[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
hoob wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:55 pm
After an extended schedule, flooring complete aside from some backordered nosing. The Vintage product was excellent with, literally, only 4 planks rejected due to bad milling/beveling out of 340sf installed (17 boxes.) I have a full two boxes leftover.

Had some fun and put a secret storage area in the floor of the closet:

Great job Thumbs Up Sign And good idea with the secret storage!
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
3 posts
Hi Patrick, first time on here so hope I post correctly. Our builder is offering us a large selection of hardwood to choose from through their flooring supplier's store. Wondering if you have any knowledge or feedback on these two products I've narrowed it down to. One is Torly's Super Solid 5 Handscraped Oak Foothills (engineered) & the other is Preverco Ash Santa Fe Brushed Texture. I was told that while Torly's is also Canadian owned like Preverco, it's product is made in China but made to North American regulated higher standards. Both seem attractive options as I need pet friendly. I know you've mentioned Birch & Maple not being as hard as oak but how does the ash I mention above compare? Thanks!
Jul 30, 2011
294 posts
145 upvotes
Durham region
patrob wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 9:38 pm
Bring your humidity of the house up to 40% for minimum of a week.
How? Buy a furnace humidifier? Isn't it normal to have low humidity in -20 temps?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5219 posts
5108 upvotes
Toronto
incongruent wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 11:01 pm
How? Buy a furnace humidifier? Isn't it normal to have low humidity in -20 temps?
Simmer a stock bot or pasta pot full of water on the stove non-stop for a few days (not overnight and only when you are in the house, for safety.)
Revolutionary times must on occasion make do with considerable abridgements in order to accentuate the political line more strongly.
Dec 4, 2016
539 posts
202 upvotes
hoob wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 12:21 am
Simmer a stock bot or pasta pot full of water on the stove non-stop for a few days (not overnight and only when you are in the house, for safety.)
Buy an electric humidifier with automatic shutoff, from the drug store. Safer than leaving the burner of stove on. Or replace the mesh of your furnace's humidifier.
Apr 3, 2006
980 posts
230 upvotes
incongruent wrote:
That is the reason for a humidifier! If you don't have a furnace with humidifier and cannot control the humidity above 35% consistently you should not be installing hardwood. Simple.
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
Jul 30, 2011
294 posts
145 upvotes
Durham region
I read in -20 temperature, humidity should not be that high. http://www.dougtarryhomes.com/articles/ ... propriate/

Anyway the house is 22% now that it's near zero the last few days.
dling7 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 2:15 pm
That is the reason for a humidifier! If you don't have a furnace with humidifier and cannot control the humidity above 35% consistently you should not be installing hardwood. Simple.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
Hope099317 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 1:58 am
Hi Patrick, first time on here so hope I post correctly. Our builder is offering us a large selection of hardwood to choose from through their flooring supplier's store. Wondering if you have any knowledge or feedback on these two products I've narrowed it down to. One is Torly's Super Solid 5 Handscraped Oak Foothills (engineered) & the other is Preverco Ash Santa Fe Brushed Texture. I was told that while Torly's is also Canadian owned like Preverco, it's product is made in China but made to North American regulated higher standards. Both seem attractive options as I need pet friendly. I know you've mentioned Birch & Maple not being as hard as oak but how does the ash I mention above compare? Thanks!
Ash has very similar look to oak. IMO I would go with Preverco. Torlys is great with laminate.
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
incongruent wrote:
Not that low. Central humidifier is not sufficient enough to increase humidity from 16%. You may need a portable humidifier (not the little one from Walmart) together with central humidifier.
264 posts
102 upvotes
Ok. I am picking flooring for a 1100 sq foot condo. Options are
  • laminate, this is a standard option.
  • Hardwood option 2, cost $5600
  • Hardwood option 3, cost $9200
Option 2 is 1/4 particle board and 1/8 or 1/6 inch wood veneer.

Option 3 is may be 1/4 inch plywood and then wood veneer.

If I was to go with laminate, what is the after market cost of getting laminate replaced and getting a decent hardwood floor installed. Total square footage where hardwoood is required might be 950 sq foot. Is builder offering a good deals?
Jul 30, 2011
294 posts
145 upvotes
Durham region
Ok. So I'm about to get 75 boxes delivered to my house from lowes.

Will they just unload it on my driveway? My garage? Carry into my front room? What arey delivery options?

How high can I stack these boxes and what was your strategy for where to put all that wood while you're waiting to start the work?
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11260 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
Make a space in your front room and put down tarp. Let the wood acclimatize to the interior temperature that way--for a few days. (You really didn't figure this out prior to arranging delivery?)
incongruent wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 8:56 am

Will they just unload it on my driveway? My garage? Carry into my front room? What arey delivery options?

How high can I stack these boxes and what was your strategy for where to put all that wood while you're waiting to start the work?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
chicu1981 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:55 pm
Ok. I am picking flooring for a 1100 sq foot condo. Options are
  • laminate, this is a standard option.
  • Hardwood option 2, cost $5600
  • Hardwood option 3, cost $9200
Option 2 is 1/4 particle board and 1/8 or 1/6 inch wood veneer.

Option 3 is may be 1/4 inch plywood and then wood veneer.

If I was to go with laminate, what is the after market cost of getting laminate replaced and getting a decent hardwood floor installed. Total square footage where hardwoood is required might be 950 sq foot. Is builder offering a good deals?
If it's single plank laminate, then stay with laminate. It will be easier and cheaper to go with the builder for hardwood. Most contractors don't want to deal with condos due to restricted work hours, inaccessibility, etc. and they charge extra because of that. In the end will cost you more than the builder but you might be able to get a nicer product and not limited to what builder offers.
Apr 17, 2005
10721 posts
1234 upvotes
Brampton
incongruent wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 8:56 am

You should confirm with Lowes but wood should be inside the house not garage! Is the wood wrapped in plastic?
34 posts
7 upvotes
In the process of deciding between the Kronotex Superior Evolution 12mm (7" w x 60" long) and the Torly's Elka 12mm (7.5" w x 49" long). Between the Kronotex and Torly's which is a better product and why?

I am trying to figure out which way to best lay down laminate flooring. Should I lay it down as A throughout the entire basement (not including the Mech and Workshop area) or should I lay it down as B? Initial thought tells me I should run it as A, but I'm not sure since if running it B will make the room look wider and nicer? The large open area measures approximately (36' long x 17' wide), theatre room measures (17' long x 15' wide)