Home & Garden

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread

May 20, 2019
4 posts
creative77 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 5:30 pm
anyone heard of american oak (manufacturer) for engineered hardwood...9/16 thick engineered wood - 3mm veneer on plywood core or the falcon flooring 2mm veneer 3/4 thick plywood core
i found the real brand manufacturer as grs wood products..i guess its a stay from brand based on what i read here
May 20, 2019
4 posts
creative77 wrote:
May 24th, 2019 5:30 pm
anyone heard of american oak (manufacturer) for engineered hardwood...9/16 thick engineered wood - 3mm veneer on plywood core or the falcon flooring 2mm veneer 3/4 thick plywood core
i found the real brand manufacturer of that american oak to be grs wood products..i guess its a stay from brand based on what i read here..anyone heard of falcon flooring...being offered at dragona and flooring liquidators
Feb 26, 2019
21 posts
10 upvotes
I’m in Ottawa. Looking for supply only of about 1200 sqft of Vintage floors. Looking for 4” wide natural white oak. Can anyone recommend a supplier in the area that gives fair prices prices? Any ballpark in material costs that I should expect?
Jun 27, 2018
44 posts
1 upvote
tempeste wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2019 11:14 am
Our new floor sounds like rice krispies. Would really appreciate any comments.

- Engineered hardwood (manufacturer Laurentian Hardwood)
I am sorry that I cannot help with a solution, but I wonder if you can tell what line of Laurentian Hardwood is this? We were looking to purchase Laurentian Hardwood but now got scared.
Oct 2, 2007
166 posts
46 upvotes
wind13 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2019 8:42 pm
I am sorry that I cannot help with a solution, but I wonder if you can tell what line of Laurentian Hardwood is this? We were looking to purchase Laurentian Hardwood but now got scared.
LAULMACY91RFP, Natural Acaicia is the style and it's part of the Kendall Lock 5" Exotics. They're discontinuing it apparently

The rep came in to look at the floor and wouldn't comment on anything technical. They just took 2 extra boards and are going to ship them to China for inspection (? not sure why not to Toronto). Said it would be a couple of months to finish the process. I wouldn't touch any of LH or their other companies at this point.

Had another flooring expert suggesting the subfloor isn't completely flat. The creaks are caused by the boards or staples rubbing against wax paper.
Feb 27, 2019
4 posts
We move into our new home in August. It's 19 years old and approximately 3700sqft. We'd like to replace all flooring (some older hardwood and mostly carpet) with new engineered flooring. Looking for something dark, wire brushed, and matte. Any suggestions of where to shop and get the best price? We would want to get it professionally installed. New home is in Brooklin (North Whitby).

Thanks
Jun 27, 2018
44 posts
1 upvote
We are constructing a house and it appeared as we have to go with the builders flooring supplier, the best we can afford is a hardwood that can be purchased elsewhere for 7$ or so. (yes they charge more....). We have lots of area to hardwood, about 2000 sq.f. Now came the problem: the whole point of going hardwood was to have VOC free flooring (and we all in the family hate carpet floors). So far we identified only one brand that is FloorScore certified, is in our price range and is sold through our builder supplier. It Laurentian. We considered LVP but phtalate free /Floor score certified LVP starts at about the same price as hardwood!... And does feel plastic with bare feet... Laurentian comes with 2mm only, on all their collections. We do not plan to sand it ever (moving out for a month, dust everywhere etc is nice what we want), but how 2 mm works in terms of denting? Any other ideas which hardwood can be floorscore certified and with than price range? The floor supplier also sell Appalachian and Lauzon, but I am not sure if these two brands make anything in that price range, and if the lowest price wood from them is of a great quality....
Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1344 upvotes
Brampton
tempeste wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2019 11:14 am
Our new floor sounds like rice krispies. Would really appreciate any comments.

(tons of details in the description)

Builders are pointing to humidity as the issue. Moisture content of floor is 6% (which seems fine after researching?).

Humidity of the house was a little dry in April 2019 around 33% @ 20c. Installed whole-house humidifier and has since been 43% @ 20c. No difference, problem seems worse.

A few other details
- Engineered hardwood (manufacturer Laurentian Hardwood)
- Subfloor is "subfloor grade" OSB. Could be a little flatter (some baseboard gaps)
- Floor installed with staples, unsure of gauge
- Wax paper as underlay
- Issue occurs in high traffic areas, little to no issue in areas that aren't regularly walked on.
- NS house, 5500sqft, forced air, possession April 1st 2019. No floor issues when purchased.
Sorry for late reply. Looking at the video it's totally unacceptable. During the construction of the house it might have been at higher humidity levels due to construction. Lot of houses are heated with shwank/propane heat which generates a lot of humidity. That could be one of the reasons. When you turned the actual furnace on, it's dry air heat and to me this looks like it (I could be wrong). Talk to the builder, get an independent certified NWFA hardwood flooring inspector or building inspector. Also get the flooring manufacturer involved. IMO this floor will most likely be ripped out. Keep pushing, they have to fix it!
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1344 upvotes
Brampton
tempeste wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 10:56 am
LAULMACY91RFP, Natural Acaicia is the style and it's part of the Kendall Lock 5" Exotics. They're discontinuing it apparently

The rep came in to look at the floor and wouldn't comment on anything technical. They just took 2 extra boards and are going to ship them to China for inspection (? not sure why not to Toronto). Said it would be a couple of months to finish the process. I wouldn't touch any of LH or their other companies at this point.

Had another flooring expert suggesting the subfloor isn't completely flat. The creaks are caused by the boards or staples rubbing against wax paper.
Their opinions are total BS! IMO the floor is not fastened properly to the subfloor and could be wrong fastener, not frequent enough or the subfloor dried out and staples got loose. And that's one of the reasons I hate staples! The floor would not squeak rubbing against wax paper and never came across it in 25 years! Call the manufacturer again and let them know that waiting few months for answers is unacceptable! And let them know that media would love a story like this! If you take this to court, you will win this case. Get NWFA inspector involved and get a written report, will cost you few hundred bucks but this is what you need.
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1344 upvotes
Brampton
wind13 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 12:08 pm
We are constructing a house and it appeared as we have to go with the builders flooring supplier, the best we can afford is a hardwood that can be purchased elsewhere for 7$ or so. (yes they charge more....). We have lots of area to hardwood, about 2000 sq.f. Now came the problem: the whole point of going hardwood was to have VOC free flooring (and we all in the family hate carpet floors). So far we identified only one brand that is FloorScore certified, is in our price range and is sold through our builder supplier. It Laurentian. We considered LVP but phtalate free /Floor score certified LVP starts at about the same price as hardwood!... And does feel plastic with bare feet... Laurentian comes with 2mm only, on all their collections. We do not plan to sand it ever (moving out for a month, dust everywhere etc is nice what we want), but how 2 mm works in terms of denting? Any other ideas which hardwood can be floorscore certified and with than price range? The floor supplier also sell Appalachian and Lauzon, but I am not sure if these two brands make anything in that price range, and if the lowest price wood from them is of a great quality....
Thanks!
If you have to go with the builder you don't have much choice. Otherwise take the carpet and do it after closing, simple. You will have more choices on which product to get that's VOC free. Sometimes you may be able to deal with the installation company and choose a different product that the builder doesn't offer.
Apr 17, 2005
10906 posts
1344 upvotes
Brampton
KathieD92427 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 5:26 pm
We move into our new home in August. It's 19 years old and approximately 3700sqft. We'd like to replace all flooring (some older hardwood and mostly carpet) with new engineered flooring. Looking for something dark, wire brushed, and matte. Any suggestions of where to shop and get the best price? We would want to get it professionally installed. New home is in Brooklin (North Whitby).

Thanks
Just Google local hardwood flooring companies in your area and start there. You can also look at Homestars.
159 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Question about wire brushed floors - Are they harder to clean than smooth floors? I have two cats and from time to time they throw up on the floor, and worry that it will get stuck in the grooves of the wire brushed finish and be a pain to clean.
Jun 27, 2018
44 posts
1 upvote
patrob wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 10:41 pm
If you have to go with the builder you don't have much choice. Otherwise take the carpet and do it after closing, simple. You will have more choices on which product to get that's VOC free. Sometimes you may be able to deal with the installation company and choose a different product that the builder doesn't offer.
Installing carpets now everywhere to reap it completely of right away is about 8k of lost money, as the builder chargers at least 4$ per sq.f. (not inclusive the labor for removal). For that Laurentian hardwood, it comes to about 11$ per sq.f. including install and waste via builder (yes it can be done cheaper somewhere else), and to be honest, our maximum budget as of now is 12$ per sq.f. And the builder can consider go with another brand if we tell them which one would fit in our budget, but we simply do not know, there are too many of the hardwoods around, we really tried, but it is hard if you knew nothing a month ago. If we go that way with carpets we will be not able to afford any better hardwood afterward as it would leave us with 8$ per sq..f. money left and it is not much of hardwood varieties for that price, including labor. I am not sure I understand the rationale of the path with carpets...
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2007
1104 posts
157 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi @patrob, i just bumped into this thread as i started researching about home rennovation. Its 678 pages long and i am newbie in this field. Appreciate if there is any summary an be created for the types of flooring and approximate prices and any recommended places to begin with.

Myself i have around 550 sft main floor (total 1700) and planning to change the old hardwood floor along with tiles from entrance to all the way kitchen.
I am thinking of getting the hardwood installed for the entire floor including the kitchen area.
I stopped at costco and saw laminated floors (15mm) looks awsome for $1.99sft and expecting to get installed $2sft..which might end up costing under $3000.

But later on friends and family recommending, engineering wood, hardwood and venyl (water resistant) instead of laminating.
So my question is the costco laminating wood advertised at $1.99 is not good for my purpose (kitchen and entrance as well) ?
Should i go with Venyl or engineering hardwood ?
Which is best and reasonable option. dont have too much budge due to kitchen, washroom and concrete jobs at the same time.

Appreciate any insights in this regard.
Sep 24, 2006
599 posts
61 upvotes
Guelph, On
Quick question about fixing orange stains parquet floors. I am renting a unit and one of the plants leaked, went through the carpet that it was on and left an orange stain and didn't know until it was way too late. I managed to remove some of the damage with a coarse sand paper but I need to do some work. Once I remove the varnish from the parquet floors, clean the floor do I just use the stain that matches the floor then use a clear finish. This is the damage so if anyone can give suggestions the floor... thanks