Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Feb 4, 2018
4 posts
patrob wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2018 9:53 pm
Yes everything looks fine. You really don't need glue assist, totally no need for that particular product. Solid Sawn installed as floating it's so heavy and rigid, it feels very solid so you would have nothing to be afraid of. And BTW who certified the installer? Does he have the NWFA certification?
Hello again!

May I ask for advice on the following:

1. The sales rep came to my home yesterday to measure up for the Engineered flooring. We discussed how to manage the wood flooring abutting the fireplace. He said the installer would position the wood 1/4" from the fireplace (whether or not I decide on a picture-frame finish around the raised hearth). He also said that, in his opinion, moulding around a fireplace looks awful.

2. I re-read Vintage Flooring Installation guidelines, and they specify a 3/4" gap around the entire perimeter of the floor. I spoke today with a Vintage rep and he confirmed a 3/4" gap to allow for expansion. I think a 3/4" gap would look awful.

3. The gentleman preparing the subfloor started today and I explained the dilemma to him. He will, with his work mate, try to rent the necessary tools and try do the undercutting before any of the subfloor is installed.

The fireplace is made with a colourful sandstone that I have always loved--I would hate to see it damaged. Do you have any advice/recommendations. Maybe hire Fred Flintstone and Barney?Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Just one other thing: I signed a contract for ordering the floor and having it installed by a local company. It was in the back of my mind to add my own clause to this contract, reading something like: "installer warrants that installation will be carried out according to manufacturers' recommended installation guidelines".

Would that be a reasonable action to take in the future? I'm a senior citizen, female, and I believe in fair, honest dealings in business.

TIA
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10710 posts
1232 upvotes
Brampton
Gurgaon wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2018 3:38 pm
Thank you,Patrob for your opinion but could you elaborate as to why wood and composite is not a good combination? What problems could I foresee if I went ahead with this product? What questions should I ask the vendor to confirm whether this product is right for me?I really value your input as I have been following this thread for quite some time and knew I would revisit this thread if I had questions of my own.Vintage hardwood flooring which was my initial choice,is beyond my reach here in Calgary as the product is upwards of $11/sqft. How about Lauzon, Appalachian or Preverco? Which out of these three would u recommend?
Usually you see some kind of plastic vinyl or similar heat bonded to composite but I don't see how wood can be bonded to composite with forever results. Preverco is a fairly good product.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10710 posts
1232 upvotes
Brampton
ElaineB852835 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 6:41 pm
Hello again!

May I ask for advice on the following:

1. The sales rep came to my home yesterday to measure up for the Engineered flooring. We discussed how to manage the wood flooring abutting the fireplace. He said the installer would position the wood 1/4" from the fireplace (whether or not I decide on a picture-frame finish around the raised hearth). He also said that, in his opinion, moulding around a fireplace looks awful.

2. I re-read Vintage Flooring Installation guidelines, and they specify a 3/4" gap around the entire perimeter of the floor. I spoke today with a Vintage rep and he confirmed a 3/4" gap to allow for expansion. I think a 3/4" gap would look awful.

3. The gentleman preparing the subfloor started today and I explained the dilemma to him. He will, with his work mate, try to rent the necessary tools and try do the undercutting before any of the subfloor is installed.

The fireplace is made with a colourful sandstone that I have always loved--I would hate to see it damaged. Do you have any advice/recommendations. Maybe hire Fred Flintstone and Barney?Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Just one other thing: I signed a contract for ordering the floor and having it installed by a local company. It was in the back of my mind to add my own clause to this contract, reading something like: "installer warrants that installation will be carried out according to manufacturers' recommended installation guidelines".

Would that be a reasonable action to take in the future? I'm a senior citizen, female, and I believe in fair, honest dealings in business.

TIA
Manufacturers have same standards for installation for all the products regarding the gap around the perimeter therefore your baseboards should be raised so your floor goes under. Most of the time drywall is raised off the subfloor so you will have plenty of clearance. With proper RH levels in the house, Vintage engineered pretty much does not expand at all so at the fireplace I would not leave a gap more than 1/8". Personally I would cut it tight or very close and last piece should be glued. Definitely no moulding! Yes installer should follow manufacturer recommendations. You already signed the contract so if you have any doubts resolve it now before they start.
4 posts
patrob wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 8:55 pm
Manufacturers have same standards for installation for all the products regarding the gap around the perimeter therefore your baseboards should be raised so your floor goes under. Most of the time drywall is raised off the subfloor so you will have plenty of clearance. With proper RH levels in the house, Vintage engineered pretty much does not expand at all so at the fireplace I would not leave a gap more than 1/8". Personally I would cut it tight or very close and last piece should be glued. Definitely no moulding! Yes installer should follow manufacturer recommendations. You already signed the contract so if you have any doubts resolve it now before they start.
Thank you Patrob, for your prompt reply. Can we just clarify 1 more thing, please? When you say you would cut the plank tight or very close, does that hold true for (a) a picture-frame design framing the raised hearth, and also (b) an installation wherein the planks will be perpendicular to the fireplace? I'm slow on the uptake--don't even know what I don't know.......
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10710 posts
1232 upvotes
Brampton
ElaineB852835 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 9:14 pm
Thank you Patrob, for your prompt reply. Can we just clarify 1 more thing, please? When you say you would cut the plank tight or very close, does that hold true for (a) a picture-frame design framing the raised hearth, and also (b) an installation wherein the planks will be perpendicular to the fireplace? I'm slow on the uptake--don't even know what I don't know.......
If you have a very low hearth then definitely frame it and go close to it and that will look the best. If you have high hearth 10" or higher then it's definitely up to you if you want to frame it or not. Either way should be cut close. Just make sure you keep your RH stable throughout the year to minimize the movement.
22 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone heard of "Deerwood Lumber", i was shopping for hardwood at Amazon Hardwood Centre in Markham. I saw a hardwood i really like, 5" white oak handscraped for $4.30 but i've never heard of the brand before and can't find really anything about them online. Anyone heard of them?

Another question --> Although I know vintage and mirage are often recommended, i'm just curious how risky it could be to go with an unknown brand. At the end of the day what's the worst that can happen? I'm not looking for the floors to last more then 15 years. Thoughts?
Nov 17, 2013
67 posts
18 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Prestonxavier wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 12:30 am
Has anyone heard of "Deerwood Lumber", i was shopping for hardwood at Amazon Hardwood Centre in Markham. I saw a hardwood i really like, 5" white oak handscraped for $4.30 but i've never heard of the brand before and can't find really anything about them online. Anyone heard of them?

Another question --> Although I know vintage and mirage are often recommended, i'm just curious how risky it could be to go with an unknown brand. At the end of the day what's the worst that can happen? I'm not looking for the floors to last more then 15 years. Thoughts?
I would be careful shopping there. YMMV but I have lots of horror stories about this place.

Stick with reputable manufacturers and save yourself the hassle. With these unknown manufacturers you have no idea how and where the lumber was sourced, if it was properly dried and manufactured, and what kind of chemicals are in the finish.
Nov 17, 2016
203 posts
131 upvotes
Hi Patrob,

Reading many of your posts I understand that you prefer engineered hardwood. We are looking for a hardwood for main floor and we will use same hardwood in the kitchen. Specifically, we are looking at this hardwood: https://stone-tile.com/collection/wood/kafe, that is 7.5'' wide and cost about 7.5$/sq feet.

1. Do you think that engineered hardwood planks of 7.5'' is a good choice, or such wide planks will be susceptible to bending/cupping?
2. What do you think about engineered hardwood that has oil finish?

TIA!
Jul 29, 2010
39 posts
6 upvotes
I was wondering if anyone installed (or is familiar with the quality of) Torlys engineered hardwood - they call the product line "smart hardwood"? What would be a price range per sq. ft. ( Toronto area)

Thank you!
Apr 19, 2018
22 posts
1 upvote
LionHardwoodFlooring wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 8:25 am
I would be careful shopping there. YMMV but I have lots of horror stories about this place.

Stick with reputable manufacturers and save yourself the hassle. With these unknown manufacturers you have no idea how and where the lumber was sourced, if it was properly dried and manufactured, and what kind of chemicals are in the finish.
Thanks!. I'm having a real hard time finding a good hardwood dealer that sells stuff like mirage and vintage. I'm located in Markham/Stoufville area. Any suggestions?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10710 posts
1232 upvotes
Brampton
Vi20161128 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 3:26 pm
Hi Patrob,

Reading many of your posts I understand that you prefer engineered hardwood. We are looking for a hardwood for main floor and we will use same hardwood in the kitchen. Specifically, we are looking at this hardwood: https://stone-tile.com/collection/wood/kafe, that is 7.5'' wide and cost about 7.5$/sq feet.

1. Do you think that engineered hardwood planks of 7.5'' is a good choice, or such wide planks will be susceptible to bending/cupping?
2. What do you think about engineered hardwood that has oil finish?

TIA!
Sounds fine as for cupping etc. it all depends how you keep the humidity levels. Invest in a hygrometer and follow manufacturer recommendations. Personally I like oil finish but then others, depending on colour, say that it "looks dirty". It has a more unfinished look.
Apr 17, 2005
10710 posts
1232 upvotes
Brampton
100% wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 4:49 pm
I was wondering if anyone installed (or is familiar with the quality of) Torlys engineered hardwood - they call the product line "smart hardwood"? What would be a price range per sq. ft. ( Toronto area)

Thank you!
They make great laminate and vinyl but can't tell you much about their hardwood. No idea on prices, call around.
Apr 17, 2005
10710 posts
1232 upvotes
Brampton
Prestonxavier wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 8:53 pm
Thanks!. I'm having a real hard time finding a good hardwood dealer that sells stuff like mirage and vintage. I'm located in Markham/Stoufville area. Any suggestions?
Try Darmaga and you should be able to get the dealer list from each when you go on their website!
22 posts
1 upvote
Thank you patrob! Sorry two more questions, do you have experience or feedback of a hardwood company called Canadian Standard Flooring? Also, does anybody have recommendations on a contractor to refinish stairs?