The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
17774 posts
2465 upvotes
GTA West
Prestonxavier wrote:
May 8th, 2018 10:13 pm
Was it noticeable or did the transition piece bug you?
Yes it was noticeable but I got used to it really quickly.
Tuition to the School of Life is not tax deductible.
Feb 29, 2016
115 posts
6 upvotes
Looking to get around 500 sq ft of solid hardwood for my main floor. Any recommendations on what and where to buy? I am liking the Bruce Oak Cherry at HomeDepot ($4/sqft).
May 10, 2018
1 posts
Hi Patrob

Thanks in advance for your help. I've gone to many flooring places looking for wide plank white oak flooring. So far I've found two that I've liked - torlys supersolid7 in Wildwood oak and PurParket in cinder. What do you think of these two brands? I've heard that the purparket easily stains (we are putting it in the kitchen so im a bit worried about that). Also, both of them are super expensive. Do you know of anything similar for a better price. I was quoted $8 for torlys and I think 8.25 for PurParket. Ideally I would like to pay something in the 6-7 range but if I can't find anything similar I'll just bite the bullet. I have 875 square feet we need to cover. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
Prestonxavier wrote:
May 8th, 2018 3:39 pm
In your experience how much of an eyesore will the transition piece be? My installer is saying that it will be a noticeable difference in height between my tile and hardwood. I believe my tile is 3/8 of an inch thick. If anyone has an image (i haven't been able to find one online) that would be greatly appreciated. I've only found pics of transition pieces that look clunky!
If you're installing 3/4" hardwood and your tiles are 3/8" the reducer will be 3/4" on one side and cut down to 3/8" from underneath, the top will not be touched. The reducer will be flat but sloping down to tile height.

This pic shows the idea, your slope might be different obviously due to hardwood/tile height :

http://yohaku.me/photo/77502/wood-floor ... ooring.jpg

http://arafen.com/a/f/w/wood-flooring-a ... ow-noo.jpg

I just noticed you're installing 1/2" hardwood so pretty much no height difference but the same idea goes.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
rohan1985 wrote:
May 9th, 2018 10:48 pm
Looking to get around 500 sq ft of solid hardwood for my main floor. Any recommendations on what and where to buy? I am liking the Bruce Oak Cherry at HomeDepot ($4/sqft).
There's plenty of hardwood flooring stores so look for one in your area and start there.
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
Decoratingslowly wrote:
May 11th, 2018 6:16 am
Hi Patrob

Thanks in advance for your help. I've gone to many flooring places looking for wide plank white oak flooring. So far I've found two that I've liked - torlys supersolid7 in Wildwood oak and PurParket in cinder. What do you think of these two brands? I've heard that the purparket easily stains (we are putting it in the kitchen so im a bit worried about that). Also, both of them are super expensive. Do you know of anything similar for a better price. I was quoted $8 for torlys and I think 8.25 for PurParket. Ideally I would like to pay something in the 6-7 range but if I can't find anything similar I'll just bite the bullet. I have 875 square feet we need to cover. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
The wider the plank the more expensive it is. And $8 is reasonable from a good manufacturer. There are better brands like Vintage or even Superior. You can also look at Monarch Plank or Hakwood. I would also like to pay Kia price and get a Mercedes Winking Face
737 posts
819 upvotes
Looking to get existing hardwood floor refinished/stained around 450-500sq/ft + a staircase about 28 steps (+2 landing areas) staircase. Was wondering if you have any recommendations? I have a quote for $4/sqft for floor refinish and $125 per step not including spindles, handles & raisers.
Aug 18, 2013
98 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

Can anyone help me identify what this wood is? Its already in the house and I want to knock down a wall and continue the floor into the new room that currently has laminate.

I was told its Brazilian hardwood - im hoping the numbers and logo can help someone smarter than me figure out what this is.

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
mastermind88 wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 4:58 pm
Hi,

Can anyone help me identify what this wood is? Its already in the house and I want to knock down a wall and continue the floor into the new room that currently has laminate.

I was told its Brazilian hardwood - im hoping the numbers and logo can help someone smarter than me figure out what this is.

Thanks!
Image not showing up for me.
2040 posts
585 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi Patrob,

Love the help you provide us on this thread. Been browsing it for a few days now and just had a couple questions.

Looking for new hardwood to replace our current glossy maple which is riddled with scratches. We have two dogs, 15 & 35lbs.
We were told that Engineered Hardwood is more stable than Solid and allows for wider widths. Is this true?
Are all wood types the same? A store manager was saying that it will actually fall on the urethane coating on the top, and not the actual strength of the wood.
We are leaning towards a hickory wood (likely engineered), in a more gray/cream matte color. Ideally a distressed or brushed finish to help with the dogs. Would this be a wise choice?
If so, what do you think is a reasonable price (per sq/ft)? Happy for you to tell me which brands/places to go to find the best product and prices

Been reading about the dangers of Made in China engineered wood, and it is scary. Any thoughts on this? We found a (seemingly) good floor at Amazon Hardwood, but it was Made in China. Brand is National, Hickory wood, distressed. It's priced at $4.80 per sqft and it was dropped further if I buy a large quantity.
Is this priced correctly? or is it so cheap that its concerning?
Any risk on formaldehyde or is this a hoax to imply protectionist theory on the hardwood industry?
What would the comparable domestic brands and prices be (from your experience)?

Lastly, how would a domestic Ash/White Oak compare to Hickory? I was told they are more 'stable' and 'strong enough' for dogs.

Would love your thoughts,
thanks,
Vinh
Vinh
If you're going to hate, Get off RFD!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
petah wrote:
May 23rd, 2018 2:15 pm
Looking to get existing hardwood floor refinished/stained around 450-500sq/ft + a staircase about 28 steps (+2 landing areas) staircase. Was wondering if you have any recommendations? I have a quote for $4/sqft for floor refinish and $125 per step not including spindles, handles & raisers.
Refinishing price is fair but the per step price doesn't include the riser?? It's part of the step.
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
vinnie1990 wrote:
May 26th, 2018 10:19 pm
Hi Patrob,

Love the help you provide us on this thread. Been browsing it for a few days now and just had a couple questions.

Looking for new hardwood to replace our current glossy maple which is riddled with scratches. We have two dogs, 15 & 35lbs.
We were told that Engineered Hardwood is more stable than Solid and allows for wider widths. Is this true?
Are all wood types the same? A store manager was saying that it will actually fall on the urethane coating on the top, and not the actual strength of the wood.
We are leaning towards a hickory wood (likely engineered), in a more gray/cream matte color. Ideally a distressed or brushed finish to help with the dogs. Would this be a wise choice?
If so, what do you think is a reasonable price (per sq/ft)? Happy for you to tell me which brands/places to go to find the best product and prices

Been reading about the dangers of Made in China engineered wood, and it is scary. Any thoughts on this? We found a (seemingly) good floor at Amazon Hardwood, but it was Made in China. Brand is National, Hickory wood, distressed. It's priced at $4.80 per sqft and it was dropped further if I buy a large quantity.
Is this priced correctly? or is it so cheap that its concerning?
Any risk on formaldehyde or is this a hoax to imply protectionist theory on the hardwood industry?
What would the comparable domestic brands and prices be (from your experience)?

Lastly, how would a domestic Ash/White Oak compare to Hickory? I was told they are more 'stable' and 'strong enough' for dogs.

Would love your thoughts,
thanks,
Vinh
Yes engineered hardwood is more stable than solid but you still have to watch the RH levels regardless. And it allows for wider widths. Hardness of the wood and better quality finish will give you better longevity. Hickory is harder than Oak/Ash therefore might work better for you. There are some manufacturers that have their products made in China to their North American specs and they are not bad. And then there are others, who knows what it is and how it's made. The brand you mentioned never heard of it. For example, 5" hickory wire brushed uv oil in larger quantity made in Canada will cost you $7.75 plus per ft. What to buy and where to buy, that's something you will have to research and call around for best pricing. There is no one store for best price.
737 posts
819 upvotes
patrob wrote:
May 26th, 2018 10:47 pm
Refinishing price is fair but the per step price doesn't include the riser?? It's part of the step.
Thanks for the response. Apparently the riser is vinyl? I guess the company should be able to get new vinyl to match the new stain? I am not too sure. I'll ask around for more quotes.

I don't want to use 2 different companies for floor & stairs in case the stain doesn't match!

Also, one more question. instead of getting floor refinished I might go with engineered hardwood floor. Any idea the ball park for the labour + material for replacing? if it's ~$2000 difference I might as well get new ones.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10771 posts
1256 upvotes
Brampton
petah wrote:
May 28th, 2018 2:39 pm
Thanks for the response. Apparently the riser is vinyl? I guess the company should be able to get new vinyl to match the new stain? I am not too sure. I'll ask around for more quotes.

I don't want to use 2 different companies for floor & stairs in case the stain doesn't match!

Also, one more question. instead of getting floor refinished I might go with engineered hardwood floor. Any idea the ball park for the labour + material for replacing? if it's ~$2000 difference I might as well get new ones.
If you are getting hardwood treads then your risers should also be hardwood or at least veneer and stained all together. More likely you will not be able to match stain and finish to plastic. Finishing stairs to pre-finished hardwood will never be 100% matching. It will be close but never the same. There's nothing wrong with having two different companies doing each job. The company that will do the stain will match the stain from the piece of hardwood sample you give them, that's how it's done. I'm not able to give you ballpark, everyone charges different prices. You also have to add extra for removal of your existing floors, disposal, refastening of your subfloors, etc.
Aug 10, 2011
9060 posts
1705 upvotes
Somewhere
For the layman, is it easy to tell that a hardwood is 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch? There seems to be significant savings by going with 1/2 inch.

Also for the layman, is it easy to tell the difference between engineered and pure hardwood?

Thanks!
:confused:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)