Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Feb 7, 2018
81 posts
5 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 9:20 pm
Looks like a chip from the middle of the board. Might be a manufacturer defect. Doesn't look like the nailer caused it unless there's a chip on the edge. That board would need to be replaced unless it doesn't bother you.
Thanks for the expert eyes Patrob. I doubt I can find anyone willing to come to replace just 1 board so we'll have to live with it. It's too bad the contractor didn't swap it out for a non-defective board when they were installing... we had extras left over.
Mar 23, 2015
135 posts
4 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Hi patrob,

I am looking for Vinyl Plank Flooring for my basement and want to see what you guys can recommend.

Things that are important for me:

• Beautiful and realistic like finish
• Long lasting and good quality

These are something that I have in mind but want to see if there is even something better.

Your text to link here...

and

Thank in advance.

Ildasm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
greenfury wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 7:49 pm
Hi..

I am looking to install hardwood on the main floor.
I went to Lowes and saw solid hardwood of "Opal Creek Classic Scrape 5-in W Prefinished Wood Trail Oak Hardwood Flooring".

Any Idea how is this hardwood. The lady at the lowes told me that engineered hardwood is better than solid hardwood. Is it the case?
Yes engineered is better than solid wood. Can't comment on their hardwood quality.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
briat01 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 11:04 pm
Thanks for the expert eyes Patrob. I doubt I can find anyone willing to come to replace just 1 board so we'll have to live with it. It's too bad the contractor didn't swap it out for a non-defective board when they were installing... we had extras left over.
I know someone who might be able to replace one board for you Grinning Face if you ever decide lol During the job you can easily miss a board with that small defect.
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
Ildasm wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:23 pm
Hi patrob,

I am looking for Vinyl Plank Flooring for my basement and want to see what you guys can recommend.

Things that are important for me:

• Beautiful and realistic like finish
• Long lasting and good quality

These are something that I have in mind but want to see if there is even something better.

and

Thank in advance.

Ildasm
Only Torlys I will recommend https://www.torlys.com/residential/prod ... gJhUfD_BwE
177 posts
43 upvotes
Anyone has recommended brands for engineered hardwood floors?

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
Ildasm wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 2:15 pm
Thank you very much Sir!

What's the store to buy them? I live in Burlington Ontario
Best to check their dealer list and call around for best price.
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
steph3n wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 12:40 am
Anyone has recommended brands for engineered hardwood floors?

Thanks
Vintage, Mirage, Preverco &/or Superior.
81 posts
5 upvotes
patrob wrote:
Nov 25th, 2018 8:54 pm
I know someone who might be able to replace one board for you Grinning Face if you ever decide lol During the job you can easily miss a board with that small defect.
Thanks for thinking of me Patrob! Mind sharing their contact info?

By the way, how do you manage window condensation vs hardwood shrinking in the winter? I've heard you need to turn down the humidity to avoid condensation, which I would like to do to avoid condensation dripping onto the hardwood floors. But I don't want the wood to shrink because of low humidity
Feb 11, 2009
177 posts
43 upvotes
Currently I have hardwood floors in the living room and tiles in the closed kitchen.

I am planning to open up the kitchen and have an open concept. Does anyone know if it is possible to match the existing hardwood floor with engineered wood floors or should I go with hardwood floors as well? Also I have no idea what brand the current living room has so is the installation type standard accros all brands?

Thanks!
Dec 12, 2018
1 posts
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a hardwood floor installer in the GTA please? We reside within Toronto.
We just moved into a new house and would like to get new hardwood floors put in. It's a house built in the 1950's and has the original hardwood floors (thin 1.75" strips). The floors are in poor condition and very squeaky in many areas.

We have received one quote so far, and would like to get a few more before deciding on an installer. The installer we've seen to date says that he will install the new hardwood on top of the existing old hardwood. He said that doing so and nailing the new floor down into the old hardwood will eliminate the squeaks. Anyone have any insight as to whether this is advisable? Also, of course, any recommendations for a hardwood floor installer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!