Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Sep 25, 2003
208 posts
36 upvotes
Scarborough
grumble wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 9:58 am
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It's been very helpful, and definitely improved my decision-making. I ended up getting 3/4 inch by 3 1/4 inch red oak hardwood finished on site in 50/50 mix of special and dark walnut. I used loba hybrid, two coats, then a top coat of loba 2k supra in satin. I had to get on site finished because I was also refinishing another section and wanted the two to match, which they do.

Honestly, the one thing that I noticed that's different from the advice given here is that the on-site finished looked much better than the pre-finished stuff. The lack of beveling or gaps and the lack of any 'bare spots' in the cracks that flash at a sharp angle gave it a much more premium feel. I pay for that in durability to a degree, though I used a high end poly that I'm hoping gives me a solid decade or more with good maintenance.

Thanks again!
We recently had our main floor redone and we also went with a site finish install of 5” white oak. The whole process took almost two weeks to complete. One week to demo old beveled maple flooring, upgrade subfloor, install; and another week to sand, fill, sand again, stain and poly. Definitely more upheaval as we had to move out the entire floor, but so much nicer to walk barefoot on a completely flat floor.
Feb 7, 2018
81 posts
5 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 6:26 pm
Haha I'm impressed! I actually have a skinny piece at the tiles in my foyer that's 1" because that's just how it ended up when you start with a full board somewhere else, you can't control it always.
Wow, good to know this happens to the pros too. Seriously.. thank you again for all your help and support. You made a stressful and expensive experience much less stressful for us thanks to your invaluable experience. Have you ever considered writing a book on hardwood now that you don't do it anymore? Or teaching it as a trade in school?
Feb 7, 2018
81 posts
5 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 6:28 pm
Don't worry about the gap. But with higher humidity your maple will cup so keep it stable and invest in a digital hygrometer!
I got the $15 honeywell you suggested. I thought the gap was important to let the wood expand? Is it normal for pros to ignore the gap? PS Happy Halloween!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10804 posts
1270 upvotes
Brampton
briat01 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 9:00 pm
Wow, good to know this happens to the pros too. Seriously.. thank you again for all your help and support. You made a stressful and expensive experience much less stressful for us thanks to your invaluable experience. Have you ever considered writing a book on hardwood now that you don't do it anymore? Or teaching it as a trade in school?
Glad to help! No never considered that lol Face With Tears Of Joy
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Jul 16, 2003
3700 posts
675 upvotes
Local shop has Lauzon, Mercier, and Vintage engineered hardwood for $3 / sq ft.

That's a good price, right?
(i think the RFD motto of "buy now, think later" is going through me)
Ebay - 195 - 0 - 0
Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 82 - 0 - 0
Grailed - 31 - 0 - 0

I sell clothes for cheap
Nov 2, 2018
45 posts
19 upvotes
goat wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 5:30 pm
Local shop has Lauzon, Mercier, and Vintage engineered hardwood for $3 / sq ft.

That's a good price, right?
(i think the RFD motto of "buy now, think later" is going through me)
Where's that?
Mar 4, 2015
8 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi guys,
I got a quote for $5000 for a re-finishing job.
This includes sanding and staining 1200 sqf of hardwood ($3.60/sqf), removal and installation of new quarter rounds/shoemolding and "floor repair" for 2 areas in the living room.
I just purchased the home so the rooms are all completely empty, no need to move furniture etc.

Is the quote reasonable or should I look further? I did get a lower quote but it would be done by 1 guy and it was just a "rough estimate" so I am assuming he would end up charging more and would take much longer.

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Feb 7, 2018
81 posts
5 upvotes
Hi Patrob we got round to cleaning our new solid maple floors after they were installed a few weeks ago and noticed this crack. Does it look like something we could've caused by dropping something/moving furniture? Or was it maybe caused by nailing too hard? (We noticed some boards had cracked tongues when the installers were working; is this bad?)
Images
  • IMG_9331.JPG
  • IMG_9330.JPG
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10804 posts
1270 upvotes
Brampton
MagyarGyerek wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:51 pm
Hi guys,
This includes sanding and staining 1200 sqf of hardwood ($3.60/sqf), removal and installation of new quarter rounds/shoemolding and "floor repair" for 2 areas in the living room.
I just purchased the home so the rooms are all completely empty, no need to move furniture etc.

Is the quote reasonable or should I look further? I did get a lower quote but it would be done by 1 guy and it was just a "rough estimate" so I am assuming he would end up charging more and would take much longer.

Please let me know.

Thanks!
Quote sounds about right Thumbs Up Sign Sure you can find somebody even cheaper but you know how that goes sometimes lol Just check pics of his previous jobs, etc.
Apr 17, 2005
10804 posts
1270 upvotes
Brampton
briat01 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 4:40 pm
Hi Patrob we got round to cleaning our new solid maple floors after they were installed a few weeks ago and noticed this crack. Does it look like something we could've caused by dropping something/moving furniture? Or was it maybe caused by nailing too hard? (We noticed some boards had cracked tongues when the installers were working; is this bad?)
Looks like a chip from the middle of the board. Might be a manufacturer defect. Doesn't look like the nailer caused it unless there's a chip on the edge. That board would need to be replaced unless it doesn't bother you.
45 posts
19 upvotes
I found some really nice Oak hardwood flooring that I like at a store near me for $3.99/sq.ft.......Should I even bother looking for a cheaper price or is that about the lowest I'll find?
Mar 22, 2017
175 posts
139 upvotes
MagyarGyerek wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:51 pm
Hi guys,

Please let me know.

Thanks!
One thing I'd check is what product they're using for your floors. Is it three coats of a high-quality two-part catalyzed finish, or is it two coats of a cheap single-component that'll wear quickly? The good stuff costs more, so factor it into the price. Same with shoe molding - are they using solid wood or MDF? Solid wood wears better (a bit more ding resistant).
Nov 6, 2009
658 posts
55 upvotes
-got following quote. How does the price sound?
1. $5800 to sand and stain 2 sets of stairs with color of choice (including railing along stairs and 2 rails upstairs and 2 corresponding nosing's, posts etc.), pictures attached.
2. $2700 to sand and refinish 2 rooms (total 500 sq. ft. for both rooms)
Images
  • 1.PNG
  • 2.PNG
May 8, 2017
122 posts
53 upvotes
Hi..

I am looking to install hardwood on the main floor.
I went to Lowes and saw solid hardwood of "Opal Creek Classic Scrape 5-in W Prefinished Wood Trail Oak Hardwood Flooring".

Any Idea how is this hardwood. The lady at the lowes told me that engineered hardwood is better than solid hardwood. Is it the case?