Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

Sep 4, 2006
830 posts
62 upvotes
Nettles wrote:
May 3rd, 2019 9:21 pm
How much does it cost for one staircase (white risers, ~10 steps, sanding & painting the top part of the railing, laminate floors on two landings on the stairs, and getting the steps to match the colour of the laminate installed upstairs)? I'm getting a $4500 + material quote, is that reasonable for just the stairs?
I paid 180 per stair for materials and labor. Oak stairs stained to match the railings. No other changes to railings.
Happy Koodo customer with S9 and the 25$ unltd Canada plan :-)
Dec 23, 2007
784 posts
146 upvotes
Winnipeg
Have you ever hear of the brand name "Seasons flooring" or "husky" hardwood floors. Windsor Plywood sells this brand name and the quality seems to be pretty good from what i can tell by looking at it.

Just wondering what your thoughts were and if you installed or know of anyone who has before?

Thanks
May 7, 2019
1 posts
Hello,
I’m wondering if anyone has experience with Hardwood Planet engineered floors?
I’ve been searching for a dark brown colour (similar to Erie by Tosca, or Charcoal by Coswick) in a 7” oak plank, matte finish with light wire brushed. Hardwood Planet manufacturers in Belarus and finishes locally, and they’re offering to colour match for me to produce 2900 sq ft of flooring in the finished that I want. They use three layer technology, pine core, as oppose to plywood and have a 4mm wear layer. Tosca has the finish and colour I like but i recently found out they’re manufactured now in China and as they were bought out by a company called Oasis flooring, and they don’t have up to date info on if they’re VOC free, or if they use urea-formaldehyde resin etc.
I’ve seen what’s available in ALL the other brands (mirage, vintage, superior, Lauzon, Bruce, Shaw, Armstrong, fuzion, grandeur, Peverco, satin finish, muskoka, mercier, northern wide plank, you name it!)
Can anyone comment on results installing Hardwood Planet?
Dec 23, 2007
784 posts
146 upvotes
Winnipeg
Wondering if you also heard of "opal creek" flooring. Can't find many reviews on it.
Sep 29, 2005
231 posts
17 upvotes
So far one of the best is preverco.
Wouldn’t touch satin finish, bruce or lauzon. Vintage is made overseas. Other small manufacturer- your own risk.
That’s from my own experience as i do home renovations. I have guys doing floors for me and I tend to believe them.
"Money is like a sixth sense without which you cannot make a complete use of the other five." -
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Nov 17, 2013
77 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Disappointed But Relieved Face
atLANtic wrote:
May 12th, 2019 8:47 pm
Wouldn’t touch satin finish, bruce or lauzon. Vintage is made overseas. Other small manufacturer- your own risk.
That’s from my own experience as i do home renovations. I have guys doing floors for me and I tend to believe them.
Preverco is very similar to lauzon, appalachian, and mercier and are all decent quality materials.

Satin finish is no longer in operation and wasn't the greatest manufacturer, Bruce is defintely one of the worst products and would never recommend to anyone.

Haven't come across any Vintage/mirage product that wasn't made in Canada so im not sure where you are getting this information from.
Nov 17, 2013
77 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Nettles wrote:
How much does it cost for one staircase (white risers, ~10 steps, sanding & painting the top part of the railing, laminate floors on two landings on the stairs, and getting the steps to match the colour of the laminate installed upstairs)? I'm getting a $4500 + material quote, is that reasonable for just the stairs?
Quotes will vary depending on the dimensions and type of steps you have. On average you are looking anywhere between $150-300 per step material and labor included. Re-finishing the handrail will be around $15-20 per foot and spindles start from 15$ and up for material and labor.
Mar 19, 2003
567 posts
129 upvotes
For 4" to 5" engineered hardwood, what is the avg price for decent stuff? Should I bother looking at HD/Costco or just go straight to the specialty stores?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
Bruised_Lee wrote:
May 1st, 2019 11:43 am
I'm exploring flooring options. My main floor has Satin Flooring - Generations - Studio - Natural Finish in Murano Red Oak ( 1GS5E358MURNF ). Its a 5/8" x 3-5/8" engineered hardwood that covers both the main living area and kitchen. The hardwood stairs were stained to match the dark finish. The previous homeowner did not care for the flooring at all. There is significant water damage, scratches, and dings. The floor looks dull compared to the attic stock I found when I moved in.

The upper floor hallways and bedrooms are carpeted. I would like to replace the carpet. At first, I intended to match the existing main floor hardwood. Unfortunately Satin Flooring, a Toronto based company, has filed for bankruptcy. I've been unable to contact them to help locate a retailer. I've also tried a couple of local shops but was out of luck.

Options :

1. Source a similar engineered hardwood for upper floors, refinish the existing engineered hardwood and stairs to match the new.
2. Source an alternate engineered hardwood for upper floors, remove and replace the the existing flooring on main floor and refinish the stairs to match the new.
3. Source an luxury vinyl for upper floors and remove and replace the the existing flooring with vinyl and refinish the stairs to match the new.
4. Source an laminate for upper floors and remove and replace the the existing flooring with laminate and refinish the stairs to match the new.

Questions :
For Option No.1, would the refinish top coat be equivalent to the pre-finished hardwood? Is it worth the time and energy?
For Option No.3, can I install vinyl over the existing engineered hardwood instead?

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Satin Finish is not the best product. I would not even bother refinishing it therefore remove main floor, remove carpet and install brand new floors throughout to match existing colour of the stairs or close to. Refinishing stairs is expensive, time taking and there's really no need. You could save money by installing laminate upstairs if you can find something similar to main floor. It's a lot more durable but it just doesn't have the same look and feel as hardwood.
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
Nettles wrote:
If you're recapping the stairs from carpet to hardwood then the price is ok but if it's just refreshing, it's slightly high. If you have hardwood stairs, the landings should be hardwood too not laminate. Stained steps with white risers and stringers take double the time for refinishing.
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
lak8 wrote:
May 7th, 2019 9:58 pm
Have you ever hear of the brand name "Seasons flooring" or "husky" hardwood floors. Windsor Plywood sells this brand name and the quality seems to be pretty good from what i can tell by looking at it.

Just wondering what your thoughts were and if you installed or know of anyone who has before?

Thanks
Haven't heard about it. I prefer to stay with reputable local hardwood companies with good customer service in case you have any issues. Samples always look good and visually most floors look the same. Unfortunately most people can't tell the difference.
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
elai8515 wrote:
May 8th, 2019 5:02 pm
Hello,
I’m wondering if anyone has experience with Hardwood Planet engineered floors?
I’ve been searching for a dark brown colour (similar to Erie by Tosca, or Charcoal by Coswick) in a 7” oak plank, matte finish with light wire brushed. Hardwood Planet manufacturers in Belarus and finishes locally, and they’re offering to colour match for me to produce 2900 sq ft of flooring in the finished that I want. They use three layer technology, pine core, as oppose to plywood and have a 4mm wear layer. Tosca has the finish and colour I like but i recently found out they’re manufactured now in China and as they were bought out by a company called Oasis flooring, and they don’t have up to date info on if they’re VOC free, or if they use urea-formaldehyde resin etc.
I’ve seen what’s available in ALL the other brands (mirage, vintage, superior, Lauzon, Bruce, Shaw, Armstrong, fuzion, grandeur, Peverco, satin finish, muskoka, mercier, northern wide plank, you name it!)
Can anyone comment on results installing Hardwood Planet?
Not familiar with their products but the production technology 3 layer etc. sounds good. But the thing is reputable manufacturers test their products for strength glue bonding, possible de-lamination etc. Do they as well?? When you are colour matching you better make sure you have more than enough to finish the project because more likely if you need more of little amount, they will charge you for it big time. And you have no guarantee that the colour matching will match. If you purchase something that's produced daily, you know it will match.
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
atLANtic wrote:
May 12th, 2019 8:47 pm
The biggest problem with Preverco engineered is dry de-lamination. If you lower the humidity slightly below recommended = problems! Noticed also fair amount of inconsistent colour.

Most Vintage products are made in Canada. Only Solid Sawn is manufactured and scraped overseas to strict Vintage specs. Every shipment is inspected and tested before going to production unlike any other manufacturer. IMO Vintage is still one of the best on the market.
Apr 17, 2005
10903 posts
1325 upvotes
Brampton
dablackgoku1234 wrote:
May 15th, 2019 10:25 am
For 4" to 5" engineered hardwood, what is the avg price for decent stuff? Should I bother looking at HD/Costco or just go straight to the specialty stores?
I would definitely go to specialized hardwood store and prices will vary so shop around.