[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
briat01 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 11:20 pm
Thanks for thinking of me Patrob! Mind sharing their contact info?

By the way, how do you manage window condensation vs hardwood shrinking in the winter? I've heard you need to turn down the humidity to avoid condensation, which I would like to do to avoid condensation dripping onto the hardwood floors. But I don't want the wood to shrink because of low humidity
Yes it's complicated to manage both unless you have an HRV system or you have to use the central fan etc. For contact info, just message me lol Winking Face
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
steph3n wrote:
Dec 7th, 2018 11:53 am
Currently I have hardwood floors in the living room and tiles in the closed kitchen.

I am planning to open up the kitchen and have an open concept. Does anyone know if it is possible to match the existing hardwood floor with engineered wood floors or should I go with hardwood floors as well? Also I have no idea what brand the current living room has so is the installation type standard accros all brands?

Thanks!
Most reputable manufacturers these days make solid and engineered wood using the same stain and finishes. If you get someone to come to your house for appraisal they will have samples and you can get a close enough match. Won't be 100% but close. You might have to pay for that service unless you go to the store and get couple of samples and do that yourself.
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
fir1177 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 1:21 pm
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a hardwood floor installer in the GTA please? We reside within Toronto.
We just moved into a new house and would like to get new hardwood floors put in. It's a house built in the 1950's and has the original hardwood floors (thin 1.75" strips). The floors are in poor condition and very squeaky in many areas.

We have received one quote so far, and would like to get a few more before deciding on an installer. The installer we've seen to date says that he will install the new hardwood on top of the existing old hardwood. He said that doing so and nailing the new floor down into the old hardwood will eliminate the squeaks. Anyone have any insight as to whether this is advisable? Also, of course, any recommendations for a hardwood floor installer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
You never want to install hardwood on the old 3/8" strips!! That guy should be excluded from your list lol Existing hardwood has to be removed, fix all the squeaks of the subfloor and install new. Additional subfloor may be required depending on the condition of existing subfloor etc. These types of older homes are more difficult to work with than newer homes, there's usually additional costs to get the job done right. Message me for more info.
474 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks patrob for the many years of dishing out advice on this thread, I've been reading as much as possible as I gear up to take a shot at my first hardwood flooring project.

A couple of questions on properly securing subfloor before installing hardwood. Our 10 year old townhouse floors have lots of noises (which I would describe as creaks rather than squeaks) that drive me nuts.

I gathered from previous posts that for 5/8" or 3/4" osb/plywood we should use 2" subfloor screws spaced 6" to 8" apart. Should we remove the original screws or nails that were used to secure the subfloor or just leave them there?

If you aren't removing the original screws or nails, meaning you can't lift up the subfloor to take a look underneath, how do you feel confident of the joist locations? If you were to follow the line of the original screws or nails you would have to assume the builders did a good job of hitting all the joists, is that a safe bet?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
nonlinear wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 10:47 pm
Thanks patrob for the many years of dishing out advice on this thread, I've been reading as much as possible as I gear up to take a shot at my first hardwood flooring project.

A couple of questions on properly securing subfloor before installing hardwood. Our 10 year old townhouse floors have lots of noises (which I would describe as creaks rather than squeaks) that drive me nuts.

I gathered from previous posts that for 5/8" or 3/4" osb/plywood we should use 2" subfloor screws spaced 6" to 8" apart. Should we remove the original screws or nails that were used to secure the subfloor or just leave them there?

If you aren't removing the original screws or nails, meaning you can't lift up the subfloor to take a look underneath, how do you feel confident of the joist locations? If you were to follow the line of the original screws or nails you would have to assume the builders did a good job of hitting all the joists, is that a safe bet?
Yes 2" screws and do not remove existing nails/screws. When you are screwing it down, you will "feel" that you are hitting the joist. Otherwise the screw will just keep on spinning.
461 posts
45 upvotes
Hi everyone,

Looking for advise on BSL hardwood flooring.
I saw the question was asked on pg 109 but no concrete info was provided.

Found a matching color in the BSL maple mocha or walnut color but was interested to know how is their product over time.

Also, was told it's a Quebec company and Canadian wood, but nowhere on the website it clearly states that.

Would like to avoid any foreign wood due to possible chemicals, which is what I'm told.

The area is all 4 kids bedrooms hence would appreciate any feedback.
Feb 11, 2009
176 posts
43 upvotes
Is there a way to find the brand of my hardwood flooring? For example I need to extend my current floor to another area or make some repairs?

Newer hardwood floors don't have the same tongue and groove.

Thanks!
Nov 21, 2007
461 posts
45 upvotes
Navon01 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 6:08 pm
Hi everyone,

Found a matching color in the BSL maple mocha or walnut color but was interested to know how is their product over time.

Also, was told it's a Quebec company and Canadian wood, but nowhere on the website it clearly states that.

Would like to avoid any foreign wood due to possible chemicals, which is what I'm told.

Anyone has experience with BSL hardwood floors? Specifically whether they are safe for kids bedrooms?
Called BSL, but other then "no, I don't think they are made in China" I couldn't get any more info...
Mar 6, 2005
614 posts
160 upvotes
Looking to buy some Vinyl flooring for a basement (500sqft). So far I have got an amazing price of $2.10 on the below but it is not 100% my ideal color.
https://www.lowes.ca/vinyl-flooring/dur ... m=Duraclic

I looked at Torlys but the cork bottom is not something I want to put down as the basement gets some water during high water events from the city (2x in 10x years). It’s only a small area 3x3 of the 25x25’ that gets a little wet.. Below are a few I saw today at a few stores just wondering if anyone knows where to get these at an amazing price?

Mohawk SolidTech Vinyl Shadow Wood
True North Dark Classic Oak Vinyl
Armstrong Dark Oak Vinyl

Thanks T
May 25, 2016
39 posts
Hi guys, hopefully somebody can give me an answer on this.

I finished my basement 10 year ago and when I did I installed 18mm laminate flooring 1600 sq feet of it, I did not put in a sub floor just foam underlayment. A year later I installed a gas fireplace in one of the corners of the room for some extra heat as it's a large basement.
Well 3 years ago I noticed some of the boards separating at the ends near the entrance to my basement which is completely opposite of where the fireplace is installed. It was very minor, and was only during the winter month, once summer came they went back together. Each year since then it has become progressively worse. Well this year I noticed that the flooring by the fireplace is wavy and bubbled like it has gotten wet, but it hasn't, there is no dampness there at all, it appears to be dried out possibly because of the fireplace and has shrunk very tight hence separating the floor in other areas of the basement. Does this make sense?
Either or it looks like I will have to replace 1600 sq feet of flooring. From a couple of people I have spoken to Ive been told; it's cause you don't have a subfloor; its cause you cant use hard work or laminate in a basement because of humidity, only use vinyl or tile; it's faulty flooring....
So before I go any further I need to figure out what caused this and how to not have it happen again, any help is appreciated, please post or pm me. I will take some pics and post them shortly.
Thanks
Images
  • IMG_7111.jpg
  • IMG_7112.jpg
  • IMG_7113.jpg
  • IMG_7114.jpg
  • IMG_7115.jpg
  • IMG_7116.jpg
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
Navon01 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 6:08 pm
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately not familiar with this brand sorry.
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
steph3n wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 6:18 pm
Is there a way to find the brand of my hardwood flooring? For example I need to extend my current floor to another area or make some repairs?

Newer hardwood floors don't have the same tongue and groove.

Thanks!
Every milling company will have their own specific cut for T&G. The reputable manufacturers may have a stamp on the back but most don't so you may be simply out of luck. If you are extending to another area, you may be able to re-cut the groove to fit existing tongue or vice versa. Same for repair, cut the tongue off but this may not always work as the width and height might be different.
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
tpirovol wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 2:29 pm
Looking to buy some Vinyl flooring for a basement (500sqft). So far I have got an amazing price of $2.10 on the below but it is not 100% my ideal color.
https://www.lowes.ca/vinyl-flooring/dur ... m=Duraclic

I looked at Torlys but the cork bottom is not something I want to put down as the basement gets some water during high water events from the city (2x in 10x years). It’s only a small area 3x3 of the 25x25’ that gets a little wet.. Below are a few I saw today at a few stores just wondering if anyone knows where to get these at an amazing price?

Mohawk SolidTech Vinyl Shadow Wood
True North Dark Classic Oak Vinyl
Armstrong Dark Oak Vinyl

Thanks T
Sorry can't help you with vinyl pricing or info about it.
There must be a solution to stop the water? I would fix that before proceeding with the new floors. But otherwise solid vinyl might be a solution.
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1335 upvotes
Brampton
vedder311 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 7:02 pm
Hi guys, hopefully somebody can give me an answer on this.

I finished my basement 10 year ago and when I did I installed 18mm laminate flooring 1600 sq feet of it, I did not put in a sub floor just foam underlayment. A year later I installed a gas fireplace in one of the corners of the room for some extra heat as it's a large basement.
Well 3 years ago I noticed some of the boards separating at the ends near the entrance to my basement which is completely opposite of where the fireplace is installed. It was very minor, and was only during the winter month, once summer came they went back together. Each year since then it has become progressively worse. Well this year I noticed that the flooring by the fireplace is wavy and bubbled like it has gotten wet, but it hasn't, there is no dampness there at all, it appears to be dried out possibly because of the fireplace and has shrunk very tight hence separating the floor in other areas of the basement. Does this make sense?
Either or it looks like I will have to replace 1600 sq feet of flooring. From a couple of people I have spoken to Ive been told; it's cause you don't have a subfloor; its cause you cant use hard work or laminate in a basement because of humidity, only use vinyl or tile; it's faulty flooring....
So before I go any further I need to figure out what caused this and how to not have it happen again, any help is appreciated, please post or pm me. I will take some pics and post them shortly.
Thanks
Not building a subfloor may not prevent this sort of issue anyway. There's always a solution to fix the problem. Since it's laminate it's possible to unlock it, fix it and put it back. But first you need to find what the cause is.
81 posts
5 upvotes
Happy New Year Patrob! I hope you had an amazing holiday with your family and thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me since I joined this forum last year. Whatever pursuits you are up to this year, I hope you a prosperous year.