. Thanks for your suggestion.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5221 posts
5110 upvotes
Toronto
patrob wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 1:46 pm
If you are looking for a handscraped product most of it comes in Solid Sawn which I personally prefer over NSS, the boards are just more rigid. Everybody will have different pricing but once you decide on the product you want, you just have to call around for best pricing.
After an extended schedule, flooring complete aside from some backordered nosing. The Vintage product was excellent with, literally, only 4 planks rejected due to bad milling/beveling out of 340sf installed (17 boxes.) I have a full two boxes leftover.

Had some fun and put a secret storage area in the floor of the closet:

Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Jul 30, 2011
294 posts
145 upvotes
Durham region
It's - 20 outside.

The humidity in my house is 16%.

If I were to install 5" plan 3/4" hardwood this month, what consideration must I make? Do I require washer gaps? How do know how many gaps to make if so?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
incongruent wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 9:01 pm
It's - 20 outside.

The humidity in my house is 16%.

If I were to install 5" plan 3/4" hardwood this month, what consideration must I make? Do I require washer gaps? How do know how many gaps to make if so?
Bring your humidity of the house up to 40% for minimum of a week, then bring the wood to the house. Compare the moisture of the wood to the moisture of the subfloor, should be within 6 points (ideally 4 or less) and then install it. It's hard and pretty much taking chances with spacing the wood because of lower humidity, you just can't predict what will happen. But if you are installing engineered hardwood, which I hope you are, increase the humidity in the house by what's recommended by the manufacturer. But regardless you should keep your humidity stable throughout the year within 40-50%. Your low humidity will suck out all the moisture out of the wood.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)