[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
Prestonxavier wrote:
May 1st, 2018 9:16 pm
Thank you patrob! Sorry two more questions, do you have experience or feedback of a hardwood company called Canadian Standard Flooring? Also, does anybody have recommendations on a contractor to refinish stairs?
No I'm sorry, I don't have any feedback or recommendation.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
234 posts
154 upvotes
Patrob,

For oil finished hardwood/engineered hardwood - do you need to apply oil right after installation, or do normally hardwood comes pre-finished and you just need to re-apply oil every few years?

TIA.
Jan 2, 2018
6 posts
I am looking to refinish about 1300 sqft of hardwood flooring in my house plus a staircase. I am getting quotes of around $6500 to $7000 to sand, stain, polish etc. Should I just go for a new floor (laminate/engineered) or go for staining, I have no experience and I am a bit worried that staining won't get me the results I'm looking for

Any advice or recommendations? Will highly appreciate help

Here is my current floor and an example of the result that I'm looking for
Current Floor: https://imgur.com/a/aFDhO4b
Needed Result (approx): https://imgur.com/a/Zt12MNQ

@Patrob, would really appreciate your advice too.
Apr 19, 2018
25 posts
1 upvote
eiskafee wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 11:44 am
I am looking to refinish about 1300 sqft of hardwood flooring in my house plus a staircase. I am getting quotes of around $6500 to $7000 to sand, stain, polish etc. Should I just go for a new floor (laminate/engineered) or go for staining, I have no experience and I am a bit worried that staining won't get me the results I'm looking for

I was in the same boat and found that the dust and gamble of potentially not liking the finished product when restaining floors isn't worth it when you compare the cost. I would just replace the floors. Make sure you have them screw the subfloor into the joists!
Apr 19, 2018
25 posts
1 upvote
Does anyone know if a transition piece is needed for engineered hardwood which has a thickness of 1/2 inch when meeting tile? The brand is Abode if that is important.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17774 posts
2465 upvotes
GTA West
Prestonxavier wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 11:44 pm
Does anyone know if a transition piece is needed for engineered hardwood which has a thickness of 1/2 inch when meeting tile? The brand is Abode if that is important.
Mine needed a transition piece.
Jan 2, 2018
6 posts
Prestonxavier wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 11:43 pm
I was in the same boat and found that the dust and gamble of potentially not liking the finished product when restaining floors isn't worth it when you compare the cost. I would just replace the floors. Make sure you have them screw the subfloor into the joists!
Did you end up refinishing or a new floor. I got a few quotes for new floor and stairs, and price has more than doubled as compared to staining
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
Vi20161128 wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 9:38 am
Patrob,

For oil finished hardwood/engineered hardwood - do you need to apply oil right after installation, or do normally hardwood comes pre-finished and you just need to re-apply oil every few years?

TIA.
Prefinished oil hardwood means you install and it's ready to walk on. There is minimum need for re-oiling. Then you can have unfinished hardwood installed and oil finished on site.
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
eiskafee wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 11:44 am

Yes you can achieve similar results with refinishing. The price for all that work is fair. Some refinishers that I know will charge you more than that! Refinishing is a skilled art, not everyone is an artist Winking Face Laminate is just laminate but nothing beats hardwood.
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
Prestonxavier wrote:
May 3rd, 2018 11:44 pm
You can make your own transition piece, to increase or decrease the height at tile from the same wood. Tile is never exactly flush so adjustment will be needed. Don't buy manufacturer reducers or t-molds, they are ugly!
25 posts
1 upvote
patrob wrote:
May 7th, 2018 8:12 pm
You can make your own transition piece, to increase or decrease the height at tile from the same wood. Tile is never exactly flush so adjustment will be needed. Don't buy manufacturer reducers or t-molds, they are ugly!
In your experience how much of an eyesore will the transition piece be? My installer is saying that it will be a noticeable difference in height between my tile and hardwood. I believe my tile is 3/8 of an inch thick. If anyone has an image (i haven't been able to find one online) that would be greatly appreciated. I've only found pics of transition pieces that look clunky!
Apr 19, 2018
25 posts
1 upvote
eiskafee wrote:
May 4th, 2018 11:32 am
Did you end up refinishing or a new floor. I got a few quotes for new floor and stairs, and price has more than doubled as compared to staining
I'm looking to install new floors, the cost was more but it was worth it given that i get new hardwood compared to sanding and using the same hardwood floors i currently have.