Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6389 posts
6975 upvotes
GTA
bacid1 wrote: Has anyone here done stairs to match vintage white oak nautilus? If so can you share which stain matched the best. It would save me some trial and error. Thanks in advance.
One option is to take a sample of your Vintage White Oak Nautilus to a reputable Paint Store (ie. Benjamin Moore or one recommended) in your area and ask them to provide a couple of samples that closely match.

Are you planning on DIY staining of stairs?
Mar 16, 2004
545 posts
256 upvotes
Yes have installed before just at current house is a traditional color and much easier to match. One option is to bring to Sherwin and get advice since they carry minimax, I've had good success with that product.
mzmoney wrote: One option is to take a sample of your Vintage White Oak Nautilus to a reputable Paint Store (ie. Benjamin Moore or one recommended) in your area and ask them to provide a couple of samples that closely match.

Are you planning on DIY staining of stairs?
May 9, 2020
16 posts
10 upvotes
Hi all spent a lot of time reading through this thread. Lots of folks are recommending AA floors. Does anyone have experience with what appears to be a “house” brand European Oak Engineered Collection?
Seems like decent price for wider plank, but not sure if it is made in China Dan of lesser quality….Any thoughts?

https://www.aafloors.ca/product-categor ... ngineered/

Thanks in advance!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7545 posts
6814 upvotes
f00kie wrote: Floors will be white oak, a light colour. We were told that matching red oak hardwood to white oak floors isn't that great. And we do not want to go with what some people do: leave floors light, but go with a dark staircase. Although online seems to suggest that staining red oak is also possible in light colours.
Ignoring the headache, I bet ou'll pay more than, or at least very close to, $20k to redo stairs later on.

You can definitely match, or get close enough, red oak to white oak. Definitely stick with red oak if you can make it work - most won't notice the difference at all. Who said red oak needs to be dark? It will just have more of a red undertone do it and only really noticeable if you're doing a very light white oak.

Here's light white oak floors with a red oak staircase - the match isn't perfect (and I believe they tried to differentiate enough), but you need to decide if it's worth $20k to match exactly.
M0ng0L wrote: Hi all spent a lot of time reading through this thread. Lots of folks are recommending AA floors. Does anyone have experience with what appears to be a “house” brand European Oak Engineered Collection?
Seems like decent price for wider plank, but not sure if it is made in China Dan of lesser quality….Any thoughts?

https://www.aafloors.ca/product-categor ... ngineered/

Thanks in advance!
Not a flooring expert, nor have I used them, but based on my research .. at $8/sf it's definitely made overseas. I reckon it's also a ~2mm veneer layer, which is essentially the bare minimum you should go. I can't find any info on chemical usage (ie formaldehyde), but maybe someone with experience can chime in.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5110 posts
1544 upvotes
Kitchener
bobcat99 wrote: I know this is a hardwood thread but question relates to cutting of laminate, would also apply to hardwood.

I had the laminate installation done in a couple of bedrooms, the installers did an excellent job. The only thing, cutting the boards was done inside the bedrooms, creating a lot of sawdust, even though doors were closed, windows were open.
Do I have any options? I can't imagine contractors going up and down to cut outside.
I use a 7-1/4 mitre saw with a shop vac connected to the port for cross cuts. The small thin kerf blade doesn't generate much dust. Tablesaw Rip cuts are outside which are not many per room
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7545 posts
6814 upvotes
Anyone have opinions on Superior's "Enhanced" hardwood? I'm thinking because it's got the matching wood backer that it'll hold up better in the long term vs birch plywood mid and backer? How does pricing compare their Engineered line?

Finally getting around to picking hardwood and trying to get something Canadian (or North American) made and reading here to avoid Vidar.. what else have I missed? lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6389 posts
6975 upvotes
GTA
hvc wrote: Anyone have opinions on Superior's "Enhanced" hardwood? I'm thinking because it's got the matching wood backer that it'll hold up better in the long term vs birch plywood mid and backer? How does pricing compare their Engineered line?

Finally getting around to picking hardwood and trying to get something Canadian (or North American) made and reading here to avoid Vidar.. what else have I missed? lol
We looked at Superior Hardwood and Engineered Hardwood ... both were very expensive, compared to Vidar.

If price is not important and you want Canadian/North American, narrow it down with the colour and width preference :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7545 posts
6814 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: We looked at Superior Hardwood and Engineered Hardwood ... both were very expensive, compared to Vidar.

If price is not important and you want Canadian/North American, narrow it down with the colour and width preference :)
Sorry I meant Superior's Enhanced vs Engineered lines. I haven't checked out the brand Engineered Hardwood..maybe I should.

Vidar seemed to be about $8.50/sf, and superior engineered 7" is about $12/sf and enhanced is about $9-10/sf. This is all without install
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6389 posts
6975 upvotes
GTA
hvc wrote: Sorry I meant Superior's Enhanced vs Engineered lines. I haven't checked out the brand Engineered Hardwood..maybe I should.

Vidar seemed to be about $8.50/sf, and superior engineered 7" is about $12/sf and enhanced is about $9-10/sf. This is all without install
Lol I was referring to Superior's hardwood, AND Superior's engineered hardwood... and the latter I believe was even more expensive than their hardwood.

Vidar width 7" for $8.50/sf sounds high.

Depending on total square footage, whether you go with Vidar or Superior, this could be expensive just for the material ... and do you need to pay for installation too?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7545 posts
6814 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: Lol I was referring to Superior's hardwood, AND Superior's engineered hardwood... and the latter I believe was even more expensive than their hardwood.

Vidar width 7" for $8.50/sf sounds high.

Depending on total square footage, whether you go with Vidar or Superior, this could be expensive just for the material ... and do you need to pay for installation too?
Ah, haha I understand. Enhanced and engineered are both engineered products - seems like enhanced is cheaper, but I would have thought the opposite. I can't do standard hardwood as we'll have radiant floors.

I do need to pay for install, unfortunately..part of a whole home reno.

I'll get other quotes for vidar, it's from a place my builder recommended.. it was $10/sf installed.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
2060 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have an estimate on a price of Mirage engineered hardwood, 6 1/2"? For about 330 sq ft. Would an estimate of $10/sq ft be a good approximation?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6389 posts
6975 upvotes
GTA
hvc wrote: Ah, haha I understand. Enhanced and engineered are both engineered products - seems like enhanced is cheaper, but I would have thought the opposite. I can't do standard hardwood as we'll have radiant floors.

I do need to pay for install, unfortunately..part of a whole home reno.

I'll get other quotes for vidar, it's from a place my builder recommended.. it was $10/sf installed.
So, $8.50/sq foot for Vidar 7" engineered hardwood and ONLY + 1.50/sq foot for installation = $10/sq foot?

If installation only $1.50/sq foot, that doesn't sound too bad.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7545 posts
6814 upvotes
mzmoney wrote: So, $8.50/sq foot for Vidar 7" engineered hardwood and ONLY + 1.50/sq foot for installation = $10/sq foot?

If installation only $1.50/sq foot, that doesn't sound too bad.
No my builder split it wrong lol the vidar is $7 and install is $3, but either way.. $10/sf installed (glue down).
Oct 25, 2001
977 posts
689 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have a recommendation for a floor box that is somewhat hidden/complements a hardwood floor?
Nov 26, 2023
1 posts
I am in the process of having my floors refinished and stained. The worker is coming tomorrow to put the last coat of polyurethane on. I don't think these spots are acceptable, my husband thinks I'm trying to micromanage the job. In your opinion, is this normal to have spots like this in the finish?
Thanks for any feedback!
Images
  • IMG_0895.jpeg
  • IMG_0894.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7545 posts
6814 upvotes
Ashtangi wrote: Does anyone have experience with the Superior "Enhanced" floors (https://www.superiorflooring.ca/enhanced-hardwood/ - described in their marketing material as "the only 3-ply engineered product available on the market containing a quarter-sawn solid hardwood core and base.")? I'm looking at a color/width combination that only comes in the Enhanced, but I can't find much information about it. Any insight is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
did you ever get feedback on this?

I've seen both in person and Enhanced looks like a good product vs the engineered (the bottom piece of wood is the same thickness as the top, which I read is what you want) - but it's +$2/sf more and only available in 7" wide planks.

Probably worth it in the grand scheme of things, just curious..

I wasn't a huge fan of vidar, but it's almost ~50% cheaper so there's that. For what it's worth, though, it seemed a lot better than similarly priced flooring

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)