Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
6386 posts
1821 upvotes
Anyone have a ballpark on doing 3 flights of hardwood stairs? Just the treads and risers.
Mar 22, 2017
176 posts
139 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Oct 21st, 2018 9:41 am
Anyone have a ballpark on doing 3 flights of hardwood stairs? Just the treads and risers.
If it's a refinish, assume 120/step. I asked a couple of places, that was the general range I was quoted.
Oct 21, 2018
12 posts
USA, Colorado
I am looking to get the following hardwood installed in my new home. I couldn't bring myself to pay the builder what they were asking. Do you know where I can get the best deal on the this flooring? Also a reliable installer at a good price?
The blood in me gives me eyes to see (c)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
6386 posts
1821 upvotes
grumble wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 9:53 am
If it's a refinish, assume 120/step. I asked a couple of places, that was the general range I was quoted.

There is no wood. Just carpet. Would need to add wood
Nov 9, 2015
140 posts
18 upvotes
Durham,ON
Hi guys,
I had updated my upstairs completely with hardwood flooring recently. Now i'm planing to do my main floor, my dining and living room is already hardwood which was installed by my previous owners, Now I want to do my living room, so my questions is should i just do hardwood flooring with existing baseboard or should i replace the baseboard as well ? Is there any disadvantage or advantage of replacing existing baseboard ?? Or it doesn't matter. I'm worried if i dint replace the baseboard the installation will be affected or not ? Kindly advice ?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5105 posts
490 upvotes
Whats the process and current price of resanding / staining a hardwood floor , ours are pretty scratched up
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

Mourinho IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1013 posts
241 upvotes
Hi @patrob - recommendations on what to use to fill holes from top nailing? Some of the spots I have could not be hidden under moulding, etc. Color rite caulk? Torcan?
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10804 posts
1270 upvotes
Brampton
briat01 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 6:49 pm
Ok I will try asking them. I saw pics of your work on home stars and this forum and didn't see skinny reducers or gaps so that was the standard I was aiming for. Thanks for your quick reply Patrob
Haha I'm impressed! I actually have a skinny piece at the tiles in my foyer that's 1" because that's just how it ended up when you start with a full board somewhere else, you can't control it always.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10804 posts
1270 upvotes
Brampton
briat01 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2018 10:11 pm
Patrob, 1 last question.

They only left gaps of 1/4" between the hardwood and the drywall but you and the manual say 1/2" expansion gap minimum. Is it reasonable to ask them to cut the wood an extra 1/4" to allow for 1/2" gap even though they already installed the hardwood (and baseboard and doorstop for some rooms)?

We got 3 1/4" maple so our biggest fear is that the maple will cup in summer and we'd have to redo our floors again next year.
Don't worry about the gap. But with higher humidity your maple will cup so keep it stable and invest in a digital hygrometer!
Apr 17, 2005
10804 posts
1270 upvotes
Brampton
sh8wh4sg wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 9:25 am
Hi guys,
I had updated my upstairs completely with hardwood flooring recently. Now i'm planing to do my main floor, my dining and living room is already hardwood which was installed by my previous owners, Now I want to do my living room, so my questions is should i just do hardwood flooring with existing baseboard or should i replace the baseboard as well ? Is there any disadvantage or advantage of replacing existing baseboard ?? Or it doesn't matter. I'm worried if i dint replace the baseboard the installation will be affected or not ? Kindly advice ?
No need to remove baseboards. Make it look the same like the other rooms. Installation will not be affected by not removing the baseboards. Use same matching doorstop or quarter round.
Apr 17, 2005
10804 posts
1270 upvotes
Brampton
rb wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 9:16 am
Whats the process and current price of resanding / staining a hardwood floor , ours are pretty scratched up
The price is $3 sq ft plus, depending who you hire. Best way is to consult a refinisher but all furniture must be removed from the area which you're finishing. It cannot be done in sections. They can explain the whole process to you at the same.
Apr 17, 2005
10804 posts
1270 upvotes
Brampton
dling7 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 2:33 pm
Hi @patrob - recommendations on what to use to fill holes from top nailing? Some of the spots I have could not be hidden under moulding, etc. Color rite caulk? Torcan?
Touch up pencil colour matching (wax wood filler) available at Home Depot or hardwood flooring stores.
Dec 24, 2002
5105 posts
490 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 6:36 pm
The price is $3 sq ft plus, depending who you hire. Best way is to consult a refinisher but all furniture must be removed from the area which you're finishing. It cannot be done in sections. They can explain the whole process to you at the same.
Thanks
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

Mourinho IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Nov 11, 2011
299 posts
399 upvotes
ROCKWOOD
@patrob I am looking at installing engineered hardwood over a concrete floor and I am wondering what your opinion if regarding the most cost effective yet durable brand there is.
I dont mind spending a little more if it means the floors will stand up to regular everyday use.
I went into a dealer today and he showed me Torlys luxury vinyl plank because I am looking for something that is durable. It looked great and I took a sample home but then I read a ton of negative reviews on Homestars about it.
I really do want an engineered hardwood and I feel like I kind of wasted my time with the LVP. Any help that you or anyone else can give about what would be a good quality product that wont break the bank is greatly appreciated!
Nov 9, 2015
140 posts
18 upvotes
Durham,ON
Is home depot solid hardwood good quality or not ?