[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10790 posts
1267 upvotes
Brampton
kevkwan wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 8:30 am
In the process of deciding between the Kronotex Superior Evolution 12mm (7" w x 60" long) and the Torly's Elka 12mm (7.5" w x 49" long). Between the Kronotex and Torly's which is a better product and why?

I am trying to figure out which way to best lay down laminate flooring. Should I lay it down as A throughout the entire basement (not including the Mech and Workshop area) or should I lay it down as B? Initial thought tells me I should run it as A, but I'm not sure since if running it B will make the room look wider and nicer? The large open area measures approximately (36' long x 17' wide), theatre room measures (17' long x 15' wide)

Torlys made laminate pretty much perfect. Their locking system is one of the best in the world therefore I would choose Torlys laminate over any other product. Torlys also offers longer planks. I would install in direction A.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Aug 16, 2009
1431 posts
299 upvotes
incongruent wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 8:56 am
Ok. So I'm about to get 75 boxes delivered to my house from lowes.

Will they just unload it on my driveway? My garage? Carry into my front room? What arey delivery options?

How high can I stack these boxes and what was your strategy for where to put all that wood while you're waiting to start the work?
I ordered 50 hardwood boxes from Lowes last spring. They simply unloaded the skid onto my driveway. I had to bring it inside the house.

If you have a clear path to your garage they might be able to put it there.
Sep 9, 2004
95 posts
12 upvotes
Durham
I'm looking for Canadian Red Oak Sierra Hardwood flooring. I've got some pricing from a local shop but looking for a better deal. Any supplier around? We are in durham region. thx
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10790 posts
1267 upvotes
Brampton
animex wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 1:01 am
I'm looking for Canadian Red Oak Sierra Hardwood flooring. I've got some pricing from a local shop but looking for a better deal. Any supplier around? We are in durham region. thx
Sounds like Sierra is the colour not the manufacturer. You just have to call around different dealers and compare.
3 posts
patrob wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:23 pm
Ash has very similar look to oak. IMO I would go with Preverco. Torlys is great with laminate.
Advice taken, thanks Patrick.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2005
1051 posts
139 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Quick question about nosings when installing flooring.

I am getting Vintage White Oak natural floors installed, and require nosing to be put in where the stairs start on the 2nd floor and 1st floor going to the basement + where the stair spindles are.

My flooring contractor is telling me that he has to install red oak nosings as white oak is not common and much more expensive. Is this true? If so, how do we make sure that the colors/stains match between the floors and the nosings. Would anyone know a good person I could contact in regards to stairs and nosings?

Thanks in advance!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10790 posts
1267 upvotes
Brampton
2heaven wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 9:59 am
Quick question about nosings when installing flooring.

I am getting Vintage White Oak natural floors installed, and require nosing to be put in where the stairs start on the 2nd floor and 1st floor going to the basement + where the stair spindles are.

My flooring contractor is telling me that he has to install red oak nosings as white oak is not common and much more expensive. Is this true? If so, how do we make sure that the colors/stains match between the floors and the nosings. Would anyone know a good person I could contact in regards to stairs and nosings?

Thanks in advance!
Most common stair cases, nosings are red oak stained to match various other types of flooring. In natural there will be little bit of difference between white and red oak. So now what are your stairs? And do you want to match to your stairs or your floor? You can get nosings made in white oak and it shouldn't be a problem to find it. If you are willing to pay for it, your contractor should get it for you.
1051 posts
139 upvotes
Oakville, ON
patrob wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 8:12 pm
Most common stair cases, nosings are red oak stained to match various other types of flooring. In natural there will be little bit of difference between white and red oak. So now what are your stairs? And do you want to match to your stairs or your floor? You can get nosings made in white oak and it shouldn't be a problem to find it. If you are willing to pay for it, your contractor should get it for you.
If we use a water-based polyurethane coating on the red oak, how close will the color be to the white oak flooring? The stairs are currently red oak - the plan was to buy red oak treads, but have the spindle nosings white oak. We also need nosings for other places in the home as well, and we wanted those to white oak if possible as well.

Is it usually significantly more costly to get white oak nosings? Like 2x or 3x?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10790 posts
1267 upvotes
Brampton
2heaven wrote:
Jan 24th, 2018 9:13 pm
If we use a water-based polyurethane coating on the red oak, how close will the color be to the white oak flooring? The stairs are currently red oak - the plan was to buy red oak treads, but have the spindle nosings white oak. We also need nosings for other places in the home as well, and we wanted those to white oak if possible as well.

Is it usually significantly more costly to get white oak nosings? Like 2x or 3x?
If you are getting red oak treads then you should get nosings, handrail also in red oak so entire staircase matches. Yes you can order white oak treads but you have to go to stair companies not from HD, they are not that much more expensive. In natural finish, regardless what varnish you use, red oak nosing will definitely be more orangey yellow than white oak. Some people don't see that much difference but I do.
144 posts
7 upvotes
Need to replace hardwood floor in a small area on the dining room and maybe a few touch up of scratches. Can anyone recommmend a good contractor.
Image[/img]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10790 posts
1267 upvotes
Brampton
colorwolf wrote:
Jan 28th, 2018 8:45 am
Need to replace hardwood floor in a small area on the dining room and maybe a few touch up of scratches. Can anyone recommmend a good contractor.
ImageImage
Fixed your pics (at least one of them). Might help to show your location under your username.
120 posts
56 upvotes
York, ON
Hey guys. I'm about to embark on a DIY flooring project. I currently have carpet onto of parquet. Going to do this the right way and rip out the carpet and parquet and install laminate directly on the base floor. I googled around for tools and would like to know if these will be enough for floor and stairs:

Miter saw
Stair tread gauge (make it myself)
Rubber mallet
Nail gun

I also noticed some videos add a plastic protection cover between the floor and laminate, do you guys think it's good to do that ? Or is it based on certain situation where you need to add it ?
Feb 18, 2013
197 posts
19 upvotes
Scarborough
Hello everyone,

Looking into some engineered hardwood flooring to replace some older hardwood in our current home.

Has anyone had any experience with Mannington flooring products? We're looking at these two engineered hardwoods specifically:

1) https://www.mannington.com/Residential/ ... 7LAV1.aspx

cheapest I could find is $8.58 per sq/f

2) https://www.mannington.com/Residential/ ... /MSN07BIS1

cheapest I could find is $8.99 per sq/f

Thanks!
Feb 4, 2018
1 posts
I am undecided whether to install laminate or hardwood in my basement. My contractor told me he could get both and the hardwood will cost around $1.50-1.75 (material and install) more per Sq. ft. Are there any other considerations such as any disadvantage of having hardwood in the basement compared to laminate - it will be a legal basement apartment and I do have insurance coverage? thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)