Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2113 posts
595 upvotes
Looking to get about 1000sq/ft of flooring installed in my home.
50 year old house with not much sunlight coming in so looking to do light color flooring.

https://www.lowes.ca/hardwood-flooring/ ... ondon-Grey

Found this with great discount at $2.99 / Sq. Ft + tax free (or $225 off $2500) with free shipping.
Total for 1000 sq/ft comes to $3,010.93 which is great price I think

Reviews are good but only 2 reviews.

Anything that I should worry about before placing order?

Here are specs

Wire brushed finish for a beautiful contemporary floor
Click-lock floating system allows for quick and easy installation
9 layer Duralox Everlast Pre-finishing system
35-year limited residential warranty
Install on or below grade (with approved vapor barrier)
Carb-2 Certified, 100% VOC free
Appropriate Level for Installation: Any level
California Proposition 65 Warning Requir: No
Color/Finish Family: Gray
Color Shade: Medium
Construction: Engineered
Construction Type: Locking
Cut: Sliced
Edge Design: Beveled
Finish Type: Prefinished
Gloss Level: Low
Hardness Scale: 3 (Janka rating 1261-1400)
Hardwood Plank Width: Wide
Janka Hardness Rating: 1360
Number of Plies: 3
Photosensitive: No
Ply Composition: HDF
Primary Installation Method: Floating
Secondary Installation Method: Glue down
Sold As: Carton
Species: Oak
Subfloor Type: Plywood or concrete
Texture: Wirebrushed
Variable Length: Yes
Variable Width: No
Veneer Cut: Sliced
Veneer Thickness (Inches): 0.1
Warranty: 35-year
Wood Grade: Natural
Color: London Grey

Dimensions & Weights
Length: 4 feet
Square Footage: 26½sq. ft.
Thickness: ½ inches
Width: 5 inches
Box Dimensions: 4 feet x 10.63 inches x 4 inches
Ship Weight: 55lbs
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10742 posts
1241 upvotes
Brampton
iEyeCaptain wrote:
May 29th, 2018 10:28 am
For the layman, is it easy to tell that a hardwood is 3/4 inch or 1/2 inch? There seems to be significant savings by going with 1/2 inch.

Also for the layman, is it easy to tell the difference between engineered and pure hardwood?

Thanks!
From looking at it, you cannot determine the thickness. With better products you will not be able to tell the difference between solid and engineered.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10742 posts
1241 upvotes
Brampton
joongpark wrote:
May 30th, 2018 3:03 pm
Looking to get about 1000sq/ft of flooring installed in my home.
50 year old house with not much sunlight coming in so looking to do light color flooring.

https://www.lowes.ca/hardwood-flooring/ ... ondon-Grey

Found this with great discount at $2.99 / Sq. Ft + tax free (or $225 off $2500) with free shipping.
Total for 1000 sq/ft comes to $3,010.93 which is great price I think

Reviews are good but only 2 reviews.

Anything that I should worry about before placing order?

Here are specs

Wire brushed finish for a beautiful contemporary floor
Click-lock floating system allows for quick and easy installation
9 layer Duralox Everlast Pre-finishing system
35-year limited residential warranty
Install on or below grade (with approved vapor barrier)
Carb-2 Certified, 100% VOC free
Appropriate Level for Installation: Any level
California Proposition 65 Warning Requir: No
Color/Finish Family: Gray
Color Shade: Medium
Construction: Engineered
Construction Type: Locking
Cut: Sliced
Edge Design: Beveled
Finish Type: Prefinished
Gloss Level: Low
Hardness Scale: 3 (Janka rating 1261-1400)
Hardwood Plank Width: Wide
Janka Hardness Rating: 1360
Number of Plies: 3
Photosensitive: No
Ply Composition: HDF
Primary Installation Method: Floating
Secondary Installation Method: Glue down
Sold As: Carton
Species: Oak
Subfloor Type: Plywood or concrete
Texture: Wirebrushed
Variable Length: Yes
Variable Width: No
Veneer Cut: Sliced
Veneer Thickness (Inches): 0.1
Warranty: 35-year
Wood Grade: Natural
Color: London Grey

Dimensions & Weights
Length: 4 feet
Square Footage: 26½sq. ft.
Thickness: ½ inches
Width: 5 inches
Box Dimensions: 4 feet x 10.63 inches x 4 inches
Ship Weight: 55lbs
You can install this only as a floating floor. And the lengths are only 4 ft long. It might be ok for basement or bedrooms but I would not install this on the main floor. You get what you pay for.
24 posts
10 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Hi guys,

I assume various stairwell-related questions have been asked in this thread numerous times, but would like to ask your opinion on my project. We decided to replace both our first and second floor flooring (currently laminate on main floor and carpet on second) and chose Vintage Maple Slate engineered hardwood. We would like to have the stairwell redone as well (it is currently carpeted) and are wondering whether we can do the following: instead of getting oak or maple threads and risers just purchase maple nosings from Vintage and then do the rest of the threads with the same engineered hardwood as the rest of the floor. We plan to have simple white risers so the material can be even MDF I assume.

The stairwell is not overly complicated, it is closed on both sides and has 13 steps and 1 landing; I will share some pictures below. We plan to keep the current railing and get it stained so that it matches the new floor. I wonder if this plan makes sense at all, I know most of the people like to keep the stairwell different than the rest of the floor and view it as a separate piece altogether, but we would like to get a uniform look throughout (as close as possible of course).

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
2113 posts
595 upvotes
patrob wrote:
May 30th, 2018 10:26 pm
You can install this only as a floating floor. And the lengths are only 4 ft long. It might be ok for basement or bedrooms but I would not install this on the main floor. You get what you pay for.
We are not in our forever home so just looking for something that won't look terrible when we sell our home in 4-5 years. I don't think buyers will pay us premium for having 8+ dollar flooring as our home is 50+ year old.
Going from 50 year old thin strips of hardwood to any kind of hardwood flooring is a huge upgrade.

One thing I have to ask is that I am order that from Lowes but that brand does not sell transition pieces...where do I get those? I will be trying to match all the heights but might be hard with very old house.

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10742 posts
1241 upvotes
Brampton
joongpark wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 2:29 pm
We are not in our forever home so just looking for something that won't look terrible when we sell our home in 4-5 years. I don't think buyers will pay us premium for having 8+ dollar flooring as our home is 50+ year old.
Going from 50 year old thin strips of hardwood to any kind of hardwood flooring is a huge upgrade.

One thing I have to ask is that I am order that from Lowes but that brand does not sell transition pieces...where do I get those? I will be trying to match all the heights but might be hard with very old house.

Thanks.
This is your opinion on hardwood flooring but you don't have to buy hardwood for $8 sq ft. You can buy good hardwood for $5 sq ft that will "not float" when you walk on it! When you're ready to buy your new house, hopefully the previous homeowner did not do a similar cheap flooring makeover as you're planning to do lol As for transition pieces you might have to look around or purchase unfinished and stain to match. A lot of great products and accessories are available at professional flooring stores not Lowes or HD. You might be surprised what you find if you look around.
Apr 17, 2005
10742 posts
1241 upvotes
Brampton
weltmeister wrote:
May 31st, 2018 2:49 pm
Hi guys,

I assume various stairwell-related questions have been asked in this thread numerous times, but would like to ask your opinion on my project. We decided to replace both our first and second floor flooring (currently laminate on main floor and carpet on second) and chose Vintage Maple Slate engineered hardwood. We would like to have the stairwell redone as well (it is currently carpeted) and are wondering whether we can do the following: instead of getting oak or maple threads and risers just purchase maple nosings from Vintage and then do the rest of the threads with the same engineered hardwood as the rest of the floor. We plan to have simple white risers so the material can be even MDF I assume.

The stairwell is not overly complicated, it is closed on both sides and has 13 steps and 1 landing; I will share some pictures below. We plan to keep the current railing and get it stained so that it matches the new floor. I wonder if this plan makes sense at all, I know most of the people like to keep the stairwell different than the rest of the floor and view it as a separate piece altogether, but we would like to get a uniform look throughout (as close as possible of course).

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Technically yes you can have it done with planks but just be aware the prefinished nosings are fairly expensive plus the wood cost and extra labour. Treads even in maple wall to wall you could find for $50 piece. IMO looks nicer to have full wood treads. You can pre-finish them before installing and just apply one coat at the end. Depending on the width of the stairs you can only get two steps out of one nosing so you are wasting a lot of nosing.
231 posts
27 upvotes
Pickering
Hey read lots of pages but dint find any reviews here about Harwoodplanet flooring it’s made in Canadian made with 7’ to 8’ planks

Does any one have any experience with it looking in red oak
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10742 posts
1241 upvotes
Brampton
desiboy06 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2018 9:59 am
Hey read lots of pages but dint find any reviews here about Harwoodplanet flooring it’s made in Canadian made with 7’ to 8’ planks

Does any one have any experience with it looking in red oak
Not too familiar with them.
791 posts
51 upvotes
Hi patrob,
I was following this thread when it started now 651 pages later, i have some questions regarding hardwood flooring.

Due to constant eye problems with dust allergy , considering getting hardwood for 3 bedrooms in the first floor and also changing the carpeted stairs going up and thosegoing down to the basement to hardwood. I need your advice on a couple of things.

1. I have jaoba bazillian cherry in my main floor but oak stair railings. What color wood to choose for the stairs so that it does not mismatch. Do i continue with the natural oak color of the railings?

2. I would like your opinion on the costco engineered harwood - https://www.costco.ca/Brushed-Oak-12.7- ... 93075.html
I like the bbrushed oak gunstock color. The price for this is with delivery which i like.

3. Costco also has the technoflex premium acoustic underlayment which i wasconsidering for mymaster bedroom which is right below the living room and the noise when you walk in the bedroom is way to annoying for people sitting in the living room. What is your opinion of using this in addition to the underlayment that comes with the harwood.
https://www.costco.ca/Technoflex-Premiu ... 61361.html
http:// mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-metric/127130.png
http:// badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/131105.png
Apr 7, 2014
135 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hardwood Giant is giving free installation, and they have 3/4" hardwood for $3.50 or so a foot,
http://www.hardwoodgiant.ca/
What do you guys think? Their rating is 6/10.. but some people have been happy with them.. it seems if there are any problems they don't really bother to come back to fix, but maybe if you tip the installers you can get a good job done with them?
Any ideas?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10742 posts
1241 upvotes
Brampton
sandyriver wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 10:38 am
Hi patrob,
I was following this thread when it started now 651 pages later, i have some questions regarding hardwood flooring.

Due to constant eye problems with dust allergy , considering getting hardwood for 3 bedrooms in the first floor and also changing the carpeted stairs going up and thosegoing down to the basement to hardwood. I need your advice on a couple of things.

1. I have jaoba bazillian cherry in my main floor but oak stair railings. What color wood to choose for the stairs so that it does not mismatch. Do i continue with the natural oak color of the railings?

2. I would like your opinion on the costco engineered harwood - https://www.costco.ca/Brushed-Oak-12.7- ... 93075.html
I like the bbrushed oak gunstock color. The price for this is with delivery which i like.

3. Costco also has the technoflex premium acoustic underlayment which i wasconsidering for mymaster bedroom which is right below the living room and the noise when you walk in the bedroom is way to annoying for people sitting in the living room. What is your opinion of using this in addition to the underlayment that comes with the harwood.
https://www.costco.ca/Technoflex-Premiu ... 61361.html
Brazillian cherry in natural finish (unstained) has a variety of colours so if your floors are majority in reddish brown, that's the stain you should choose for your stairs or slightly darker. Pickets you can always paint white or replace. They are extremely hard to refinish unless they are square. Never used Costco engineered hardwood so can't say anything about it. Some say yes but personally I don't see any benefits of adding any acoustic underlay under nailed down floors! It works better if you float it. You will hear more sound transfer through the empty walls and flimsy doors than through the subfloor.
Apr 17, 2005
10742 posts
1241 upvotes
Brampton
sailplane wrote:
Jun 9th, 2018 10:52 am
Hardwood Giant is giving free installation, and they have 3/4" hardwood for $3.50 or so a foot,
http://www.hardwoodgiant.ca/
What do you guys think? Their rating is 6/10.. but some people have been happy with them.. it seems if there are any problems they don't really bother to come back to fix, but maybe if you tip the installers you can get a good job done with them?
Any ideas?
If you are getting the whole deal for $3.50 sq ft, how much is the wood and how much goes to the installer? They still need to get paid. Did you read the fine print? Usually applies to minimum square footage. Be careful because they may have extra charges for everything else like accessories, etc. But in the end you know how it goes, you get what you pay for so don't expect too much.
135 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
patrob wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 10:16 pm
If you are getting the whole deal for $3.50 sq ft, how much is the wood and how much goes to the installer? They still need to get paid. Did you read the fine print? Usually applies to minimum square footage. Be careful because they may have extra charges for everything else like accessories, etc. But in the end you know how it goes, you get what you pay for so don't expect too much.
Makes sense. Any stores you would recommend for buying quality wood separately without install?
I'm thinking to still go by Hardwood Giant. They said they carry Lauzon and many other manufacturers. I think Lauzon should be pretty good quality at 'select or better' grade?

I bought some hardwood from Lowes and it's not the greatest quality and grade at all, and they sell it for $5/sq foot.
Sep 29, 2007
487 posts
80 upvotes
Considering laminate - either "Contractors Choice" Notting Hill 12mm AC4 floor which is a Taiga product or a Kronopol 8mm floor which is on sale. I easily scratched the Kronopol and with dogs I could see it getting scratched up easily but the $1.18 price per SF is tempting.

Any experience with either?

We found one installer who is a journeyman carpenter right out of school and he has done a "handful" of laminate jobs. Should I be looking for someone more experienced? I would think laminate should be very easy for a carpenter

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)